Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do I ifgure out if a video card is compatable with my system?

• Please log in to reply

myriamd

myriamd

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

need to upgrade my videocard.

I can't figure out if GeForce GTX 650 Ti / Boost is compatible with my system.

how do you get that info?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello myriamd

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;

Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.

What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use proprietary components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hp full tower, with windows 7

modelp 6310y

AMd athlon II x4 630 processor 2.80 ghz

600 gb installed ram

64 bit os

I have updated the video card once, but would like to do so again, as it is running slower, I also need to

add more ram.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The GTX 650Ti/Boost requires a PSU with a minimum 450W output PSU that has the required 24 amps on the +12V, was the stock 300W HP PSU also upgraded when you previously upgraded the video card, if yes please provide the brand and model name or number of any upgraded PSU.

Your Ram can be upgraded but please note the following from the HP specs "Due to AMD limitation, DDR3-1333 modules will run at 1066 MHz if three or more modules are installed."

Your computer specs are here

GPU system requirements here

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

did not upgrade the PSU, would that need to be done to upgrade the vid card then?

or am I better off purchasing a new computer?

It is a family computer, but used more for internet and gaming.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If you have had the computer from new and have not previously upgraded the 300W PSU that was fitted as standard in the HP 6310Y then yes the PSU would also need to be upgraded to run your proposed GTX 650Ti/boost, the same for any other decent add on video card I'm afraid.

Purchasing a new computer IMO is unnecessary but it does depend on what sort of gaming performance is required.

Can I ask what the present video card is that you are using.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

nvidia geforce 220

is it more cost efective to upgrade the PSU then?

I like to play the Sims 3, and right now my computer will not support my game

with all the custom content and add ons that I have. I haven't even loaded all

the expansions, because my video card doesn't support the graphics for them.

Also, my daughter uses it for You Tube and drawing and gets lags of all sorts.

My son games as well, and uses it for homework.

So it is necessary that we have working, fast, clear pictures going for all of us.

Thanks so much for all the info.

Is the PSU something I could replace myself? I replaced the video card last time.

Edited by myriamd, 29 May 2014 - 05:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
is it more cost efective to upgrade the PSU then?

As opposed to purchasing a new computer, definitely yes.

Replacing the PSU is most certainly something that you can do yourself and HP actually provide a very good guide that will help you, see here

Some additional information regarding the Ram, you may recall from my reply #4 that I brought the following to your attention;

Your Ram can be upgraded but please note the following from the HP specs "Due to AMD limitation, DDR3-1333 modules will run at 1066 MHz if three or more modules are installed."

I for the life of me cannot understand why brand names such as HP, Dell and various others put silly amounts of Ram in a computer, if a computer has a 64-bit OS installed when shipped it should also have 8GB of Ram as standard, this because it is the sweet spot for getting the best out of a 64-bit OS such as Windows 7, the fact that your computer has 6GB of Ram is a fly in the ointment as to get the best performance out of your computer you need to have 2 X 4GB sticks of DDR3 1333MHz Ram or you will end up with the Ram clocking backwards to the slower 1066MHz as highlighted above.

We need to know the specification and configuration of the present Ram before we move on, download then run the Crucial system scanner tool and post the results please, details here

Removal instructions are provided for when you are done and the results are for our information only purposes and I am not suggesting that any purchase is made.

To summarise, your best and most cost effective upgrade path is as follows, 1: Upgrade the Ram to 2 X 4GB sticks of 1333MHz first. 2: Confirm availability/purchase the GTX 650Ti/boost. 3: Purchase and fit an appropriate PSU (we will help you select one). 4: Swap out the GT 220 and fit the new GTX 650Ti/boost. 5: Enjoy the new lease of life that you have given your computer.

NB: 6: Sell your old parts to recoup some of your financial outlay.

You are welcome btw  :)

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

max memory 16384

slots 4 ( 2 banks of 2)

not to exceed man. supported memory

also suggested by crucial 2.5 in internal SSD

and HDD 1t Sata 600 hard drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can you post the Crucial results url for us, can you also disregard the other Crucial upgrade advice please ( there is nothing worse than an electronic salesperson   :rolleyes: )

Let us know if you are not sure how to copy and paste the Crucial results url.

Advertisements

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

http://www.crucial.c...78BD1BF31D926C3

Edited by myriamd, 31 May 2014 - 06:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the url  :thumbsup:

Your scan results show that 3 X 2GB sticks are in use which means that it is only functioning at 1066MHz due to it populating 3 slots, this would cause any new faster add on video card to bottleneck which is most likely what has happened with the present GT 220.

To summarise, your best and most cost effective upgrade path is as follows, 1: Upgrade the Ram to 2 X 4GB sticks of 1333MHz first. 2: Confirm availability/purchase the GTX 650Ti/boost. 3: Purchase and fit an appropriate PSU (we will help you select one). 4: Swap out the GT 220 and fit the new GTX 650Ti/boost. 5: Enjoy the new lease of life that you have given your computer.

NB: 6: Sell your old parts to recoup some of your financial outlay.

You will note that Crucial also says that the faster 1600MHz Ram is compatible with your MB.

Let us know what you decide to upgrade and we will try and find you the best spec and prices.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

So, I will gladly be doing all of the above.

so to summarize in idiot speak, I need

2 4gb ram sticks of 13333 mhz

then the vid card then the psu

where are the most cost effective prices found for these?

I usually end up at Fry's where they always try to upsell me.

Again, thanks for all the info and help!

This site rocks and you all are always so helpful!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello myriamd

The memory is the easy one to decide upon so I have found some that you can use as a benchmark when you check the prices at Fry`s, Ram

The GPU you enquired about the GTX 650Ti/boost, is there a reason why you have chosen this particular card.

The PSU, we cannot recommend one until the GPU is confirmed + any new GPU should not be fitted unless the PSU upgrade has been fitted first.

You are welcome btw  :)

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

well, the reason I chose the GPU was because it supports my favorite game well, which is the Sims3.

right now, I can't play it at all.

The Sims3 Wiki has a page of supported graphics cards so I went from there.

If you could recommend better but still affordable, and that would support the game

I'll take it.

Is the price on the RAM for both, a total of 8gb?

That is an awesome price, I may just order from them.

Technically, I really hate Fry's, it's just that they are the biggest, closest

techi store to me.