Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Notification via email of Attack

Password changing username changing

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I received email this evening from Avast which is self explanatory.

"The AVAST forum is currently offline and will remain so for a brief period. It was hacked over this past weekend and user nicknames, user names, email addresses and hashed (one-way encrypted) passwords were compromised. Even though the passwords were hashed, it could be possible for a sophisticated thief to derive many of the passwords. If you use the same password and user names to log into any other sites, please change those passwords immediately. Once our forum is back online, all users will be required to set new passwords as the compromised passwords will no longer work.

This issue only affects our community-support forum. No payment, license, or financial systems or other data were compromised."

I am knowledgeable about changing passwords, but username may be a problem for me even for this site.

Please advise if this notification is legit and the processes that I must undertake to change usernames, notwithstanding this site also.

Advertisements

Noob_B_Fershur

Noob_B_Fershur

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I got the same e-mail, Avast blog entry confirmation: http://blog.avast.co...-due-to-attack/

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

This thread is also being continued somewhere else, in which most cannot see. I suggest that anyone who uses Avast! Forums change your passwords + any site using the same password.