Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

5 month old laptop. Suddenly Broken. Help!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Help! I just recently bought a computer about 5 months ago. It is an Acer Aspire v5-572g-6679. So a couple nights ago I was playing an online game and I needed to go to bed so I shut my laptop screen like I normally do, putting it asleep, but this time being impatient putting the computer to sleep with the game closing because I didn’t want to wait for the game to shut down. The next morning I wanted to get on my laptop to get on the internet to look something up, so I opened my laptop and turned it on. My computer was taking an unusually long time to boot up, I automatically assumed it was the game that didn’t close down the previous night so I turned the computer off using the button ( I know this is bad for the laptop ). The next time I turned it on, I let it do its thing, by the way the computer normally takes less than a minute to boot up, so I was concerned at this point. I waited a good 10-15 waiting for it to get past the Acer splash screen and go to the login screen. Then once past splash screen it would take another 5-15 min. trying to load login screen, then once on login screen and I would type in password it didn’t want to login and I had to wait another 5-15 min. for it to go to desktop, then it would load desktop, but it was too slow to barely do anything. Well you get the point, I waited a lot : (

I automatically assumed it was a virus/malware and did get the computer to log on to desktop so I could perform scans. I followed the online guide fromhttp://malwaretips.c...de-for-windows/ , but only got to complete step 1 & 2 because the computer was so slow I would have to wait a month for malware bytes to finish 1 scan. I found nothing from both step 1 & 2, does that rule out it being a virus???

Because I just bought the laptop I believe I still have the 1 year warranty that everyone gets from Acer, at least I hope. I bought the laptop from Amazon, is there anything they will help me with, give me a replacement? I have heard bad things about Acer and sending computers in for repair, should I do that??

I seriously don’t know what happened overnight for this to happen; this is a brand new laptop that acted perfectly fine the night before. I don’t know what to do….I hope someone can give me a suggestion on what is happening or just simply what to do to diagnose the problem, please I am so lost!

If you need any more information about the laptop please tell me.

I am not sure if this has something to do with what is currently happening with my laptop, but I will tell you anyways, in case someone can link this with my current problem. So about a couple months into owning my laptop, my computer gave me memory problems (RAM (Random Access Memory)), I would be playing a game or just browsing the internet and a little box would pop up saying I had low memory and I needed to close programs, then I would shut off my computer and just turn it back on and it would be working fine again, so I ignored the problem until this new problem happened D:

This is a Windows 8 laptop. 
Processor: 1.8 GHz Core i5 3337U
RAM (Random Access Memory): 6 GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 500 GB SATA (Type of Hard Drive)
Graphics Coprocessor: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 720M

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,377 posts

You should have a: 

One-year limited warranty.

I would contact Acer.  All those problems could be ram memory being defective and you already have had an error relating to Memory.

The most logical thing to do is have Acer honor the warranty for you. You may void it trying to do to much with it..

Joe :)