Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...nCnw4wm0LPz0VJ0

That is impressive! I know ram is low - I tried to upgrade it, the PC World technician said he couldn't do it because it is Rambus, which they didn't stock.......he said it might be hard for me to get hold of and expensive.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 08 June 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The minimal Ram is not your main concern, system security is as Speccy shows that XP has not been updates for almost two years when SP3 was installed on 19/11/2011 Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)

Also worth mentioning is that you have two anti virus programs (of sorts) running Immunet 3 and McAfee, this does not offer better protection and in fact it is the exact opposite as you end up with no protection because the two cancel each other out, with this in mind I would ask you to refer to the GTG malware redirection information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I really appreciate your help.

I only actually have one anti-virus installed, Immunet 3, what you are seeing is either McAfee Site Advisor and/or McAfee Security Scan, neither are anti-virus. I have NEVER had two anti-virus programs running simultaneously on my computer.

It appears Microsoft Updates is not picking up updates for my computer in that case because I've regularly scanned for them and I ALWAYS install Priority Updates and check optional ones, so what do I do now please? How can I install updates if it says my computer doesn't need any?! Very concerned by this - have there definitely been updates available?

At present only 3 Optional and one High Priority Microsoft Updates are being offered - the High priority one being Windows XP End of Support Notification, which I don't need. This is from today's scan:

Select High-Priority Updates

Review and install updates  Total:  1 updates , 504 KB , less than 1 minute

High-priority updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207)
Download size: 504 KB , less than 1 minute
This update is intended to notify customers of the Windows XP End of Support date, April 8th 2014.

I regularly run a number of malware scans: McAfee Stinger, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, TDSSKiller, sometimes aswMBR - all recently clear. The Microsoft technicians who remotely assisted me instructed me to run so many different ones too and when they left said my computer was clear.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 08 June 2014 - 07:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You have at one time used Microsoft Security Essentials as AV protection and this is shown in your Speccy report, the update you have mentioned that will not install KB2310138 has various definitions, they are two years old and specific to MSE, see here

Are you aware of the emergency IE8 update released after April 8th 2014, see here

My advice is still the same as in my reply #17 in that you get the computer checked for malware by the GTG experts but can you also post the previously requested screenshot so that we can see what is going on in Add/Remove programs and possibly Updates.

1. Go to the start menu at the bottom left corner.
  2. Choose control panel from the menu.
  3. Find the Add or Remove programs icon and double click on it to open it.
  4. A list of installed programs will appear. To see Windows updates put a tick in the box next to Show updates.
  5. Now you will also see all of the updates that are on your computer.

Automaticup.PNG

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I've finally found the 'Show updates' option at the top of Add/Remove programs, wasn't looking there. In Microsoft Updates History there are four pages worth of 'successful' updates, but there are only 15 showing here.

I tried once several times to install Microsoft Security Essentials, it would not activate.......I went onto the Microsoft site for help and support, that is when I was remotely assisted by technicians, but they couldn't activate it either. They found some malware, which had accessed my computer while this was taking place, in the short time I was without an anti-virus program - they told me it was not serious and removed it. So I have never been able to use Microsoft Security Essentials.

I will look at the IE8 update - thank you - I only use IE to go to Microsoft Updates, I use Firefox at all other times.

I want to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer, I have just gone to Add/Remove programs to do so, but there is no 'Remove' option showing? I can't uninstall it from there, that's not happened before, please help.

What is wrong, why hasn't Microsoft Updates given me that update and should my computer have had any others, how will I find out please?

The hard drive looked ok on Speccy, am I correct in saying that?

Avast malware technicians assisted me once when a page I regularly used kept being redirected. They ran a number of tests and scans on my computer, which were all clear - they said the problem was the actual page itself.......but half way through a GMER anti-rootkit scanner they used a BSOD occurred - the first BSOD my computer had ever had (I did at the time subsequently read that it can cause problems with older computers). Further BSODs immediately followed, which were driver related, I had to get remote assistance then to replace it. That has made me apprehensive about using advanced malware scans.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 09 June 2014 - 11:45 AM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Finally managed the screenshot (see below) ..... totally confused!

