Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2003 - How do I...?

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here?

I still use M.S.Office Word 2003; and I recently encountered a little query/problem.

The small up & down button (located on the right hand column and used to move through a document quickly) now shows the Page Number and the start of a message below it when I left click on the button. [See picture attached]

What's THIS.JPG

My problem is: HOW can I read the whole of the message? 

It says "We apologize for any incon..." but I cannot see how to display the remainder of whatever inconvenience it refers to!

[It's probably very easy, but I'm having a "senior moment" and cannot for the life of me see how to display the whole message]

Any ideas HOW I achieve this please?

Many thanks, in advance.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 31 May 2014 - 12:58 AM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

I think this is showing you the words in page 56 of your document.... just go to page 56 and check...

Regards

paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I think this is showing you the words in page 56 of your document.... just go to page 56 and check...

Regards

paws

Hi paws,

Yes I thought that too, but it isn't.

In the document concerned it appears initially on page 47 and every page since.

I have worked out it is relating to something, but I cannot work out what!

Earlier in the document there are other similar things that appear when the up down button is left clicked on.

It initially attracted my attention as I (mistakenly) thought there was a problem that I was being warned about.

As it started to say "We apologize for any incon..." (...veniance) it caught my eye, but that turned out to be purely by sheer fluke.

I should be grateful because at least it isn't a problem that Word was warning me about!

Now that I have checked, I see many other Word documents are similar.

I just can't recall WHY Word does this! It MUST be for a REASON, but i don't know what the reason is!

I suppose it's annoying me because my age is beginning to affect my memory, and I should know what all these things mean, but I'm forgetting them these days!

Not to worry; it'll probably come to me in a blinding flash - probably when I've forgotten all about it, and THEN I'll be wondering WHY I wanted to know! lol !

Just another "senior moment".

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok, all understood,

Try this:

1 Place cursor at beginning of document.
2 Hold down Ctrl and press f ( Ctrl+f)
3 type in the box labelled "Find What" the following:

We apologize for any

4 Click on Find Next

does the find function take you to a place in the document where the words are to be found?

(it's likely that the words are in your document but there is a pagination error and they are not on page 56

Let us know if this helps
Regards
paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Ok, all understood,

Try this:

1 Place cursor at beginning of document.
2 Hold down Ctrl and press f ( Ctrl+f)
3 type in the box labelled "Find What" the following:

We apologize for any

4 Click on Find Next

does the find function take you to a place in the document where the words are to be found?

(it's likely that the words are in your document but there is a pagination error and they are not on page 56

Let us know if this helps
Regards
paws

Yes paws, spot on!

It takes me to page 47 where "We apologize for any incon..." is part of a phrase on that page.

But it also remains for the remainder of the document... so far. 

But WHY? What is so important about it to appear in this way? Why THAT and not something else?

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 31 May 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

paws,

So, do you reckon the original document has become corrupted in some way, and that is the cause for the issue?

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 31 May 2014 - 02:02 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Removed by Wrinkly Pete

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 31 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Curiouser and curiouser....

Try this:

select all from your word doc and then copy it all into notepad

select all in notepad and copy it into a new word doc (this dumps all the formatting)

any better?

Regards

paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Curiouser and curiouser....

Try this:

select all from your word doc and then copy it all into notepad

select all in notepad and copy it into a new word doc (this dumps all the formatting)

any better?

Regards

paws

Right, I did that and correct, it solves the issue. All that now appears are the page numbers.

The drawback is that the only parts of the Word document saved in this new document are just text. None of the illustrations, screen snips, quotes from other sources etc; are there any longer. Just the spaces where they were!

I'm thinking I shall call it a day with this.

The "problem" document only covers one calender month and finishes at midnight tonight.

I'll be starting a new Word document tomorrow and (hopefully) the problem may not still be evident. If it is, then I don't know what I'll do, as I use Word 2003 a lot.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 31 May 2014 - 02:24 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

I feel we may be getting warmer...
Try the select all and copy into wordpad and save as .rtf file format.

Next select all from the wordpad rtf and copy to a new Word doc.... the formatting should still be there, but the $100,000 question is... has it done the trick?
Regards
paws

Advertisements

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I feel we may be getting warmer...
Try the select all and copy into wordpad and save as .rtf file format.

Next select all from the wordpad rtf and copy to a new Word doc.... the formatting should still be there, but the $100,000 question is... has it done the trick?
Regards
paws

You've got me on that one! "... copy into wordpad and save as .rtf file format".

