Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Random Shut Down and 4 Beeps

• Please log in to reply

offdawall151

offdawall151

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys im having a problem with my desktop. It will randomly shut off and when i turn it back on i get 4 beeps and continues to work properly until randomly shutting off again. I just installed a new power supply which I'm 90% sure is connected correctly. The only thing i can say i am hesitant about is that the supply came with a 20 pin motherboard connector with a separate 4 pin on the same connector. I don't have any external usb devices connected and the beeps only occur following a crash. If i shut it down manually and then turn it on it does not beep.

I really don't want to have to pay a bunch of money to have to get this thing checked so if you guys aren't sure of how to help me could you maybe send me to a place that checks them for cheap?

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:welcome:

These beeps are from computers power-on self test, from the BIOS.

It is to make sure all the hardware is working during the boot process.

How many beeps, length of beeps tells you what is wrong.

Usually a hardware issue. What ever was done, try to open back up the PC and make all connections are properly fit and in place.

From what i know all 24 pins should be used, other 4 are for power supply should stay connected into motherboard, it can disconnects from the 20 pin connector, but should be together.

What i do not know is do you have a 20 pin motherboard connection ?

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm  Check this if you find what BIOS you have.

Also at the start on taskbar and then run : type msinfo32, should tell you the BIOS there.

We can use more information listed in your post, Make and Model of PC and also the PSU (Power Supply).

Edited by jds63, 27 May 2014 - 10:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   offdawall151

The 20+4 pin ATX power connection should not cause a problem as long as the unconnected 4 pin connector is not coming into contact with the MB or any other hardware, as long as there is nothing in the way such as a capacitor etc the 20+4 pin connector can be left as one, you just plug in the power connector and allow the unused 4 pins to overhang the ATX socket, this ensures that the unused 4 pins cannot cause a short circuit, which btw could be causing your issues.

Do the above and while you are there check for any stray screws or bared wires that could be causing a short circuit, make sure that the MB mounting screws are secure (do not overtighten) check that the I/O plate at the back of the case is secure as this also grounds the MB and finally check that all internal connections are correct and secure.

If the above does not resolve the issue I suggest a barebones set-up outside of the case as this will also allow an inspection of the MB, it`s soldered circuits and capacitors.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hey Phill, Are we saying this PSU might be for an older motherboard,20 pin .

I was not sure of this newer boards have 24 pin connectors. I though the last 4 pins are for PSU.

Member did not specify enough.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The idea behind the 20+4 pin connector is so that it is compatible with both older and newer MBs jd, if the last 4 pins are not used under no circumstances should they be plugged into another socket, you will see what I refer to here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

o.k. Phill, i understand it now,ty. My motherboard has 24 pins so i just plugged in all pins.

So you feel this member has a 20 pin connector motherboard and the other 4 pin connector is possibly touching something else or plugged in somewhere wrong.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday offdawall151

​If you are still having problems please give us the brand/model of the Motherboard. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

o.k. Phill, i understand it now,ty. My motherboard has 24 pins so i just plugged in all pins.

So you feel this member has a 20 pin connector motherboard and the other 4 pin connector is possibly touching something else or plugged in somewhere wrong.

If the OP decides to reply we just may find out  :whistling:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

If the OP decides to reply we just may find out  :whistling:

True or maybe they figured it out themselves . Sometimes this happens, they disappear. :no:

offdawall151

offdawall151

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

MB: 

Intel DG33TL Media Series G33 uATX DDR2 800 Intel Graphics DVI+VGA 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Desktop Board

I also figured out how to connect all 24 pins simultaneously so that isn't a possibility anymore.

Edited by offdawall151, 11 June 2014 - 10:21 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the info.

We still need the brand/model of the PSU.

For info on your MB please go to this page, > http://www.intel.com...tpboards/dg33tl

For your Installation Manual, please click  > pdf.gif  Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL Product Guide (PDF)

Scroll to page #55.

Have you got both plugs from the PSU connected?

Note that the plugs have a small locking tab to ensure they are inserted the right way around.  

Please describe the beep code you get, 4 short, repeated? or a combination of long and short beeps?