Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowdowns and Crashes on Relatively New Laptop

blue screen bsod slowdown crash irql_not_less_or_equal firefox chrome

• Please log in to reply

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hi.

I'm running out of ideas, to be honest. Need an expert here to consult.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday All.

I am not running 8.1, so only a general mechanic here.

Please download the McAfee Removal Tool and save it to desktop.

mcafee7.png?w=300&h=225

Select yes at the User Account Control

mcafee8.png?w=300&h=171

The removal tool will now start

mcafee9.png?w=300&h=287

Select next

mcafee10.png?w=300&h=288

Enter the characters displayed on your screen and select next. These will be different at all times to prevent any unauthorised use of the removal tool from malicious software.

mcafee11.png?w=300&h=288

McAfee will be removed and you will be prompted to restart

mcafee13.png?w=300&h=289

mcafee14.png?w=300&h=291

Select yes and that is it McAfee is removed.

What browsers are you currently using?

What browsers have you used then uninstalled?

Please go to > http://mobilesupport...ps-and-netbooks

Confirm this is your machine.

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

- Ran the McAfee removal tool and restarted.

- Installed browsers: IE 11.0.9600.17126 (never used), Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m (was primary browser before attempting to solve problem by switching to...), Firefox 30.0

No browsers have ever been uninstalled.

Yes, that is my machine.

Thank you for your assistance. :-)

We understand that a factory reset may be required to solve the problem, but as mentioned in the initial post, we'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Any other ideas that you have we would appreciate. 

Edited by Brennan C., 26 June 2014 - 11:12 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Before making system alterations, It would be useful to see what the latest version of Lenovo Solution Center advices.

If Chrome fails the download, please try with IE.

Go to the link, download the EXE and the TXTReadme  > save to the desktop,  > first, open the Readme for information, . then run the installer lscsetup_x86_24003.exe., > run the program, > select the Check-up Tab, > follow the prompts.  

http://mobilesupport...nloads/DS014950

Lenovo Solution Center Overview, > http://support.lenov...?DocID=pd022501

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

We've already attempted using the Solution Center to troubleshoot the issue, and it found nothing, but for the sake of the process I downloaded the installer (which ran as a repair because we already have the software installed; not necessarily a bad thing). Ran a new checkup with the repaired Solution Center, chose comprehensive. No issues found. 

Edited by Brennan C., 27 June 2014 - 02:12 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Do you have a Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc?

Please go to device manager, check you have no warning flags?

Click on the video driver, > properties, is the driver, Mars XT or Sun Pro M2 VGA Driver for 64-bit Windows ver. 12.100.14.0?

This is your Manual, > http://files.sotmark...novo-g500-1.pdf

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

No recovery disks came with the laptop.

No warning flags in device manager.

Here's the information I have on the graphics driver; let me know if you were looking for something else.

10fvsi0.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

It seems you are using the integrated CPU graphics, but, your CPU, Intel i3 3210M, graphic is listed as HD Graphics 2500, yet the driver installed is for the HD Graphics 4000. 

I also see you tried to install the Intel HD Graphics 4000, as a update, failed as proved not compatible.  It looks to be as though you are using the wrong driver. 

we would like to see your full system specs using Speccy. this is how to publish a snapshot so we can see them.

https://www.piriform...file-to-the-web

This link will start the download of the free version, please save to the desktop. > https://www.piriform...wnload/standard

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

System specs from Speccy as requested;

http://speccy.pirifo...SwyGkzlqRNsKZfD

Sorry for the delay, we got married over the weekend and things were pretty hectic around here.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gay.

I send you my congratulations.  I would like you to attempt another install of the video driver, when you get some spare time :)  

Please download Intel Video Driver for 64-bit Windows EXE to the desktop, > http://mobilesupport...nloads/DS037894

Create a Manual restore point. 

Manual Install

This section assumes to use Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

[Downloading file]

1. Click once on the underlined file name. Once this is done, some pop-up windows will appear.
  2. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  3. In the window to choose Run or Save, click the Save button.
  4. Choose the folder you would like to download the file to and click the Save button. A different window will appear and the download will begin and complete. Once the download has completed, there may or may not be a message stating that the download completed successfully.

[Extracting file]

1. Make sure to be logged on with administrator account.
  2. Locate the folder where the file was downloaded.
  3. Locate the file that was downloaded and double-click it.
  4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  5. In the "Select Destination Location" window, click Next. If you would like to select a different folder, click Browse.
  6. In the "Ready to Install" window, click Install. All the necessary files will be extracted to the folder selected in the step 9.

[Installing files]

1. Make sure the checkbox next to "Install ..... now" is checked and click Finish.
  2. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete installation and restart the computer.

Advertisements

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Completed instructions yesterday, haven't had any issues yet. I'll keep monitoring for a few days to see if anything changes, as the issue tends to come and go. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sounds promising,  :thumbsup:

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Was good for a few days but now it's back to the same old tricks. Any other ideas?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's not good news.

I think you installed Firefox while testing, so lets start by uninstalling it through Add Remove Programs. 

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Hey, there; just uninstalled Firefox. This issue existed before we tried Firefox, though, so I don't imagine we'll see improvement. I'll keep you updated, though.