Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!Advice needed on building own pc

• Please log in to reply

battison10

battison10

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Have looked around into buying a new "off the shelf" pc but have found the spec you get for the money is not a lot in some cases so have opted to look into buying the components and building my own.  I would estimate that i have a budget of around £550-£650 and the system would need to be multipurpose!!

I would primarily use it for business work (Word, Excel etc) and also need it to run Photoshop CC as photography is my hobby.  My Daughter would be using it to spend time playing the Sims!!

I would not use it to run games but am guessing that i would need a decent graphics card to run Photoshop and the Sims?

Ideally would also like to use a 64 bit version of Windows so i can convert to 8+GB of ram instead of the GB I currently use.

I have done some research and feel confident that with the right components i can do this myself but my current stumbling block is the amount of components out there!!  Ideally i would like to go for an AMD fx8350 or above or even an Intel I7 4770 if money allows with a decent graphics card with it.

My question to community is would you have any recommendations as to what to go for?  I know a lot of you have gone down this build your own route and i'm calling on your expertise/opinions in this!!

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello battison10

A little over your maximum budget but it does include a Windows 8.1 64 - bit OEM disk.

battison10 list of parts

Let us know what you think or if you have any questions.

NB: An appropriate i7 build is not achievable anywhere near your maximum budget, this mainly due to the need to include an OS and a GPU.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Many thanks!! would have to change the case as the unit this sits in (bureau) I can only manage a max height of 445mm!!  In your opinion would the Corsair 200R be suitable?

I could always shave a bit off the total price as I already have 2 existing hard drives (one with photos and music on) so I could format the other one to accommodate the operating system, and also re-use my cd/dvd RW

Many thanks for you help on this :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The Corsair is also a good case and possibly a close second to the Antec, the dimensions however are 497mm x 210mm x 430mm and so is also too high, I will see what I can find at that height and post back.

Good news on already having the optical and HDDs, may I suggest that you add an SSD to your build for the OS as it will speed up your boot times.

You are welcome btw  :)

What about the Corsair here Dimensions 444mm x 185mm x 439mm 

PCPartpicker

Edited by phillpower2, 27 May 2014 - 08:56 AM.
Links added

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Looks brilliant!!!  Regarding the ssd, would you recommend one? and would it be worth installing all programs onto it or just the operating system?  Sorry for all the questions but just need to know I have everything right in my mind before I start!!

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad the case looks ok  :thumbsup:

I highly recommend having an SSD and will look for the best value and spec one and get back to you.

I included a 128GB SSD in my latest build and at present only have Windows 8.1 on it, when I finally get around to playing the latest Tomb Raider I will also keep that on the SSD but nothing else though, your set up would be similar but you would have Photoshop instead of Tomb Raider.

Can I also mention that you do not need a 3rd party AV program with Windows 8 or 8.1 as they both have an upgraded version of Defender which offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Same as I have but now £30 less than I paid last year  :( 128GB Sandisk SSD

Edited by phillpower2, 27 May 2014 - 09:18 AM.
Link added

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Please consider changing the r270X to a GTX 760, similar performance, has OpenGL. and the benefit of CUDA for use in Adobe software. > http://uk.pcpartpick...rd-n760tf2gd5oc

info,  

http://uk.pcpartpick...rd-n760tf2gd5oc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks iammykyl  :thumbsup:

I would have suggested the EVGA GTX 760 that I have but was watching the budget  ;) 

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
What's the difference between the msi and the evga? Sorry for the lack of knowledge !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The EVGA has a Maximum Digital Resolution of 4096x2160 whereas the MSI is 2560x1600, the EVGA as mentioned is more expensive though.

Advertisements

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Thank you :D  ok, have taken your advice and this is the parts list I have come up with, as before I don't need a hard drive as I already have 2 I can utilise along with the cd/dvd rw :D

My parts list

Opinions please as not looking to upgrade too soon!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Good build and it will serve you well  :thumbsup:

Keep us posted on your progress.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Will do, just need to find the cash now!!!  Many thanks for all your help  :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Ok, just a thought but with the case I have chosen, it already includes 1 x 120mm fan, would i need to install any additional fans? not 100% sure as the CPU comes with heatsink/fan and the graphics card comes with 2 fans.