Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing updates

• Please log in to reply

Cineé Banks

Cineé Banks

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My updates are taking a very long time. I'm currently doing language packs (optional updates)

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Hi Cineé Banks,

:welcome:

Which Operating System (OS) is installed? Vista or Windows 7?

What Service Pack is installed presently? To find this out:

Click on your Start VISTAORB.jpg > right click on Computer and choose Properties at the bottom of the right click menu. If any SP's are installed it will be found under the Windows Edition section.

Thank you,
Donna :)

Cineé Banks

Cineé Banks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm using Windows 7 with service pack 1

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Cineé Banks,

My apologies for the delayed reply. I had company drop in unannounced.

W7 is at SP1. So that's good.

What exactly do you mean by your updates are taking a very long time? Downloading, installing, configuring??

If you have several updates at once, it is best to install them a few (2 or 3) at a time, depending on their size, to prevent failure and to pin point which, if any, cause problems.

Click on your Start VISTAORB.jpg and type Windows Update in the Start Search. Click on Windows Update found in the list. Click on View update history in the left panel. Are there any failed updates?

:)

Cineé Banks

Cineé Banks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello, 

what I'm trying to do is windows updates.My computer now says that I have 1 important update and 65 optional updates. 

I did check the update history and some of the updates have failed. 

If it says optional updates is this something I should do?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Definitely install the recommended and important updates. Browse through the options and choose the ones for Windows. Don't worry about the updates if they are for the Bing Bar or Bing Desktop and you do not use them. I usually receive updates for those though I never install them. I don't use them so I disable them.

Install the largest ones by themselves and the smaller ones 2-3 at a time, such as; if you have one update that is 45.8 MB's and 3 updates that are 1.0MB, 3.0MB, etc. Install the large one by itself and the others can be combined. Usually Windows Updates will create a Restore Point prior to installation, though it wouldn't hurt to manually create one in case the Update causes issues and you have to restore to a time prior to the Update.

As for the ones that failed, have a closer look at each one of them. Majority of the time, they will install eventually. So if one failed look further up the list to see if it finally did install. Easiest way to find them is by the KB number.

Cineé Banks

Cineé Banks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to try the things  you mentioned tonight

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're very welcome! :)

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.