Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder have major problems! Help as fast as possible&#

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

The fan twitching unless I actually saw it I can`t say but the rest is a step in the right direction. Shut down and disconnect the power from the wall socket, attach the keyboard DVD drive (if... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jake85r

Jake85r

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

I just started putting together my own build today,and I ran into a problem. I wanted to make sure all my parts worked before putting them in the case, so I built myself a little makeshift testbench. Once I put it all together and flipped the power switch nothing happens. I made sure that everything was plugged in, so i'm not sure how this happened. I am very aware of static discharge onto the motherboard, and I touched the case about every 5 seconds or less because of how freaked out I am about it. Also In my power supply 24 pin connector there is what looks like a missing connector? I don't know if it is normal, but the 24 pin won't lock into place either. I'm thinking that this could be the problem as no fans start turning, and there is no indication that I just supplied power. I made sure the power supply is plugged into the wall outlet and I plugged in the CPU power and fan, 24 pin power, graphics card 8 pin and 6 pin, and two sticks of RAM. I have attached the picture of the power supply 24 pin, so if anyone can tell me if it looks normal then please do! Please help as fast as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! attachment=70864:20140601_123518_resized_1.jpg]

Edit: Specs: 

i5 4670k

MSI z87 g45 motherboard

Corsair CX 600M PSU

MSI gtx 760

8 gb ram

Is there a way to see if the power supply is producing power? Also sorry for the edits, i'm a bit freaked out that I purchases $1,300 in parts and that it won't work!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140601_123518_resized_1.jpg

Edited by Jake85r, 01 June 2014 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I suspect your PSU is DOA (Damaged/Dead on Arrival) and suggest you call the manufacturer

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Well I have already returned one power supply, but I guess I'll have to just do it again. Do you think it could also be the motherboard or not?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Pin #20 is not used and so your connection is normal.

Disconnect the PSU from all other hardware and do this most basic of tests then post back.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Sh Phill! I thought I saw you readin this. 

Jake, you'll be much better off with Phill then I. GL

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Im a firm believer in teamwork Alan  :thumbsup:

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Ok I did the power supply test, and the power supply did turn on. So do you think it could be the motherboard, or am I doing something wrong?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Do you have the MB on a piece of cardboard or other non conductive material, it must be larger than the MB.

Connect only the 24 and 8 pin power connections from the PSU to the MB and nothing else, if your MB does not have an onboard power test button you will need to short out the 2 pins on the MB front panel header that your case switch should connect to, check your MB manual to find out which 2 pins, I will see if I can find your manual online meanwhile, the MSI site is shocking.

Any questions post first.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I put the motherboard on top of the box that the motherboard came in. Also I installed my graphics card and can't seem to get it out.(I'm such a noob) There is a lock on the bottom that locks it in, but it won't budge, and I don't want to break it. Also I connected the case power and led switches to the motherboard so I wouldn't have to short out the pins, but that doesn't work either.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

OK i'm so sorry!!! I was shorting out the wrong pins!!!! The pc turns on now, but the cpu fan stops spinning, and then it made this horrible noise. I turned it off right away, and thought that the wire was getting in the way, and turned it on again, and as soon as the cpu fan stopped spinning, I turned it off!

Edit: The noise was coming from the cpu fan.

Edited by Jake85r, 01 June 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

If the GPU will not come out then the PCI-E slot may be damaged and so shorting out the MB, this is also why you need to disconnect the case switches and use the method I have suggested, see attachment.

I can only offer suggestions for you to try, if you can`t or do not wish to follow them then I can only suggest that you take the MB to a local tech store.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I didn't force the gpu in and it seems like it is in the right place, but do you have any idea about getting it out. I'm really freaked out right now

Edit: I am very sorry for not following your suggestion! I should have know better than this! I guess I thought that it would be easier. And for that I guess I get what I deserve

Another edit: THe graphics card wasn't stuck I just wasn't pushing on the lever with enough force! I didn't really have to push hard, in fact, the lever just pushed down like it didn't have a problem. I guess I was just so nervous that I didn't try hard enough!

Edited by Jake85r, 01 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Please don't be too hard on yourself, take 5 minutes away from it and then take a second look, if you can, ask someone to hold the MB steady while you free the locking mechanism that is holding the GPU in.

The noise from the CPU fan could be the blades catching the heatsink or the sides of the housing, is the HS and fan mounted correctly, other than that the bearings may be bad.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Thanks! I got the graphics card out no problem! (I edited my last post), but do you think I should try turning it on again, or not?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Good news on removing the GPU  :thumbsup:

Before any further testing is done by activating the power supply I suggest a close inspection of the CPU fan, please remove the two ATX power connections from the MB first, check that the HS and fan are mounted correctly, that there is nothing catching inside such as the wire that goes to the fan header on the MB, does the fan spin freely when you move it with your finger and finally is the fan connected to the correct fan header on the MB which is identified as CPU fan 1, post back when you have checked these before applying the power.