Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thanks for all your help Phil. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You are welcome scarlet.rose, catch up later or tomorrow evening UK time  :thumbsup:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Restoration complete - System Restore worked! Pleased about that - thought I'd permanently lost it.

Tested this driver again today. Soon after first boot up error showed in Event Viewer again, but there was no noise today beforehand like there was with the last driver.......second boot up - normal - no error.......third boot up tonight crash showed immediately afterwards.

?

Now wondering whether I should try reinstalling this driver again to see if I can get past that run dll error that showed after installation.....or ? I didn't have any problems at all with the original driver (one before this) but it's not the latest.

UPDATE

Event Viewer last night:

! ? But just checked in System Restore all restore points are still showing

Details Product: Windows Operating System ID: 1 Source: sr Version: 5.2 Symbolic Name: EVMSG_DISABLEDVOLUME Message: The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '%2' while processing the file '%3' on the volume '%4'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.     Explanation

System Restore encountered an error when backing up a protected file. This error causes System Restore to stop copying files and purge all existing restore points. System Restore will automatically restart after the next restore point is created.

User Action

System Restore will restart monitoring file changes immediately if you manually create a restore point (if one has not yet been created).

To manually create a restore point

1. Click the Start button, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
  2. Click Create a restore point, and then follow the instructions.

UPDATE

I have just reinstalled the:ForceWare Release 90
Version :
93.71 WHQL driver

from the link you gave me.

This time I did not see the:

RunDLL Error in Nvcpl.dll
Missing entry: NvcplUpdatePersistData

after installation like I did the last time I installed this (I noticed that a small typo that was previously on that page has been corrected, maybe they have done something).

Unfortunately the crash error shows in Event Viewer again though. This error has been repeatedly showing directly after boot up before I have even opened a browser.

HOWEVER, I have just typed into a Command Prompt (was doing it incorrectly before without "):

sc query "NVIDIA Display Driver Service"

>>>>

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

?

I have advised NVIDIA of this.

Maybe I can just leave this, there are no other problems, no noise, all normal apart from this error.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 08 July 2014 - 05:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

With brand name computers and Dell in particular you should always if possible use the drivers provided by the manufacturer for any component that was supplied as stock when the computer was new, you are caught between a rock and a hard place with your drivers as you have effectively upgraded the OS from the one that was installed when the computer was new and as you are aware Dell do not provide XP drivers for the said video card, your options realistically are to try and find the most stable drivers from a third party download or to try Windows own generic video drivers and see how that goes.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I understand - thank you for guiding me, drivers from the Dell site definitely would be best - odd that Dell hasn't allowed for one upgrade (to XP) and provided drivers for it or perhaps that is usual?

Most of the video drivers on the Dell site for my computer are nVidia drivers for ME - nVidia have assured me that this driver is compatible with my card and the best one for it?

No crash after last 2 boot ups.

I will monitor this.

I wish to check this with you regarding other drivers / XP repair installation.

Taken from here:

http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

"Note: RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:
You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6."

You will recall me telling you this:

In 2012 I received Remote Assistance from a technician after a number of BSODs / mini dumps showed atapi.sys driver to be the culprit. 

On his recommendation a new driver for NVIDIA GeForce2 MX was installed and also IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller -244B

Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

I believe he also added SCSI and RAID controllers / SCSI/RAID Host Controller - don't recall seeing that listed in Device Manager beforehand.

Afterwards I noticed that the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller -244B Secondary IDE Channel had a yellow exclamation mark beside it.

I told him and he accessed my computer again, but afterwards I noticed that instead of the Secondary IDE Channel having an exclamation mark beside it, the Primary IDE Channel had it instead - and still does to this day? Doesn't seem right.....what do you think please - I have to bear this in mind if I do pluck up the courage to carry out an XP repair installation, as you suggested (which I think this computer really needs).

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 July 2014 - 03:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Honest answer is to let sleeping dogs lie if your computer is running ok and only try changing things if something in particular is not working, remember that it could be that there is no Dell compatible XP driver for the device.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

What would I need to do if I were to carry out an XP repair installation (please see end of this post in red) - can I let the SCSI and RAID controllers / SCSI/RAID Host Controller go? Does the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller -244B do the same thing?

At the moment the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller -244B Primary IDE Channel has got a *yellow exclamation mark, but the Secondary IDE Channel has not, it is in use?

Primary IDE Channel

Device status:

*This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Conflicting device list:

Input/Output Range 01F0 - 01F7 used by:
  SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Input/Output Range 03F6 - 03F6 used by:
Interrupt Request 14 used by:

Secondary IDE Channel

Device status:

This device is working properly

Conflicting device list:

No conflicts

SCSI and RAID controllers / SCSI/RAID Host Controller

Device status:

This device is working properly

Conflicting device list:

Primary IDE Channel
  Primary IDE Channel
  Primary IDE Channel

The 'uninstall' option for this device is blanked out, can't click on it.

