Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a small business network

• Please log in to reply

Graham Bradshaw

Graham Bradshaw

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have recently setup a small business network using 4 computers, 2 printers, one Dell switch, one router, one NAS and two wireless router extender (repeaters). I am using DHCP for all devices, with no management control on switch or router.

Everything worked initially however now the computers periodically lose internet connection (limited) for no apparent reason.  When I remove the wireless extenders (we are a small club so during busy times this will get a lot of connections from customers) the the computers gain access to the internet again.  The only thing I can think of is the DHCP is somehow confusing the IP addresses allocated on the repeater router.  Any ideas anyone?

I could introduced a managed system e.g. allocating IP addresses to each machine however I was hoping to avoid this.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hi Graham, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Let's clarify something first: Am I correct in assuming that the wireless computers are the only devices which are experiencing this issue? Are there any devices connected by network cable that are having trouble?

You will need to do a little pattern testing to see when the issue replicates. Here are some ideas:

(1) Does the issue occur when a laptop is just sitting? If you are on the move, then the issue could be a failure for the laptop to jump between repeaters.

(2) Can you ping internal and external network resources when this issue occurs? Try to ping google.com and your router's IP address.

(3) If you run the Windows Network Diagnostic (equivalent to the Repair option in Windows XP), does it resolve the issue? Does it say what it did to resolve it?

(4) If you disable the wireless adapter and re-enable it, does the issue resolve?

(5) With all due respect, please ensure that these are repeaters, not wireless routers. You want to make sure that your router is the only device leasing IP addresses with DHCP.

Let us know how you do on these ideas and we'll troubleshoot further. Good luck!