Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I recently ran the sfc /scannow command. System File Checker completed without giving me any notifications other than a number of:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache."

I was prompted to insert my XP SP3 installation CD and click on 'retry'.

The scan lasted for around 40 minutes then closed.......at no stage was I advised that it had been unsuccessful.

When I restarted my computer directly afterwards, half way through booting a 'please wait' appeared, as if something was taking place.

I thought all had gone well until I looked in Event Viewer later. There are approximately 90 Windows File Protection entries there mostly with the following information:

The system file ........ could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

Does anyone know what causes that error and what I need to do to resolve it please? If System File Checker had not successfully copied files into the DLL cache why did it not notify me of this - is that usual?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 06 June 2014 - 05:09 AM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi, once you have run sfc /scannow if damaged or missing files are identified then sfc will ask for your Windows XP Installation disc to be inserted.... the required files will then be copied to the dll cache (unless you click either skip or cancel)

As there are errors it may be wise to run sfc /scannow again and make sure your Windows XP SP3 installation disc is handy, ( and of the correct version) as sfc may ask for this to be inserted.

Remember that Win XP is no longer supported routinely by Microsoft ( since 8th April 2014) and is not safe to use on the Internet without taking extra ordinary precautions.

Regards

paws

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Thank you for helping.

I should have mentioned I did run sfc /scannow again - exactly the same errors appeared in Event Viewer.

I have a XP SP3 os, I did insert the correct XP SP3 installation CD on both occasions, as prompted - it was accepted.

?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 06 June 2014 - 08:46 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

apart from the items shown in event viewer what symptoms is your computer showing that is causing trouble?

Regards

paws

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I recently purchased a new XP SP3 installation CD specifically to carry out sfc /scannow, as previously it kept asking me for a CD and I didn't have one......so I really do want to complete this! I want to make sure my computer's file system is generally healthy, it's been some time since the operating system was installed. I do not have enough knowledge to carry out a new installation.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 06 June 2014 - 10:54 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok all understood.

But can you respond please to the question..

"

"apart from the items shown in event viewer what symptoms is your computer showing that is causing trouble?"

Regards

paws

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

After I installed SP3 through Microsoft Updates there were some immediate problems - the Help and Support Center stopped functioning (nothing shows in the search results region - SFC mentioned this as having a bad signature, but it could not be restored to its original valid version) and I cannot run System Restore anymore, no matter what date I choose I get: Restoration incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored to......'.

My computer had some BSOD's not so long ago with the error code: 0xc000021a, although there hasn't been any for the last month or so. That is my main concern.

There has also been malware on it in the past, but that was successfully removed (I was told it was not serious). I wonder whether it modified a number of files though, it did knock out the Security Center and I was remotely assisted with that issue by Microsoft Support technicians.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 06 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi ,Ok all understood,
I am away on holiday tomorrow for a fortnight, so hopefully one of the other techs will pick up your topic if you need further help.

Here are the thoughts that I have on this whole situation

1 You mention that certain problems started happening upon installation of SP3..... SP3 was issued 7 years ago .......

2 The 21a stop error (BSOD) is often associated with a failed installation of a service pack like SP3

3 It seems pretty clear that the malware that "knocked out your security centre" was not dealt with completely and satisfactorily and it must be remembered that malware is difficult to remove at the best of times, but by using remote assistance it is made even more difficult and often multiple reboots may be necessary thus losing the remote connection each time.....( some files often need a reboot to remove them completely and if this was not undertaken correctly, may be contributing to your problems.

4 You are trying to fix an operating system ( Windows XP)  that is no longer supported by Microsoft (since 8th April 2014) and which is likely to become increasing vulnerable to infection and attack and is unsafe to use on the Internet (without taking extraordinary precautions)

5 There may be hardware errors on your computer (presumably its quite old?) as well as operating system errors and possibly other software errors.

6 Here's, some suggestions of possible next steps for your consideration.

7 Carry out hardware checks to see if anything obvious is wrong (check your hard drive by downloading the hard drive manufacturers drive testing/repair utility..) see here:

http://pcsupport.abo...p/tophddiag.htm

8 If your hard drive is Ok then download a live distro of linux ( linux Puppy is good) boot from it and test your machine by using it to open documents view pictures, browse the Internet etc.... give it a good workout, if its Ok with no problems then you have eliminated most hardware issues....Puppy will be quite happy running entirely within RAM and will not write anything to your hard drive ( unless you ask it to) Linux Puppy available here:

http://puppylinux.or...ing Started.htm

9 Run the Windows 7 update adviser tool..... as a wise move might be to replace your Windows XP with something more robust and less vulnerable to attack/infection/explotation. ( see here for more information)

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=20

10  If your machine is too old to run properly on an updated Windows operating system then you could install a Linux or other free operating system. An alternative would be to acquire a new computer with a supported operating system. 

11 If you are determined to stick with windows XP come what may, then a full format and reinstall of Win XP, and install of SP3 and all available updates together with a good anti virus, anti spyware, anti exploit protection together with a good third party firewall (or at least the native Windows firewall operational) and always operating from behind a hardware firewall (such as is found in most routers) may provide an element of protection..... BUT your whole system will still become more vulnerable to attack as time goes on...

