Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade ulv

• Please log in to reply

shim80

shim80

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I am owner of a asus laptop k46cm. It is equipped with a cpu Core i5 3317U and a gpu gt635m.
I would like to upgrade a CPU on my PC. After searching on cpu-upgrade compatible CPU, I found on eBay a core i7 3687u. It is compatible with my motherboard, it requires the same amount of energy as my current CPU.
I just want to know before you buy if this upgrade is possible, and if yes, how to upgrade.
Thank you in advance.
EBay link: http://pages.ebay.co...0570999&alt=web

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   shim80

The i7 CPU at your link is not compatible but an i7 3517U would be, see here

For such a minimal gain in processor speed I suggest that you reconsider the upgrade and due to the following reasons;

The i7 CPU is very expensive.

The BIOS will need flashing to accept the i7 CPU, your MB is hosed if this goes wrong.

The i7 CPU could arrive DOA and leave you financially out of pocket and/or in a drawn out dispute fighting for a replacement or refund.

The present i5 CPU and the only i7 upgrade available to you are almost identical in every way except the minimal gain in CPU MHz and the i7s 19 Clock Multiplier;

i5-3317U specs here and your only i7 upgrade option here interesting that both CPUs were released at the same time but the i7 cost more than $100 more  :headscratch:

If you do decide to proceed with the upgrade let us know and we can look for the right i7 CPU for you but closer to home, no disrespect intended but there are too many poor products come out of China and Hong Kong which is a shame for the reputable sources.

Google results for an i7 3571U here (yuk)