Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help!Advice needed on building own pc

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

I didn`t read the Newegg spec information properly as I thought it had 1 front 120mm and 1 rear 120mm fan, see here

Cooling System 80mm Fans No 120mm Fans Front - 2 x 140/120mm (1 x 120mm LED included)
Top - 2 x 120mm
Rear - 120mm 140mm Fans Front - 2 x 140/120mm (1 x 120mm LED included)

The PSU also has a cooling fan but I would suggest adding a 120mm exhaust fan at the rear of the case, sorry for the oversight  :(

Advertisements

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
No problem, I'm sure you're replying to a load of different posts! Will add this to the shopping list!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for forgiving my blip  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Alternative case source as I see yours is pre order, a different search tool that takes a little time to find parts but often cheaper than  CPP.   Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 RED LED Black ATX, hight is 16.30 inches, is equivalent to 41.4 centimetres,  Yes, get another fan,, one in, one out.   You may need to add one at the top, providing you limited headroom will allow.

http://www.staticice... SPEC-01&spos=3

The GPU fans have little influence on case cooling.   The PSU can help with case cooling if the fan is facing up but I prefer to place fan face down,  if there is an intake opening. 

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Thanks for the info :)  Have ordered the case from Dabs and just got to wait until some money comes in before i start ordering the rest little by little!!  I may even leave the graphics card till last and use the one I have in my current pc as a stop gap (1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5450 (ATI AIB) ), i'm sure this will be ok as a temporary  measure :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Sounds like a plan  :D

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

I hope all goes well!

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

OK, yet another question!! this is my current setup (although running a bit slow at the moment!)

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 32-bit
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1050T 22 °C
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T (AM3) 29 °C
Graphics
BenQ GW2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5450 (ATI AIB) 43 °C
Storage
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 29 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS-00Y5B1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B SCSI CdRom Device

Would it work if i were to take the existing hard drive with OS on and install it on the new pc and then upgrade to the 64 bit version?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

It is not best practice to mix topics but the answer to your question is straightforward so will do no harm, it will not work as the chipset and other drivers for the present MB are on the HDD and this would stop the computer from booting.

There are other considerations as well, you can only do a custom install of one 32-bit to another 64-bit OS + there may also be licence restrictions in place by the fact that the OS on the HDD is the OEM type and so is tied to the present ASUS MB.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

OK, thanks, it was just a thought!! Am I correct in assuming that this is also the one I need (referring back to the original "Battison10" parts list)

http://www.ebuyer.co...0XlMTKAyLvD_BwE

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Aye thats the one  :thumbsup: 

I've always preferred to have an actual MS install disk as opposed to a burned back up disk but thats just my way.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Just be a bit careful of buying parts over an extended time.   Depending on the site policy for DOA parts, not the actual product warranty.   Usually it is 30 days.   If you did have a CPU sitting about for 2 months, install it , than find it was dead, there could be comnplications returning it.   You may incur shipping charges or have to wait for the product to be sent back to the manufacturer for confirmation.   I would try to buy the MB CPU RAM and PSU at one time, after you have the other parts.   Not saying you will have problems, just that you could. 

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Just be a bit careful of buying parts over an extended time.   Depending on the site policy for DOA parts, not the actual product warranty.   Usually it is 30 days.   If you did have a CPU sitting about for 2 months, install it , than find it was dead, there could be comnplications returning it.   You may incur shipping charges or have to wait for the product to be sent back to the manufacturer for confirmation.   I would try to buy the MB CPU RAM and PSU at one time, after you have the other parts.   Not saying you will have problems, just that you could. 

Many thanks for the advice!! - just returned home from work and the case has arrived (like a kid at Christmas with a new toy!!) - must say i'm impressed with it :D  now just need to get all the items to go in it !!

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok all parts ordered credit card to the rescue!! Will keep you updated with progress and no doubt some more questions along the way!! Thanks for all your help so far everyone :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Your welcome :thumbsup:

3 videos from Newegg, gives all the info you will need, I prefer a different order of installation. 

https://www.google.c...l2547l2-5.4l9l0

The G2G How To,  > http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

I hope your card has enough left on it for,

A #2 magnetic tipped Phillips head screwdriver.

A mini MB speaker, like this, > http://cwc-group.com/8ohm.html