Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

1.   Maybe a Dell tech installed the driver but as RAID was not possible, just left it as is.

2.   Carry out the instructions to see what is attached.

3.   Will let you know when you post the result.

The remaining issues are some problems with the operating system (which probably caused the SFC errors)

What issues do you still have?

and the memory being too low

You can upgrade the RAM, (memory) which would help performance, at a price.   Go to, > http://www.crucial.c...n/systemscanner and follow the instructions.   You do not have to buy from the siet, but it will give you an idea of the costs. 

To see what's connected to that controler, copy and paste into the run box, devmgmt.msc

At the top of the window that opens, > click View, then, > select Device by Connection.

Make sure the controller with the yellow flag is viable, please take a screenshot. 

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Please find below the information you requested :):

[attachment=71569:Device Manager 2.JPG]

I cannot see any way of removing / disabling the SCSI and RAID controllers / SCSI/RAID Host Controller. I cannot see it in add / remove programs and the uninstall / disable option in Device Manager is blanked out.

There are options to uninstall / enable / disable the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels, but not for this.

?

Crucial Scan result:

We’re sorry.

Crucial currently does not have any compatible upgrades available for your particular system. If you have questions or would like further support, please contact our support department.

I believe I have found the correct RD RAM (brand new) on eBay, but the seller hasn't got brilliant feedback from all (mainly due to delivery issues):

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eca066f42

I recently contacted Dell about memory upgrade, this is part of the response from the Dell Corporate office. Worth a try but as I expected really, Dell are a business, they're not really interested in repairing old computers, they're interested in selling new ones.

They've made me fearful of doing it in fact.....I would like your opinion on this>>>>

Dell: "We regret to inform you that due to the technology being obsolete, Dell does not have any more stock available for the upgrade. As the memory module is obsolete we would refer you to a local third party computer store around you.

We would not recommend you to upgrade memory modules on the system considering its age as it might cause motherboard failure."

Me: Permanent failure or only while the new memory modules / ram sticks were in place? If there were a problem would it be reversible once the originals were replaced?

Dell: "With reference to a possible hardware failure, we would not be able to predict if upgrading the memory might cause a temporary or a permanent failure. However as the system is obsolete, memory upgrade may cause Motherboard to fail."

I tend to avoid automatic updates / installations generally due to the ram issue - they impact on performance sometimes causing the browser to lock up and become unresponsive. I regularly manually check for updates.

Regarding the operating system - after I installed SP3 there were problems. I lost Windows Installer (had to re-install), the Help and Support Center stopped working, no results show when I type in a search now and sometimes it gets shut down due to "errors". SFC - "The Help and Support Center has a bad signature. It cannot be restored to its original valid version." System Restore wouldn't work - kept getting: "Your computer cannot be restored to...." no matter what date I chose. I did manage to successfully carry out a System Restore around a week ago, but there have been two similar / separate System Restore related errors showing in Event Viewer recently (which I detailed in this topic a short while ago), that could make it unusable. Also, please see the beginning of this topic regarding all the SFC errors that showed in Event Viewer on completion. I think the operating system is corrupt - I would like to carry out a repair installation at some point, but I'm afraid something may go wrong and I'll be out of my depth without a technician physically beside me to take over if need be. It would be difficult for me to contact you guys if the computer wasn't working, I'd have to go to a main library and use one of theirs and then go back later for the reply.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 July 2014 - 04:41 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You do not need to remove the RAID controler, it is not being used, but is there fi needed, removin it may cause problems.

In Device Manager, > click on the + next to Secondary IDE Channel, > please take a screenshot.

Right click on the ? unsupported Device, > Click Properties, > take a screenshot.

Before making comments on the eBay RAM, what did the Crucial scan say you had installed? 

Try this on line scanner, > http://www.mrmemory....crosoft-windows   Security report for Mr. Memory, > http://www.herdprotect.com/mrmemoryscanner.exe-e19f9856a97671c5de68d94ad3f561fa0b6183c9.aspx

It possible installing new or additional parts on any computer could cuse problems, so there is always a risk.   Dell were just being Cautous so if thigs did go wrong, you could not claim it was thir fault.

Your system may be a bit slow at times as you do have limited memory, try not to have too many applications running together and when browsing and you get that long running hour glass, close a couple of tabs down.

If your system is chugging along OK, I would not do a reinstall. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for your reply. :)

Memory

The memory is what the computer came with, it's never been touched.

The Crucial scan didn't state what I had installed.

Phil (phillpower2) looked into the Dell Manual for my computer - 4 slots - recommendation 4 x 256 MB (no higher)

http://www.dell.com/...on-8100/manuals

Mr Memory Scan result:

http://www.mrmemory..../results/MzYyOA (don't know if that will work)

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation System Series / Model: Dimension 8100 Motherboard Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation Motherboard Model: Dimension 8100 Total Installed Memory: 256 MB Modules Installed: Slot "RIMM_1" has 128 MB installed
Slot "RIMM_2" has 128 MB installed
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Unknown)

http://www.mrmemory.... Dimension 8100

Don't know what GHz my model is - there's 3 listed.

