Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan spins for a second on startup then stops

CPU fan

• Please log in to reply

qwertiley

qwertiley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, today I was over a friend's house with my laptop playing video games like usual. Computer worked fine there. When I arrived home, plugged it in, and booted I received the POST beeps signalling an overheat so I immediately shut it down and tried again. After receiving the beeps again I took the back panel off to check for dust and other problems. Upon looking I noticed on boot the CPU fan would start for a second after pushing the power button, but would stop after a second. I've had the laptop for two years.

Specs:

Motherboard: Clevo P150EM (Don't know if thats the actual name. Can't find MOBO name anywhere in manual or case)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM
RAM: 2x 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2Gb GDDR5
HDD: 750 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA
PSU: FSP Group inc. 240V

Advertisements

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

The problem might be either in the fan itself, or the cord bringing power. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    qwertiley

Was the notebook banged at all.

How many and what type of beeps as in one long and two short or continuous short beeps etc

Have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please.

qwertiley

qwertiley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It happens it continous short beeps lasting a second over and over again. I've tried both using the AC adapter and with battery alone. The laptop was not banged at all in travel. I was using it fine, packed it up, arrived home thirty minutes later, and thats when the problem started.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Try removing and then reseating the Ram, video here

If the above does not resolve the issue the cooling fan needs to be checked out by a suitably qualified/competent person.

qwertiley

qwertiley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had already removed and reseated the RAM before, but this time I switched which slot each went into and the laptop turned on and has been functioning great for the past hour. Thank you a bunch for all your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)