Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts when accessing files. Please help!

• Please log in to reply

dshocker

dshocker

• Pip
  • 1 posts

First of all if you're reading this, THANK YOU.  Any thoughts are more than welcomed.

I recently installed an SSD drive, and installed windows 7 pro.  I kept my old hard drives to use as storage/slaves.

My computer restarts randomly.  Usually its when I'm accessing another hard drive, either via files using software or actually double clicking on a hard drive.  Everything just goes black and then I get a boot screen.

I have tested the memory - good.  I have taken out/added the slave hard drives and it's occurring with all of them.

My motherboard is fairly old - like 5 years.  Capacitors appear to be good.  I cleaned the motherboard of dust and it seemed to help, but maybe I'm imagining it.

Anyone else have this happen?  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by dshocker, 01 June 2014 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   dshocker

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the power supply, any add on video card and the total number of optical and HDDs you have connected at any one time, include the SSD in the amount please.