Yes, I do keep as little running as possible at one time to keep demand on ram minimised.

Re: ? Unsupported Device in Device Manager

I and a few technicians have looked into this.

Normal for a XP upgraded Dell Dimension 8100, please see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811152

Should have mentioned that in my last post but it was getting rather long.

[attachment=71597:Unsupported Device.JPG]

RAID Controller / Operating System

As requested, Secondary IDE Channel +:

[attachment=71598:Device Manager Secondary IDE Channel.JPG]

I appreciate your help / advice and what you saying.

I don't like having the Raid Controller because it is not currently needed and it is interfering with the function of the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
I don't want to cause a problem by removing it though. :headscratch:

After thought I am assuming I would have to go through the BIOS to deal with it? I have accessed the BIOS before. How do you fully remove it please?

The operating system does bug me in that I can't rely on System Restore, I can't use the Help and Support Center fully......and all those errors with SFC - I can't help but want to put it right - I am a perfectionist by nature...... :)

But is a XP repair installation risky for me?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 July 2014 - 05:30 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

error - can't delete this - please see post above

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 July 2014 - 11:18 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The 3 systems displayed on Mr. Memory all take exactly the same RAM, this is your model, > http://www.mrmemory.... Dimension 8100 There is also a video on the page for how to change RAM.

Re. the unknown device and use of Dell Support.   You are running a W7 installation, which on install, configured a single partition on C. this wiped out the Dell Recovery partition and links to Dell support, hence the unknown Device.

The RAID controller is not actually using resources, it just has some reserved.   Do not try to alter it in the BIOS.   You can try disabling it in device manager through it's properties tab. but that does no relocate resources.   You would need to change the IRQ and the I/O range, this is something I would not attempt, even on my own system.  

The Dell part number for RAM = Part Number: 

4R128CPE6C

http://www.ic-on-lin...-845&stype=part

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

For the Raid Controller the uninstall / disable option in Device Manager / Properties is blanked out, so I can't do anything there.

Primary IDE Channel

Device status:

*This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Conflicting device list:

Input/Output Range 01F0 - 01F7 used by:
  SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Input/Output Range 03F6 - 03F6 used by:
Interrupt Request 14 used by:

I cannot understand why it was installed?

There's one thing that would completely wipe out the Raid Controller - an XP repair installation (because it's an unsupported device and would need to be saved on a floppy disk beforehand to be kept) - am I correct in saying that?

I found that information here: http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

>>>>>>

Note: RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:
You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6.

I have XP SP3 installed not Windows 7.

Thank you very much for the info and Dell part number for RAM.

What did you think about the eBay RDRAM please?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 July 2014 - 04:28 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

yes the Repair Install will give you a fresh OS and still keep your existing Programs and User Data and providing you do not use the F6 function, you will get rid of the RAID controller.   Here is a similar Tutorial.

http://pcsupport.abo...xprepair1_2.htm

There is one aspect I am unable to confirm.   When looking at the RAM specs you will see,PC800-45ns or PC800-40ns, this is the timing so replace all 4 stick to ensure the timing is identical., so a qualified yes the RAM on the eBay link appears to be OK.   You will need to remove your existing 2 sticks, then install the new 4 sticks, giving a total of 1GB.    Very important that you then test the RAM to make sure it runs OK, before performing a Repair Install of the OS. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you very much for helping me deal with the Raid Controller and RAM issues.

:headscratch: Please see the two answers I have just seen here: http://en.community....t/19398670.aspx. I cannot see a service tag. The eBay one and one of Mr Memory's is ECC - please confirm this is ok? Or does it only matter when you are adding it to the original (which I wouldn't be doing)? All I know about RAM is what I have been taught here.

There's always a risk when making changes to a computer so now I have to pluck up courage to go ahead......it's the only computer I have and I'd be miserable without it.

Previously....

"You would need to change the IRQ and the I/O range, this is something I would not attempt, even on my own system."

Would you kindly confirm that after an XP repair installation both the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Primary and Secondary Channels should automatically function normally (unlike now) and that I would not have to make an adjustment on the computer.

Also how long does an XP repair installation take approximately?

I've only just noticed this:

"Please be kind to all members and click the rep_up.png.pagespeed.ce.hPAGfLRh-l.png on quality posts that are helpful."

Sorry iammykyl, phillpower2, paws and Essexboy - would have clicked that many times.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 15 July 2014 - 04:50 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I can only go by what I have read and am confident your computer will take both types of RAM, providing they are not mixed.   watch this video, > http://pcsupport.abo...xprepair1_2.htm then enter you code to see if the specific RAM is displayed, > http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs

Would you kindly confirm that after an XP repair installation both the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Primary and Secondary Channels should automatically function normally (unlike now) and that I would not have to make an adjustment on the computer.

Repair installation would be under an hour, but, you would then need to allow auto update to run, this could take a couple of hours.  

