Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello again,

There are various possibilities as to the cause of your BSOD and subsequent error message, see below provided courtesy of Microsoft;

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:

• Mismatched system files have been installed.
  • A Service Pack installation has failed.
  • A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
  • An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

I suggest that we first of all check to see if a driver is causing the issue by running Driver Verifier;

1.   Click Start

2.   Click Run…

3.   Type CMD and press Enter

4.   In the new box, type verifier and press Enter

The Driver Verifier Manager utility will open up.

Select the Create standard list option.

In the next screen you can choose to auto select a driver or select from a list, please choose the auto select option and then restart the computer and see if this causes the system to crash, if it does it should identify the driver responsible.

Please note that DV may need to be run for many hours before a crash may occur so you may need to be patient, it will not compromise your computer in any way. To disable driver verifier when done go to start, run and type in verifier /reset Click on OK and you're done.

Going offline now as I have an early start in the morning but will try and check back before heading off to work.

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Mmmmm Driver Verifier.......I'm looking for a scared emoticon, can't see one!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is driver related.

I know it's the right thing to do, but I hope you understand when I say this Phil.......I can't take anymore at present! Got lots going on at the moment. I really want my computer to be as good as it can be, but I don't feel comfortable with doing that myself. I've always been a - hire a technician - type of girl.......although I can't do that at the moment. I can cope with simple tasks though. :)

I have spent so much time trying to put my computer right (from before I came here), it's stressed me so much, just this Windows Updates issue alone was hard work for me.

The problem with this particular BSOD is most of the time I am not getting a mini dump file for it (computer is set up for that), I did set up Dr. Watson to trap user-mode program errors (whatever that means! As recommended in Microsoft article) but I was too taken up with trying to sort out the failed installation to look into it.

Essexboy gave me the XP repair installation info - clear and simple, just what I needed. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 25 June 2014 - 05:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Fully understand scarlet.rose  :thumbsup:

Running DV is easy to initiate and easy to reverse once it has done its job + it is normally a sure fire way of flushing out a rogue driver, if you are not comfortable with it I do understand though and will look at other options later when I finish work.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

You're very kind, thank you. :)

It's not so much that I don't think I'll be able to do it, I'm sure I could, might make a few mistakes along the way, but I'd get there in the end. It's the fear that something might go wrong or I'll run into difficulty and you (and previously Essexboy when I was asked to carry out a clean boot) are not physically beside me to take over if need be. It's the fear of getting out of my depth.

This may help......just looked further into BlueScreenView. These are the first 2 0xc000021a BSODs I had when CCLeaner was running, the only two mini dumps that have been generated for this particular STOP error, the last two showing in BlueScreenView:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini040514-01.dmp
Crash Time : 05/04/2014 02:53:39
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a
Parameter 1 : 0xe257c880
Parameter 2 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 3 : 0x7c9106c3
Parameter 4 : 0x0053dd88
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5c336
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.2643 (xpsp.050329-1536)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5c336
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+1525db
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+192a47
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+16f276
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040514-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112

Dump File : Mini040514-02.dmp
Crash Time : 05/04/2014 21:53:22
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a
Parameter 1 : 0xe1be1a78
Parameter 2 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 3 : 0x7c9106c3
Parameter 4 : 0x010ff36c
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5c336
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.2643 (xpsp.050329-1536)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5c336
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+1525db
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+192a47
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+16f276
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040514-02.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112

Edited by scarlet.rose, 27 June 2014 - 06:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Due to the amount of remedial work that has been done since those crash dumps were generated they are of no real use I`m afraid  :(  the Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a however does relate back to the same possible causes as the ones that I post from Microsoft in my reply #46

Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are suggested, please do not download anything only post a screenshot of suggested updates for us to look over, out of date chipset and/or SMBus drivers should be updated first if they are out of date.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for your reply.

I've downloaded it, but can't open it. I've tried through Firefox and Internet Explorer, clicked and clicked on drivermax.exe, but nothing happens.