Taken from here:

http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

"Note: RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:
You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6."

Should I ask on that topic?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 10 July 2014 - 09:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Xp and possibly other OSs prompt you regarding Raid drivers, if you do not have a Raid set-up then you disregard the prompt and continue. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thanks for your reply Phil.

Xp and possibly other OSs prompt you regarding Raid drivers, if you do not have a Raid set-up then you disregard the prompt and continue. 

I do have a Raid set-up it seems and it's in conflict with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller.

This is what I am confused about (full details in previous post).

Can I let the Raid set-up go and just stick with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller if I carry out a repair installation - do they do the same thing?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello scarlet.rose,

I have asked colleague iammykyl to drop in and take a look at your topic as he is clued up on Raid etc whereas I am not, I will still be around though so that I can also learn something new  :)

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you very much Phil. :)

I am pleased to be able to report to you after a number of boot ups that since re-installing the

Driver Version:  93.71 WHQL  

from the link you originally gave me....http://www.nvidia.co...inxp_2k_93.71_2

I have had NO further problems, NO events in Event Viewer, NO crashes - the NVIDIA Display Driver Service is up and running!

I did not get the missing dll error message after installation this time, I think NVIDIA have worked on this driver since I reported the issue and asked for help. I noticed a slight typo had been corrected on the page.

Computer is running very smoothly. :)

Your help and assistance has been appreciated.

I have had a response from Dell regarding memory - I think you can guess! Will update you once this issue is resolved.

Should point out that the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller came from the downloads offered for my computer on the Dell site I believe (at the time). The technician looked them up for me and gave me links to both drivers that were needed (this one definitely was from the Dell site under my computer Dell Dimension 8100), but I lost my nerve when I was asked to confirm 'uninstall' the previous driver, so he took over and remotely assisted me.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 11 July 2014 - 07:19 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday folks, been invited in for a sticky beak.

There has been many alterations to the computer., so we first need to see what the system is like now. 

Please click start. > click Run, in the box that opens, copy and paste the bolded text, diskmgmt.msc > click OK.

On the window that opens , > click on the top blue bar and drag to the centre of the screen, > take a screenshot, then,

> click Start, > click Run, in the window, copy and paste the bolded text, appwiz.cpl > click OK. Maximize the window, take a screenshot, if you can't see all the programs, scroll up and take another shot.

Please run Speccy and provide a new URL.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Hello iammykyl,

Thank you very much for helping me. :)

Please find all requested items below:

[attachment=71553:Disk Management.JPG][attachment=71554:Add - Remove Programs 1.JPG][attachment=71555:Add - Remove Programs 2.JPG]

New Speccy URL:

http://speccy.pirifo...vgGFPhZ5Ta6RR7W

Edited by scarlet.rose, 11 July 2014 - 11:37 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

You do report that the computer is running smoothly and have had no problems recently.   I can't see anything that would cause further problems with the system.

You do have Windows Auto Update switched off.   You should have this switched on, even though official XP support has finished you will still receive updates for the Malicious Software Removal Tool, 

I do have a Raid set-up it seems and it's in conflict with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller.

You do not have a RAID setup.   Please look at the Disk Manager image, you only have one physical HDD,, you need at least two drives to set up a RAID configuration. 

Can I let the Raid set-up go and just stick with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller 

Yes, As Phillpower2 said, "ignore it"

if I carry out a repair installation - do they do the same thing?

No, they don't do the same thing, but I don't think you would get a choice with a repair install, just one would be installed.   If it is bugging you, post a screenshot of device manager.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. I didn't know anything about a Raid set-up, I just assumed I must have one as SCSI and RAID controllers / SCSI/RAID Host Controller are showing in Device Manager (below). So now I know that I don't have to have my controller drivers on a floppy disk to carry out an XP repair installation, pleased about that.

I am puzzled (I'll number these questions to make answering easier for you) -

1. Where have the SCSI and RAID controllers / SCSI/RAID Host Controller come from if my computer doesn't need them - were they installed at some point?

2. Why are they in use if they are not needed?

3. Can they be removed / shut down so that resources can be transferred to the Primary IDE Channel, which is needed I assume?

[attachment=71561:Device Manager.JPG]

Primary IDE Channel

Device status:

*This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Conflicting device list:

"You do report that the computer is running smoothly and have had no problems recently." - Correct, it's running very smoothly and fast at present, best it's been for some time. The remaining issues are some problems with the operating system (which probably caused the SFC errors) and the memory being too low - but I can live with not perfect, just want to make my computer as best I can considering its age.

"I can't see anything that would cause further problems with the system." - Great.

"You do have Windows Auto Update switched off.   You should have this switched on, even though official XP support has finished you will still receive updates for the Malicious Software Removal Tool." - Really, ok will turn it on.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 11 July 2014 - 07:56 PM.