Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC/Laptop Slowing Down

• Please log in to reply

FredTheSandwich

FredTheSandwich

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello Geek Forum! 

I can't seem too keep any system up to speed no matter what I try. I used to use a system optimiser but asked on another forum about my computer slowing down and was told I should stop using an optimiser unless I wan't my PC to break basically. I was told to use CCleaner and a basic anti virus and run them regularly. As long as I don't download any suspicious software my computer would run speedy as ever. 

I tried this for the past month and have started slowly seeing a change in my laptops performance as usual. It has been getting slower and slower with next to nothing downloaded on the hard drive and not many programs installed. 

A week ago I installed The Sims 3 for my girlfriend to play and at first it ran fine, but now runs at snail pace. I do not see what I am doing wrong.

I currently have a HP Pavilion Laptop -

Operating System - Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU - AMD A4/A6/A8/A10 Trinity 32nm Technology

RAM - 7.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 672MHz (9-9-10-24)

Motherboard - Hewlett-Packard 216B (Socket FT1)

Graphics - Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) 768MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7600G (HP)

Storage - 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

Optical Drives -hp DVD-RAM UJ8DB SATA CdRom Device

Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

I used speccy to pull these details. Aside from my girlfriend occasionally playing 1 game, it is only used for internet browsing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See what Speedtest.net tells you abut network speed. See if you are getting what you are paying for.

For instance, I pay for 30MBS up and 3MBS down and this is what I just got:

3533695638.png

Johan1

Johan1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello

You really should not use those kind of programs to speed up your system, registry cleaners and system doctors are known to cause a lot of system issues. You should just use the built-in applications and make sure that you do some maintenance from time to time. See the information here What kind of maintenance does Windows 8 need?

Hope it helps you :)