Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying refurbished desktop

• Please log in to reply

geauxsaints

geauxsaints

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I am very limited on funds and in need of a new refurb desktop.  I primarily use my PC for streaming movies and tv shows.  I also use it for a little bit of work from home, storing pictures, just the usual.  I previously was into gaming, but I never use my PC for gaming anymore.  So I really just need something that will be able to handle the basics and stream videos well.  I am looking to buy refurbished. I don't need the best of the best. I've been making do with a dinosaur and have very little trouble streaming video. However, this PC has many problems with the internal hardware.  I am hoping to find something in the $200-$300 range. I would really prefer something closer to the $200 range but can go higher if I absolutely have to.  I have been looking at refurbished desktops on manufacturers websites, but I really don't know what kind of specs I should be looking for.  Can anyone please give me some guidance or suggestions?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello geauxsaints

As you have a limited budget it may be better to upgrade what you presently have, you mention that you have problems with the present internal hardware, can I ask what sort of problems.

Alternatively, would a refurbished notebook work for you, again your budget will limit your choice but it would give you more options.

If upgrading your present computer is what you decide on, download then run Speccy and post the url for us so we can see what MB etc you have, Speccy details here

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

any modern processor will do, 4 gig ram, any video card with 512Mb of memory, the hdd should be SATA and have 7200 rpm.

The set should have a networking chip, card, or adapter:)

Take into account the chassis - it should be of sufficient size and clean inside (no dust)

That's basically it.  

geauxsaints

geauxsaints

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much for the replies. Phillpower, upgrading my PC Isn't really an option. It's very old, and was put together by someone who I suspect didn't know exactly what they were doing. It's always kind of randomly crashed and then gives me a blue screen that says something along the lines of something not matching up with some kind of internal components. I don't know exactly what it says, but that's kind of the gist of it I think. Anyway, I've inquired about upgrading it before, on this site I think, and was told there wasn't much I could do. I knows budget is small, but there are only 2 of us that use the PC and we literally just use it in place of television. I have to use Word, and things like that. But as far as having a lot of software, or gaming, I don't have to have any of that. I just need something that won't run so slow that I will pull hair out waiting lol. Buying a refurb PC that could be upgraded in the future is a better option for me.
And Lemurian, thanks so much. That information is very helpful. When I am getting ready to make my purchase later, I may post my choice here and see what you all think about it, if you don't mind.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem geauxsaints, found a couple for you to look over here and here

OptiPlex 760 Desktop specs here

You are welcome btw  :)