Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!Advice needed on building own pc

• Please log in to reply

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Things are starting to  move now :)  motherboard, SSD drive and power supply delivered today :)  Only trouble is that the power supply came packed with a 2 pin plug!! no problem though as I have a habit of saving old cables!!

Will keep you updated on progress :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay battison10, I have not been near a computer since Monday due to unplanned business I had to take care of.

How is it going.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Not good :(  i've connected all the cables, installed the ssd, graphics card etc, can see the green led lights lit up on the motherboard but pc won't turn on :(  any ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Please explain what you mean by it won`t turn on as in what exactly is happening.

Is this inside or outside of the case (a pre build barebones set-up).

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Press the power button on the front case and nothing! Just tried my psu from my existing PC and it works so guessing got a fault psu :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

An example guide here to help you test the new PSU, it is only a basic test but if the PSU does not power up you know that it is DOA.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
DOA :(.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Arranged return via original retailer and now re-ordered with a different one, cost me a little bit more but a couple of quid is not gonna break the bank!! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

What a pain in the proverbial  :(

In answer to your question asked via PM;

on the mother board it has 2 x 4 pin slots which corresponds with the 2 x 4 pin cpu cables on the psu, my graphics card (now a Gainward gtx760 phantom) also has the same inputs along with the cables from the psu. the question is, do i need to connect all the 4 pin cables to the motherboard and the graphics card or just 1 x 4 pin to each?

The two Xs 4 pin from the PSU should both be inserted into the 8 pin ATX socket on the MB, the 2 Xs 4 pin type connections will often clip together to make a single 8 pin connector.

The power supply for you video card will also come from the PSU and there should have been two adapter cables shipped with the card, both of these also need connecting.

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Thank you :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :)

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Oh we'll at least I will have all weekend to spend on it instead of an hour here and there!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I will be around so please keep us posted  :thumbsup:

battison10

battison10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
PSU delivery tomorrow and hopefully OS will arrive too :) Then just to see if it all works!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup: