Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

15 pin male to female cables

peripherals cables

• Please log in to reply

thisguydwight007

thisguydwight007

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section. I'm not quite sure whom else to ask. The situation is that I have a metal dance pad that connects to a control box, at which I can choose to hook it up to a gaming console or a pc. I'm using it for a gaming console. I ordered a new control box, but was still missing the 15 pin male to female cable that connects the pad to the control box.

Went to radio shack, and the only cable they had that was suggested to me was a 15 pin male to female SVGA cable. It didn't fit because the previous cable had both ends with screws, as opposed to most cables that had one end having two screws and one end having two threaded holes. I cut the protruding metal ends with threaded holes, and both ends of the cable fit perfectly after that. I turned on the console to have only to have all the arrows and buttons assigned incorrectly. My dumb uneducated guess would be that the SVGA cable is for transferring information with video only, while the cable I need is for inputting information. Like I said, I don't know if this is posted correctly and am quite dense when it comes to cables and components. Before I spend a few hundred today or tomorrow, I would very much love to see if I can save most of that and just buy the cable I need.

Thank you

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,184 posts

Cables.com will have whatever you need in the way of cables HOWEVER you really need to know how the cable is wired (pin to pin).  From the description you gave, that is still a great unknown and just getting a 15pin cable will not work (as you know).  Can you find a manual for the pad / controller? 

thisguydwight007

thisguydwight007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sorry for the late response to the, well, response. Yeah, that's about as good as I can describe. The picture is the exact one I need. Any website is out of stock relating it to the dance pad. This is really bothering me, trying to figure out what it is. It looks JUST like an SVGA cable, but I guess it's not. The control box and dance pad work just fine. I've used it at someone else's place. My only guess is there's another kind of cable that looks just like an SVGA, but isn't.

Maybe someone can school me on what the pictured cable is?

Thanks again for trying.

Attached Thumbnails

• THEDEVICE - ddrgame_2261_3558762.gif

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,184 posts

What is the controller (make and model)?  What is the "dance pad" (make and model)?

From the picture, the cables can be anything.  There are no markings or tags visible so all that can be said is that it is a 15pin M to 15pin F serial cable; as to wither that is RS232, RS485 or RS422 is anyone's guess without more details.  It is not a standard PC cable so I would need more details to research further.  If your friend has a cable you can borrow (you said the controller / dance pad works so there must be a cable somewhere), you could take that cable to a PC repair shop and have them make you an identical cable (they could do a pin out of the working cable and construct one wired the same way).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Not sure if you are in the USA etc but an example 10` cable here or 6` here 

thisguydwight007

thisguydwight007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Wow, wow and wow. After three months of looking everywhere and periodically checking the official website every few weeks (which totally looks like it's going out of business and trying to get rid of all it's product), I decide to check and give the official info from the site. Lo and behold, it is magically in stock. I apologize for this inconvenience if any. But... it could be helpful to know which kind it is still, since I'm being charged $10 for the cable and fifteen ridiculous dollars for shipping and handling.

I couldn't find any information on the site ddrgame.com . For the regular Ion Metal Dance Pad, it just says 15 pin male to female breakaway cable to the control box. Dbreeze, if you believe those are the types of cables it probably is, I don't mind trying them all out...  if you think it's just one of those three. My buddy lives a 12 hour drive away in Arizona and is being a stubborn butthole in helping a bro out with the whole going to a computer shop. And phillpower2, I've already tried an SVGA cable, so not sure if a VGA cable would be any better. Then again, I dunno if the ones dbreeze are vga's or not either. So, if you think vga might be the solution, I don't mind trying it.

Like I said, looks like the site carries them again, but want to charge a buttload for shipping. Plus, my minor OCD feels the need to find out what it is after all this trouble from a single cable. Opinions?

Thanks and I appreciate the help anyway, I'll close the thread tomorrow.  :)

Edited by thisguydwight007, 29 May 2014 - 07:07 PM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,184 posts

Hate to say this but I would pay for the cable from the site (yeah, everyone wants to get rich off of the S&H charges - be nice if they were actually PAYING someone that amount of money to pick and package the product).  Once the cable comes in and works then I would get a voltage meter and ohm out the pin-to-pin configuration of that cable; write it down and keep it safe somewhere.  That way you can either have someone make one for you or make it yourself or know exactly what type of connections / cable you want next time. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Found the site and the cable and to me it just looks like a standard one piece SVGA cable, there is nothing "breakaway" about it, below is an actual breakaway cable;

Attached Thumbnails

• breakaway cable.jpg