Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder have major problems! Help as fast as possible&#

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

The fan twitching unless I actually saw it I can`t say but the rest is a step in the right direction. Shut down and disconnect the power from the wall socket, attach the keyboard DVD drive (if... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I removed the two ATX connections, and the fan spins freely when I move it with my finger. The stock heatsink and fan clicked into place and the pins are pushing from the bottom of the motherboard a little bit. The fan is also connected through cpu Fan 1 on the motherboard. All the wires look good and out of the way.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

All sounds in good order then, can I just ask you to describe the noise that came from the CPU cooling fan.

Is the PSU also new.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Yes everything is new. It was one of those sounds where you know something is wrong. It was a kind of grinding sound and was getting progressively louder, but only heard it for a few seconds before my brain kicked into OMG mode. It started a few seconds after startup, when the cpu fan tried to start but couldn't. Also the fan never made a full rotation. It just kinda gave a jumpstart and then stopped. A few seconds after that is when the noise started happening. Also I'm very sorry to have prolonged this with my ignorance. I am very grateful for all the help I have received from this forum! It is amazing! I am still going to wait for your response before I do anything.

Edit: Should I take off the cpu fan to check the cpu? I'm very worried that it might have been the cpu, even though installation couldn't have gone better. I want to know that I have all my bases covered.

Edited by Jake85r, 01 June 2014 - 02:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No need for any apology, we all had to learn one way or another  ;) 

A grinding noise would normally suggest that the bearings had failed on an old fan and would not be expected to be heard from a new fan unless it was faulty.

If you are happy that nothing is restricting the CPU cooling fan, hook up your display to one of the MBs own video ports, reconnect the two ATX power connections and test, be ready to disconnect the power at the wall socket if the CPU fan does not turn as it should or if it makes any abnormal noise.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

The computer finally booted up!!! The cpu fan twitches and then gets to a very high rpm, and then goes back down to normal. THe bios comes up and then it goes to a screen say EFI Shell version and says press esc in _ seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue. Is all this normal?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer

The fan twitching unless I actually saw it I can`t say but the rest is a step in the right direction.

Shut down and disconnect the power from the wall socket, attach the keyboard DVD drive (if your OS is on disk) and the HDD, see if it starts up, if yes go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence to DVD drive first and the HDD second, save and exit, place your OS disk in the the DVD drive and restart, post back with an update.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Computer booted up windows 8.1 with no problem!!!! Thank you so much for your help, it really saved me!!!!!!

Edit: Do you know of any system tests that I can perform to make sure everything's running alright? Thanks!!

Also windows doesn't seem to recognize any of the hardware in the computer. The motherboard bios does though. I tried to update a driver for the motherboard and it says that I don't have the minimum recomended specs. Any thoughts?

Edited by Jake85r, 01 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
You can use MEMTest86 to test your RAM

http://www.memtest86.com/

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Thanks! I'll give it a go!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Once Windows was installed did you install the MBs drivers from the disk provided, did you make sure to install the chipset drivers first.

Advertisements