12 once you have a fresh install of Windows, with all applications installed, all appropriate protections in place, fully updated, all junk files removed, defragged and running fast and sweet then take a disc image, verify it, make bootable media able to access the image and keep at least one extra copy safe offsite on removable media..... then in the event of software or operating system trouble striking in the future, you will be able to reimage your computer and have it back and up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog! 
Details available from here:

http://www.thefreeco...pandimage.shtml

If you have important stuff on your computer that may not have been included in your back ups ( stuff you don't want to lose permanently) then it would be wise to back it all up again and make sure you have multiple copies kept in different locations( Obviously not on your computer's main hard drive!)

Regards
paws

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

What a kind man you are paws.......taking the time to write a detailed action plan for me - your help and advice is much appreciated and has been taken on board.

It is an older Dell desktop computer, originally had Windows ME on it. The XP Operating System was installed by a PC World Technician in September 2008 (not something I have ever done). I installed SP3 myself afterwards, I tried to uninstall it but wasn't able to.

I hate being without a computer, it is of paramount importance to me. A new computer is needed, but at present I cannot afford one. I would have to summon a technician to carry out a reinstallation, I would get stuck if I tried myself and I cannot afford to do that either.

My computer has had a number of BSODs since July 2012 (none before) with different error codes, some driver related, these were dealt with. The 21a stop error (BSOD) first occurred in April 2014 when I was running CCleaner (it occurred a second time at exactly the same cleaning point, towards the end), which is very odd as I had been using CCleaner for years without any problems. I subsequently uninstalled it, but there was a further 21a stop error (BSOD) after that when it was not running.

In relation to XP: ".......BUT your whole system will still become more vulnerable to attack" - What sort of attack please - hackers, viruses, both?

I really hope someone can tell me what the SFC / Event Viewer error code 0x800b0100 means so I can complete SFC. I don't understand why Microsoft makes software that generates an error code, but then doesn't detail on their site what this error code means or how to resolve it. Even if XP is no longer supported there should still be previous documentation on it available to view.......if it was ever produced.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 07 June 2014 - 09:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If I may chime in while paws is on holiday  :)

The error code 0x800b0100 may suggest that Windows has not been able to update, try Microsoft Fix it from here

As has been previously mentioned by paws XP is deemed a security risk so the following is only intended to see if getting all important XP and IE8 updates resolves the issue, once the system has been confirmed as fully up to date the Auto Update setting must be disabled, follow the steps here to check your security centre settings

Once the issue is resolved you should create your own system restore disk so that everything is on the one disk.

Do you have a link to the exact type of XP disk that you purchased, if not can you upload a picture of it for us.

NB: Just so that you are aware, it is sometimes necessary to run SFC 4 or 5 times before all repairs are completed, if all repairs are not completed after that it suggests that the OS is damaged beyond repair, the HDD has issues or worse case scenario both.

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

phillpower2......thank you very much for helping me.

I just tried to run Microsoft Fix It from the link you gave me for XP SP3, the os I have. "This troubleshooter does not apply to your system. We're sorry, but this troubleshooter is not compatible with your current system's configuration."

?! Could this be linked to Microsoft stopping support for XP? Should I try manually - is it ok to given what I have just been told?

When I recently checked there were no Microsoft Updates available for my computer, I check regularly, as I do not have this set to Auto Update.

This is what I purchased and used for sfc /scannow:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

This is how I tried to determine if the CD (DVD is listing error, I checked) is genuine or not (taken from the Microsoft site) - all present, I feel pretty certain it is:

Microsoft packaged software products such as Windows, Office, and Windows Server come on a holographic CD or DVD, which shows vibrant color and 3D effects as the disc is tilted. This hologram is embedded within the disc; it is not a sticker.

The COA is a sticker or a label that is attached to the retail packaging for products such as Windows, Office, or Windows Server. A COA should always accompany the product with which it is associated. COAs cannot be purchased separately. COA features the product name printed on the label and also contains anti-copy security features such as:
    • Interwoven security thread – is built into the paper and random paper fibers are visible when the thread appears at the surface
    • Color shifting ink edge - changes from green to magenta when viewed from different angles

On the thin Inner Mirror Band (IMB) ring of mine, there is an area that shows “Microsoft” changing to the word “Genuine” as the disc is tilted from left to right.

"it is sometimes necessary to run SFC 4 or 5 times before all repairs are completed" - useful information.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 08 June 2014 - 10:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome scarlet.rose  :)

Please do not run the manual fix it test as it is not apparent why the fix is not compatible.

Your disk does sound genuine which is also supported by the reviews of others that have purchased the same product from the seller, you may need to do a Repair Installation to resolve this issue and this will establish if your disk is good or not, do the following first and post a screenshot for us please;

1. Go to the start menu at the bottom left corner.
  2. Choose control panel from the menu.
  3. Find the Add or Remove programs icon and double click on it to open it.
  4. A list of installed programs will appear. To see Windows updates put a tick in the box next to Show updates.
  5. Now you will also see all of the updates that are on your computer.

Automaticup.PNG

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

All that shows in Add/Remove programs is Windows XP Service Pack 3, there is no option to show updates, no updates listed when I click on this. I have just checked again to see if any updates are available via Security Center again - only an End of Support one is, which I haven't installed.

I'm too afraid to do an Installation or Repair Installation because I can't summon a technician to physically look at the computer if something were to go wrong......it would worry me too much. I would only attempt that if I had a black screen or couldn't use the computer.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I've just gone to Microsoft Updates and viewed my Update History, which is listed on four separate pages.

All were successful, but this one failed 3 times (seen some other people had problems too with this):

KB2310138

Error Code: 0x80070652

Please also see my message above.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 08 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here