Here is the list in Microsoft Updates History (all marked as successful bar the one I previously mentioned, which failed 3 times (others have mentioned same problem with that one):

Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB978338)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB979309)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB981332)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB977816)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB980232)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB975561)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB976662)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB978706)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB971468)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB977914)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 

Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB979482)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB980195)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows Media Format Runtime 9, 9.5 & 11 for Windows XP SP2 (KB978695)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB980218)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB981793)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB978542)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Users of Windows XP (KB976002)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB978601)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 for Windows XP SP2 (KB979402)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB979683)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 

MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.129.1437.0)  11 July 2012 Other Source 
Windows  Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256  11 July 2012 Automatic Updates 
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1  14 June 2012 Windows Update 
Windows XP Microsoft Corporation - Sound - Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)  12 June 2012 Windows Update 
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1  11 June 2012 Windows Update 
Windows XP Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - November 2011 (KB890830)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB2229593)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB979559)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB975562)  19 November 2011 Windows Update 

Visual Studio 2010 Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2565063)  29 July 2012 Microsoft Update 
Visual Studio 2008 Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)  29 July 2012 Microsoft Update 
Visual Studio 2005 Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)  29 July 2012 Microsoft Update 
Windows XP Nvidia Corporation - Video - NVIDIA GeForce2 MX  29 July 2012 Microsoft Update 
MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.131.220.0)  19 July 2012 Other Source 
MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.129.1713.0)  15 July 2012 Other Source 
MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.129.1702.0)  15 July 2012 Other Source 
MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.129.1632.0)  13 July 2012 Other Source 
MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.129.1535.0)  12 July 2012 Other Source 
MS Security Essentials Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.129.1437.0)  11 July 2012 Other Source

Edited by scarlet.rose, 09 June 2014 - 01:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thank you for the update/s scarlet.rose  :thumbsup:

What we can see from your screenshot is that it was almost 3 years before XP SP3 was installed on the computer and that there were circa 1 and 2 year intervals between further updates, it is no wonder that you have been the victim of malware infection in the past and I strongly suspect that the computer is infected again, I am not permitted or indeed qualified to offer malware removal guidance so you absolutely must follow the GTG malware redirection information that I have provided.

As an asides and forgive me if I sound blunt here, it is both shocking and unbelievable that you have in the past been assisted by PC World, Avast and Microsoft but none of them picked up that XP was not fully updated, just so that you are aware, SP3 contains all of the updates that were released since SP2 was issued, it is the many missing updates from 19/11/2011 to 08/04/2014 that desperately need to be downloaded and installed.

In addition to the above, you have not been offered any updates for XP by Microsoft because Windows Update is disabled, as per Speccy results - AutoUpdate: Disabled

To turn off Internet Explorer in Windows XP
  1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, then click Add or Remove Programs.

2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

3. Untick the checkbox for Internet Explorer, click Next, then click Finish.

There is nothing more that I can suggest now until the computer is given the all clear of malware by the staff on those forums.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thanks very much for your continued help and time phillpower2, for all the useful information you are giving me - much appreciated.

"In addition to the above, you have not been offered any updates for XP by Microsoft because Windows Update is disabled, as per Speccy results - AutoUpdate: Disabled"

My computer's os should be fully updated. On Microsoft Updates you can choose either Express or Custom Install. Prior to April 8th 2014 I regularly carried out scans after checking Custom Install, I installed ALL High Priority  / Critical Updates that were offered to me. I only checked Optional ones and installed those that I knew applied to my computer. All High Priority Updates that my computer hadn't had should have showed each time my computer was scanned for the Custom install? It was scanned 2 days ago, like I said only one: Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207) showed. The emergency IE8 update released after April 8th 2014 should have been offered to me then, it is available under manual install.

The PC World technician only installed XP, he didn't say anything at all to me about SP3. If he had told me what you just have I would have installed it straight away. Why did he not install it? I never carry out complicated work myself because my knowledge on computers is limited.

