Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer setup

• Please log in to reply

hamilton44fh

hamilton44fh

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a HP tower with Windows 7 Home premium and a HP laptop with the same operating system.  Can I theoretically use the same backup files for both computers?  Or do I have to use a separate backup file for each computer?  I would think it would be a lot more convenient if I could use the same one. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   hamilton44fh

You cannot use the same back up files for any two (or more) computers unless they are 100% identical in every way, differing computers will not require the same OS files and drivers to be loaded on boot etc.

HP btw can provide back up recovery disks for each new computer that they now produce, they are specific to each model of computer and so a notebooks recovery disk will not work on a desktop computer as they have different MBs and so different chipset and other drivers are on each disk.

The above is not the same if the files concerned are Windows only files such as that on a Microsoft OS disk or an ISO obtained from a legitimate source such as Digital River.

hamilton44fh

hamilton44fh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

that is what I expected, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

hamilton44fh

hamilton44fh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

almost forgot, thank you for replying.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

Anything else we can help with please feel free to give us a shout.