Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete Outlook 2007 emails using Del key

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Hi, I have a laptop with Windows 8.1 and Office 2007 installed. All updates are installed. Outlook 2007 works fine except when I try to delete an email that is selected in my Inbox list using the Del key, nothing happens. I need to click on the X icon on the ribbon at the top of the screen. On an older desktop machine with Windows XP, I am able to delete emails using the Del key. Is this a peculiarity to Windows 8.1, or is it something that can be fixed? Thanks.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

Hi jackpine!  I'm doing some searching and am finding all sorts of things to look at.  A couple of quick questions:

• Have you run Microsoft Update to make sure Outlook is all up-to-date?
  • If you compose a new email, are you able to delete text using the delete key (remember to do this like in the middle of a sentence)?  Or does the delete key not work when composing a new message either?
  • Does the delete key work in other Office programs, like Word?

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Sorry for  not getting back to you.

The problem was solved by selecting num lock on the keypad.  The delete key then deletes whatever is selected.