Sorry paws, please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand. I've never heard of "wordpad" or ".rtf file format". Did you mean word or notepad? 

Cancel that. I've found wordpad!

When I try to select all, copy and paste it into wordpad everything hangs. Then a message appears Microsoft Office Word: There is insufficient memory or disk soace. Close extra windows and save your work. Show Help >> OK

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 31 May 2014 - 03:10 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi, Ok

1 close all open windows

2 open Word document, select all (Crtl+a) and copy to clipboard (Ctrl+c)

3 Start wordpad, in Xp Start run and type wordpad press enter) or in Vista ,7 or 8 type in search box wordpad press enter)

4 paste the contents of the clipboard into the wordpad document by using Ctrl+v

5 wait while the complete thing is copied to the new wordpad document ( could take several minutes, depending on the speed and RAM of your computer... )when you are sure its copied across Ok then save it as a.rtf file format (Click File save as.and make sure .rtf is selected.

6 Once the document is saved in rtf file format close it , wait 10 seconds and then open it again.....( it may open this time in Word or wordpad (it doesn't matter which).. use Ctrl+a to select all, then Ctrl+c to copy and then open a new Word document and past it in by using Ctrl+v

7 save the Word document in the usual .doc file format and see if it now works ok.

I'm off to bed now ...its quarter to eleven (at night) here,

back in the morning

Regards

paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi, Ok

1 close all open windows

2 open Word document, select all (Crtl+a) and copy to clipboard (Ctrl+c)

3 Start wordpad, in Xp Start run and type wordpad press enter) or in Vista ,7 or 8 type in search box wordpad press enter)

4 paste the contents of the clipboard into the wordpad document by using Ctrl+v

5 wait while the complete thing is copied to the new wordpad document ( could take several minutes, depending on the speed and RAM of your computer... )when you are sure its copied across Ok then save it as a.rtf file format (Click File save as.and make sure .rtf is selected.

6 Once the document is saved in rtf file format close it , wait 10 seconds and then open it again.....( it may open this time in Word or wordpad (it doesn't matter which).. use Ctrl+a to select all, then Ctrl+c to copy and then open a new Word document and past it in by using Ctrl+v

7 save the Word document in the usual .doc file format and see if it now works ok.

I'm off to bed now ...its quarter to eleven (at night) here,

back in the morning

Regards

paws

paws,

Thanks for all your help.

Sadly I was unable to complete your last set of instructions. I had (several) further issues whilst attempting to do so. Word hung, Wordpad refusing to store anything I tried to copy to it, and so on.

As I said earlier, the Word document that I have all the problems with contained a whole month's information (10457 KB in size).

Being the first of the month today I have started a fresh document, so I'm hoping the issue was a one off - time will tell...

[I have a few workarounds up my sleeve, that I may try to use to repair last month's Word document, when I get the chance.]

At least the problem isn't affecting reading the document, or printing from it; so things could be a lot worse.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Thanks

Wrinkly Pete

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Ok

all understood.

Here's hoping that the new document will be Ok..

The next steps that I would have been posting ( just for info now) are:

1 Operate the detect and repair function in word ( Office)

2 Delete the normal dot template ( don't worry, Word will recreate it but as the "installed version", any custom modifications you have made to the normal dot template will be overwritten.

As always make sure your back ups are solid, reproducible, comprehensive, accurate, and with at least one extra copy safe offsite on removable media.

All best

paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi Ok

all understood.

Here's hoping that the new document will be Ok..

The next steps that I would have been posting ( just for info now) are:

1 Operate the detect and repair function in word ( Office)

2 Delete the normal dot template ( don't worry, Word will recreate it but as the "installed version", any custom modifications you have made to the normal dot template will be overwritten.

As always make sure your back ups are solid, reproducible, comprehensive, accurate, and with at least one extra copy safe offsite on removable media.

All best

paws

paws,

Yes thanks. I've used "detect & repair" so I'm familiar with that. I had toyed with using it for this, but as I've temporarily mislaid the original installation disk(s) I held off using it as an option!

Your second suggestion sounds a bit beyond my comfort zone!

If I get desperate I could transfer the whole document, a day at a time, to a fresh Word document. As soon as the bug re-appears do a workaround, and eventually (fingers crossed) end up with a normal copy.

I suspect I have introduced something from another source, and as I added it to the document it has corrupted my Word document in some way. Perhaps a partial change of format - used without realising. I have noticed before, on occasion, after pasting some picture, or a quote say from an online paper, that I've had trouble returning to my original document format.

I'll try and put it behind me. I may never get to the bottom of the cause.

Thanks once again.