My name is Donna. I do apologize for the long wait in responding. No member is ever intentionally overlooked here at GTG.
My first post is going to be long, drawn out and full of questions, so please bear with me here.Please read this post completely before beginning the fix. If there's anything that you do not understand, please don't hesitate to ask before proceeding.
Questions, questions, (sigh) and more questions.
- Please note that I am a volunteer. I'm sure that at one point or another yours and my schedule may prevent immediate responses to meet our needs. Our patience will be a virture during this process
- First of all, the procedures we are about to perform are specific to your problem and should only be used on this specific computer.
- Please! Do not make any changes to your computer that include installing/uninstalling programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, nor running scanners or tools of any kind unless specifically requested by me.
- Please read ALL instructions carefully and perform the steps fully and in the order they are written.
- If things appear to be better, let me know. Just because the symptoms no longer exist as before, does not mean that you are clean.
- Continue to read and follow my instructions until I tell you that your machine is clean.
- If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask before performing the task that I ask of you, and please wait for my reply before you proceed.
- Scanning with programs and reading the logs do take a fair amount of time. Again, your patience will be necessary.
I need you to be my eyes so I have a lot of questions here. Do elaborate as much as needed. The more you tell me, the better I can grasp the concept from your point of view.
Was an Addition.txt log created on the flash drive along with the FRST.txt after you ran the tool? If so, please post that log for my viewing pleasure.
When I turn on the computer it goes to the safe mode options screen
What does the screen say exactly at the top? Advanced Boot Options ~ Recovery ~ etc. Could make a difference.
No matter what option I choose it loads the drivers down to CLASSPNP.SYS and then goes to a black screen with the (larger) white arrow.
What happens when you do a hard shut down by pressing the Power button to turn if off? Which screen does it boot to when you reboot the computer and options do you have?
I was able to use f2 to get into the HP Diagnostics, but each one showed nothing wrong.
Each one what? When you access HP System Diagnostics you get the following options:
Start up test ~ did you try that? What were the results?
Run in test ~ did you try that? What were the results?
Hard Disk test ~ same questions as above
Memory test ~ again as above
Battery test ~ and again
Error log ~ is there anything of importance found within?
Was there any software or hardware changes just prior to when the problem began??
I've tried system restore to the oldest checkpoint available, no luck.
Did you try them all? What were the results. Any errors?
I have tried using the System Repair disc created when laptop was first purchased.
Is this a system repair disc or the system recovery discs? There is a difference. Recovery discs are to restore the computer to factory condition. The repair discs do not.
I'll be reviewing your FRST.txt log while I await your response.