Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

The site is experiencing a slight technical problem atm but rest assured the Admin/s will be dealing with it  :thumbsup:

1.Click Download Now to download the file. 
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to disk and click OK. The Save In: window appears. 
3.From the Save In: field, choose the desired save-to folder on the hard-drive and click Save. The file will be downloaded to the chosen destination folder. 
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close and you are done.

If you are not having issues with the ethernet then please leave well alone or it is possible that you may actually cause problems, see article here 

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the instructions Phil. No, there are no problems with the ethernet and I definitely don't want to create any.

For in future: In Device Manager there is an option to 'update driver' - should that ever be clicked on?

Ok....at the moment I can only view page 1 of this topic and I am answering your response by viewing it in my mail inbox. At times I haven't been able to access this topic at all, I did report that.

I have been trying to access my computer manual but every time I do my computer starts locking up (probably due to ram, happens with Adobe Reader sometimes) - I think the answers to my questions lie there - how to open the case, what the inside looks like.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

You are welcome scarlet.rose  :)

No need to ever click on anything concerning updating drivers unless as previously stated it is in an attempt at resolving a specific issue.

While we are having this technical blip, click on the reply to this topic tab and you will be able to see a number of previous posts.

Can I ask why you want to look inside your case, is it regarding a possible Ram upgrade.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, was just wondering if it was actually ok for someone like me with limited computer knowledge to click on 'update driver' instead of searching and being unsure.

"Can I ask why you want to look inside your case, is it regarding a possible Ram upgrade."

Yes>>>>

Dell: " It is preferred that the first slot of each channel be populated first by RIMM modules. This pair of sockets is located next to the processor."

? Where's that?!

Regarding discharging static electricity, Mr Memory video: "This can be done by simply touching a grounded metal object, such as a radiator."

Haven't got a radiator, what could I touch, what does grounded mean?

Would need to know exactly what I am doing, I'm already nervous about possible motherboard failure without any added uncertainty!

You've taught me so much Phil, big thank you. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Please see attachment below for memory slot information.

Excuse the title of the upgrade guide and start at Install the memory stage here

No need for a radiator to ground/earth yourself, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the power supply unit.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Pesky gremlins  :headscratch:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

That is exactly what I need, a diagram! Great, thank you Phil for that and the info.

All is still well with the NVIDIA driver btw, no further crashes or bad behaviour. :)

I can't really save any Dell drivers can I........unless they add some XP ones, which I doubt they will now. I have mentioned this issue to the Dell advisor I am liaising with.

I looked in Speccy and found this (below), the eBay one seems to match: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

255.pngRAM

Memory slots
Total memory slots: 
Used memory slots: 
Free memory slots: 

Memory
Type: 
RDRAM
Size: 
256 MBytes
Channels #: 
Dual
DRAM Frequency: 
398.8 MHz

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 
82 %
Total Physical: 
255 MB
Available Physical: 
44 MB
Total Virtual: 
934 MB
Available Virtual: 
511 MB

SPD
Number Of SPD Modules: 
Slot #1
Type: 
RDRAM
Size: 
128 MBytes
Manufacturer: 
Unknown
Max Bandwidth: 
PC800-45 (400 MHz)
Part Number: 
4R128CPE6C-845
Serial Number: 
Week/year: 
15 / 01
Timing table

Slot #2
Type: 
RDRAM
Size: 
128 MBytes
Manufacturer: 
Unknown
Max Bandwidth: 
PC800-45 (400 MHz)
Part Number: 
4R128CPE6C-845
Serial Number: 
A4028125
Week/year: 
15 / 01
Timing table

Edited by scarlet.rose, 21 July 2014 - 04:25 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The RAM on the eBay link are the same as discussed earlier, they are compatible.  

Did you watch the Mr Memory video? > http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/dell/dimension/8100-1.4ghz?scanner=Dell+Computer+Corporation+Dimension+8100 

When the page loads, click the Product Specifications bar, video is on the left. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Good day iammykyl, :)

Yes I did watch that video - very good, I was unsure about the 'touch a radiator' advice - but that query has been answered.

You were a great help to me.

I'm not sure how much of what we discussed Phil is aware of, I did discuss memory upgrade with him previously, so was just updating him. I learned it was compatible but I have subsequently seen on my Speccy report that PC800-45 (400 MHz) matches the eBay one exactly.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 21 July 2014 - 08:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

All appears well in hand then  :thumbsup:

Regarding the drivers, you can run DriverView, print off the results, do a Google search for each one, tick them off if you are able to download and save them to a newly created Driver folder on your desktop, DriverView from here

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

:thumbsup: Yes it does, thank you for the info.

As we previously spoke about and agreed on me approaching Dell for advice I will update you on this......

2 Dell technical advisors called me yesterday.

I'm keeping in mind that Dell are probably being cautious, in case I place the blame on them if anything were to go wrong (which I wouldn't do, as the computer is well out of the guarantee period!).......but nevertheless they have made me nervous about upgrading the memory.

I was told there is a 50/50 chance of motherboard failure, to just put 2 memory modules in to start, test and then add 2 more if all is well and to not go any higher than 400 MHz speed.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 22 July 2014 - 11:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Sound advice from Dell regarding only fitting two sticks to start with but somewhat alarmist regarding MB failure being caused by upgrading the Ram :headscratch:  

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"but somewhat alarmist regarding MB failure being caused by upgrading the Ram headscratch.gif.pagespeed.ce.A96RidVYaL. "

That's made me feel easier - 50/50 is a high risk and I actually said that when I was told.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Things can and do go wrong but 9 out of 10 times it is caused by human error, you have done a lot of research on this and that will help upgrading go more smoothly.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Do I have the longest topic on Geeks to Go? :lol:

It was only one question to start wasn't it.......

Edited by scarlet.rose, 22 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.