I appreciate what you are saying......if there is malware on my computer between them the malware scans I regularly run - McAfee Stinger, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, TDSSKiller, sometimes aswMBR - are giving me incorrect all clear results.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 10 June 2014 - 04:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I am happy to continue assisting you with this if it is still required after the computer has been checked and confirmed as being 100% malware free.

You appear adamant that you have been installing updates but the information that you have provided clearly shows that XP has never been consistently kept updated, this itself may be as a result of malware infection but as I have said I am not qualified to help you confirm this.

I appreciate what you are saying......if there is malware on my computer between them the malware scans I regularly run - McAfee Stinger, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, TDSSKiller, sometimes aswMBR - are giving me incorrect all clear results.

You can have what  you may think is the most secure computer in the world but the bad guys will always find a way in + keep in mind that it is too late to prevent your computer from being infected using after the fact scanning tools, you need first hand real time protection such as Avast, Avira or MSE to even stand a chance, I would not rely on or trust Immunet and based on the following statement;

Companion Antivirus: Immunet Free Antivirus, a free antivirus download, is compatible with existing antivirus products to help protect you better. Add an extra, lightweight layer of protection for free

The following from the tutorial by admin;

Important note: Geeks to Go highly recommends uninstalling any other antivirus software BEFORE installing another antivirus application. Antivirus programs often conflict and can cause system slowdowns, crashes, or even leave you unprotected. 

Full tutorial here

XP is deemed to be at such high risk from hackers stealing your identity, banking details etc it is recommended that you do not use the computer online until you have upgraded to a more secure Microsoft OS or gotten rid of XP and installed a free Linux OS.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, I understand, all taken on board.

Well Microsoft Updates Custom Install cannot be functioning correctly, not only pre April 8th 2014 but post. The recent Security Update for Internet Explorer (2965111), which Microsoft made an exception to and rolled out to XP SP3 users in May 2014 is not being offered to me at all under Custom Install. So how can I get it please? This is crazy!

Microsoft Updates once installed a long out of date NET Framework version 1.1 on my computer! I choose Custom Install so that I know exactly what is being installed on my computer.

Yes I am aware it is a companion antivirus, but I had little choice. I couldn't activate MSE, I used Avast for a long time and was happy with it, then they released a new program and my computer had a number of BSODs (all confirmed to be Avast driver related) - they themselves subsequently admitted that this had indeed caused several error coded BSODs - it put me off. Also I heard they use GMER technology (remember the BSOD my computer had half way through a GMER anti-rootkit scanner). I tried to install Avira before I installed Immunet - BSOD during installation! AVG seriously weighed my computer down. There was an error, which prevented installation of another, which I can't at present remember the name of.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 10 June 2014 - 06:03 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Due to the high security risk it entails you should not be using IE8 in any event and by not using it you are not only marginally less at risk security wise etc you are also doing away with a problematic update. 

Download and install Google Chrome from here

Disable IE8 as detailed below;

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, then click Add or Remove Programs.

2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

3. Untick the checkbox for Internet Explorer, click Next, then click Finish.

Follow the GTG malware redirection steps below;

I am sorry but the above is the last that I can offer until your computer is checked for and confirmed 100% malware free, it is entirely your choice whether you follow the guidance that I have offered, just so that you are aware the GTG malware staff will not ask to remotely access your computer only walk you through checking the computer out yourself.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, thank you.

Just want to point out that I can only access Microsoft Updates through Internet Explorer 8.

Perhaps I should try turning Automatic Updates on to see if that critical update gets installed?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 10 June 2014 - 06:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

As per my reply #26

Do nothing other than has been suggested for now, wait and see what the malware staff advise.

You seem to be avoiding getting the computer checked for malware, not wise to I`m afraid and especially if you have personal data on the computer.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I'm just trying to think of how I can get that update.......and wondering how this update issue could have occurred under one of the two options given to install Microsoft Updates: Custom Install.

I am of course a little apprehensive about certain malware scans after what happened before, although I do regularly run the ones I mentioned earlier - MBAM included. I would not use a GMER rootkit scanner again because of the damage it could do to my older computer.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 10 June 2014 - 06:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I have asked that this topic be checked out by our colleagues over on the Malware Forums and will not chime back in again unless appropriate.