Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Newly built PC with fan problem and need help partitioning hard drive

fan partition hard drive built

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Hi, first of all, I know how to cut a pc on and play, out side of that i'm dumb, lol.

My son just put  alot of money into building his own gaming pc, the only thing he had left to do was install Windows, how hard could that be, right, lol.  He had to go out of town this weekend so I was to do this for him so it would be ready when he got home, the first problem I noticed was it gave me an error when turning it on tha there was a problem with the fan, this thing has 5 fans, 4 of which I can visually see are working, so it has to be the 5th which I have no idea where it is.  The only option is to press F1 and it takes me into a section that i'm afraid to mess with so I just close out of it. When it starts to load the Windows 8.1 Disc I get to the part where it needs a drive to install and there are none to be found.  Could anyone walk me through how to fix these problems.

The reason that I am asking instead of waiting on my son to get home is he has less experience with pc's than I do, why he decided to build one is beyond me, but that is what he wanted and paid for himself.

I'm not a total dummy when it come to pc's, just when it requires this type of fixing, so you can speak the jargon and I will understand what you are saying.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Advertisements

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

I actually only need help with the fan now. A friend of mine told me to double check the connection from the motherboard to the hard drive and sure enough it wasn't connected, lol.  All 5 of the fans are working so I have no idea why it keeps throwing up an error about the fan.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello emaan9301

Fan errors messages are often related to the CPU cooling fan, you can obviously see this working so is it possible that the fan has been connected to the wrong header on the MB, can you post the brand and model name or number of the MB so we can take a look at the manual online.

this thing has 5 fans, 4 of which I can visually see are working, so it has to be the 5th which I have no idea where it is. 

Can I ask how you know that the computer has 5 fans, is one of the 5 fans that of the power supply perhaps which is internal and so cannot be seen.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Hi Phillpower2, thanks for offering to help.  The motherboard is ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 and it is entirely possible that it may be plugged in wrong as my son has never done anything with computers like this before.

As for the fans, I can see 4 from the outside of the case and one through the side panel. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello emaan9301

The MB has four fan headers and they are each the 4 pin type which allow for fan speed detection and control, 3 of these are for chassis fans and 1 for the CPU, the CPU fan must be connected to the one set aside for it as the fan is monitored by the MBs thermal sensor which will shut down the system to protect the CPU should the fan fail, see attached screenshot.

Please note that the fan speed being set too low in the BIOS could also produce such an error message as a warning so if the CPU fan is on the correct header the fan speed should be checked in the BIOS.

As there are only 3 chassis fan headers on the MB one or more must be connected direct to the power supply.

MB manual here

You are welcome btw  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• asus fan header.jpg

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been the least painful bit of help I have ever had to ask for and receive.  Upon checking the connection, it was plugged into the one marked cha_fan2. As soon as I can turn it off, I will promptly be changing that location to the center one. Thank God for see through panels ;)

I think I will have one very happy young man when he gets home later today.  I can't thank you enough for helping me with this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Let us know if everything works out ok or if you have any other questions.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Everything seems to be working great now. He has pretty much been on it for the past 24 hours and it's been great!

Thank you so much for your help.

Edited by emaan9301, 03 June 2014 - 01:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Apologies for the delay emaan9301, I have not been near a computer since Monday due to unplanned business I had to take care of.

Great news that all is well and a job well done on your behalf  :thumbsup: 

You are welcome btw  :)