I just downloaded McAfee Stinger exe to see whether there is an issue with my computer - no problems it opened, ready to scan.

?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 28 June 2014 - 07:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Are you logged in as Administrator or tried Safe Mode with Networking, the latter only to download and install DriverMax but not to actually run it.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Yes, I am logged in as Administrator. I am in Safe Mode with Networking now, the same won't open.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Can you check in Add/Remove programmes to see if it is listed there.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

It's not in Add/Remove programs.

I've just tried to download it through cnet - the same.

I was about to contact Support:

http://www.drivermax.com/contact/

- you clearly think this one is the best.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 28 June 2014 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Is it in your Downloads folder.

Before you contact support see if you can run PCPitstop and post the url for us;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to:  http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/default.asp

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information  :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I already contacted drivermax support as I was on the page - they take up to 2 days to respond.

I cannot see any URL, I was made to shut Internet Explorer down.

I regularly check whether defragmentation is needed, hasn't been for some time, last checked under a week ago.

18 Fixes / 8 Advice Items
Automatic Fixes
Advice Items

PC Matic has identified the following issues with your PC:
Test Area Test Name Scan Result Recommendation
Junk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 97.46 MB 50 MB

Junk Files System Restore Files 2,530.00 MB 0 MB

Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet Firefox Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Startup Programs Messenger Enabled Disabled

Startup Programs Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager Enabled Disabled

Disk Most Fragmented Files 558 frags 500 frags

Disk Most Fragmented Files 550 frags 500 frags

Disk Most Fragmented Files 504 frags 500 frags

Disk Most Fragmented Files 503 frags 500 frags

Disk C:\ Scheduled Defrag Not Scheduled Create a scheduled PC Matic defragmentation for this drive.

Disk Data Fragmentation 26.87% 10%

Services Test NVIDIA Driver Helper Service Automatic Manual

Services Test Yahoo! Updater Automatic Manual

Advice System Restore Capacity 4,578 MB 2048 MB

Internet IE Password Security Enabled Disabled

Internet Firefox Password Security Enabled Disabled

Memory Utilization Memory Check 256 MB Add at least 256 MB of RAM

Memory Utilization Free Memory 61.44 MB 200 MB

Advice Visual Effects Test Sub Optimal Optimal

Memory Utilization Memory Check 256 MB Add at least 256 MB of RAM

System Specs Windows Version Windows XP Home SP3 Upgrade to Windows 7.

Advice Adobe Reader Advice Adobe Reader XI (11. 0. 07) Replace Adobe Reader

Test Area Test Name Scan Result Recommendation
Junk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 97.46 MB 50 MB

Junk Files System Restore Files 2,530.00 MB 0 MB

Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet Firefox Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Startup Programs Messenger Enabled Disabled

Edited by scarlet.rose, 29 June 2014 - 04:22 AM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Run it again onsite, couldn't complete final part, as I haven't got Flash active-x in Internet Explorer. :)

http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=25638581

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
In 2012 I received Remote Assistance from a technician after a number of BSODs / mini dumps showed atapi.sys driver to be the culprit. 

On his recommendation NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (which I notice has been red crossed in this scan) was installed and IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller -244B

Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

(from Dell site)

DELL PRODUCT SUPPORT FOR MY COMPUTER - Dell Dimension 8100 - here I believe: 

http://www.dell.com/...on-8100/manuals

and I think SCSI and RAID controllers were added or replaced?

I think those are the only drivers that have been changed since this computer was bought.

Just a reminder: The least few times I tried to run System Restore it wouldn't complete: "Computer cannot be restored to....." no matter what date I chose.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 28 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Please disregard the PCMatic suggestions.

Most of what the PCPitstop report tells us we already knew from your earlier posts, it does however make suggestions as to how you can free up demands on your minimum amount of Ram, see here, create a new restore point first before making any changes.

You can get the latest video driver from here, again be sure to create a new restore point first.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.