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"I can only go by what I have read and am confident your computer will take both types of RAM, providing they are not mixed."

Ok, thank you for that and the helpful information.

I've entered the only code I can see on the back of the tower on the Dell site:

"There’s no match for that Service Tag or Express Service code."

I've tried to run the automatically detect device - failed (I tried that some time ago too): "* Activation of http://downloads.del...ect.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Culture name 'zh-hant' is not supported."

Sighhhh

You missed this question, I hope you'll be able to answer:

Regarding the Raid Controller you previously said:

"You would need to change the IRQ and the I/O range, this is something I would not attempt, even on my own system."

Would you kindly confirm that after an XP repair installation and the removal of the problematic Raid Controller both the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Primary and Secondary Channels should automatically function normally (unlike now) and that I would not have to make an adjustment on the computer.

I've only just noticed this:

"Please be kind to all members and click the rep_up.png.pagespeed.ce.hPAGfLRh-l.png on quality posts that are helpful."

Sorry iammykyl, phillpower2, paws and Essexboy - would have clicked that many times.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 16 July 2014 - 06:05 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Would you kindly confirm that after an XP repair installation and the removal of the problematic Raid Controller both the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Primary and Secondary Channels should automatically function normally (unlike now) and that I would not have to make an adjustment on the computer.

Yes.   The RAID controller would only be present on the reinstall if you use the F6 function and load the Driver.

I don't know why there was no success using the service tag, nor what the error codes mean, 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Thank you for all your help, much appreciated. I knew the Raid driver would be gone but I wondered if it had altered a setting that I might need to change.

I assumed it didn't work because the computer was bought too long ago, but I tried that several years ago and it didn't work then either and according to the Dell advisor on that article I showed you it should have for a Dell Dimension 8100. I will ask.

Due to the age of my computer Phil (phillpower2) advised me to copy drivers and left some details on how to do it.....I have a few questions on that.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 16 July 2014 - 06:02 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

UPDATE (prompt Dell response)

With reference to your query regarding ECC and non ECC memory modules, we would like to know the service tag (alpha numeric code) or the express service for the computer. However if your computer was purchased before 2001 and carries a memory of less than 512MB, then the modules inside the system are ECC modules and if it was purchased after June 14, 2001 it would be non ECC module running at PC600 speed of 300MHz.

Please note: You may use either ECC or non ECC module on the system. Memory must be installed in matched pairs for the system to post. Memory module capacity can be different as long as you have matched pairs of RIMM modules. It is preferred that the first slot of each channel be populated first by RIMM modules. This pair of sockets is located next to the processor.

Lastly, I see you have notified that you would be using 4 x 256MB RDRAM in the system. As per the limitations, you can install up to 2GB with matching modules.

Regards,

Mamatha Eswar Rao

Dell | Executive Customer Support Team

Where is the first slot of each channel and the processor? I am not familiar with the inside of a computer, will need to study a picture.

I will look again for a service tag, I gave him the only code I can see........I don't know / can't remember the date it was bought.

I am happy with 1GB (3 times more than what I have now)........the higher the GB the greater the risk of motherboard failure I am thinking, maybe incorrectly? 2GB is more than stated in the Dell manual I believe.

Will update later on this post with driver queries mentioned above.

UPDATE

The Dell advisor above has asked for my phone number so he can call to discuss what I don't know or am uncertain about.

Phil, hope you are still reading this topic....

Previously: "You should save the Dell drivers direct from their website and the same for any third party printer etc, you may find it easier to create a folder named Dell on your desktop, save the drivers from Dell to that and then copy the folder and its contents to your thumb drive."

Not been sure what drivers to copy since we saw that most on the Dell site are for Windows ME. You told me how to copy the Windows drivers, but I need to check this: so I click on download the driver and save it to the folder, correct? I'm fearing the driver might start being installed if I click on download. I've only ever installed one driver, the NVIDIA one.

Also, should I update the 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TXCompatible) 1/7/2001 Driver Version: 4.5.0.0 - don't think it has ever been updated unless the last technician updated it without telling me.....and if so what one should I choose please?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 18 July 2014 - 09:36 AM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I am putting this in a new post because it may be missed otherwise. I have been having intermittent problems viewing this topic and I need it to study instructions that were given to me.

Phil,....

Previously: "You should save the Dell drivers direct from their website and the same for any third party printer etc, you may find it easier to create a folder named Dell on your desktop, save the drivers from Dell to that and then copy the folder and its contents to your thumb drive."

Not been sure what drivers to copy since we saw that most on the Dell site are for Windows ME. You told me how to copy the Windows drivers, but I need to check this: so I click on download the driver and save it to the folder, correct? I'm fearing the driver might start being installed if I click on download. I've only ever installed one driver, the NVIDIA one.

Also, should I update the 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TXCompatible) 1/7/2001 Driver Version: 4.5.0.0 - don't think it has ever been updated unless the last technician updated it without telling me.....and if so what one should I choose please?