Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow error codes in Event Viewer (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you very much. I was about to post this query in the Malware Forum:

Query regarding modern malware scans on older computers

One of your tech colleagues (non malware) has suggested that my computer be tested for malware.

I have previously had a bad experience with an advanced rootkit scan.

Would you kindly tell me if this is ok to run on my older computer, a Dell Desktop 8100 (I have successfully run OTL on it in the past):

OTL by OldTimer is a modern, more powerful replacement for HijackThis.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 10 June 2014 - 08:45 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there, OTL is quite safe as it initially only does and analysis scan

Could you create a topic in the malware forum, putting the link here and I will pick it up

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

phillpower2

Re: Our discussion regarding the recent emergency / critical update for Internet Explorer (2965111)

Now I am free to leave the malware forum I want to turn on Automatic Microsoft Updates to see if I can get this....... to see what happens!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I am also following your malware topic and can see that you and Essexbox have this in hand so it is not appropriate for me to interfere by posting any guidance here at present  :thumbsup:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I understand. :) It was a little awkward for me - I didn't want to leave you out, as you were the one who alerted me to this issue.

Next step scheduled Windows Update - see what happens (I also posted above the Microsoft Fix it entry, might be missed).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I understand. :) It was a little awkward for me - I didn't want to leave you out, as you were the one who alerted me to this issue.

Most thoughtful of you  :hug:

Next step scheduled Windows Update - see what happens (I also posted above the Microsoft Fix it entry, might be missed).

Fingers crossed   :thumbsup:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Awww :hug:

Great emoticon :)

I just put myself in your position. I always think of others and try to be tactful.

It hasn't worked, it's not made any difference! Still no updates. I'm so frustrated (and very tired today), I am trying so hard to put my computer right.

I think I'm fighting a losing battle with Microsoft and XP.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 04:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Martin (Essexboy) is most prolific at what he does and if it can be sorted consider it done, it may just be a little more difficult to resolve due to XP no longer being supported by MS, if XP was still supported you could have left Auto Update enabled and given the OS a chance to update itself, as has been mentioned the state of play with Microsoft's servers regarding XP is not known for sure.

Keep your chin up, you will get there and most likely with your malware topic concluding the issue, I meanwhile will keep looking in on both threads but only contribute here (if appropriate) for obvious reasons.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

I have every faith in the two men who are currently assisting me here. :)

I'm not totally sure whether the issue is still at my end, did Microsoft Fix it really completely fix it?!

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 02:19 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
All is so far running very well, very smoothly, Avast still installed, no incidents to report.

What do you think about the intermittent BSODs since April please?

I am considering a repair installation as you suggested, after all Windows Updates / Security Center was corrupted and so is the Help and Support Center, a number of other files will probably be so too........possibly as things currently are or maybe only if they get worse, after I have read up on how to do it and feel more confident - although what holds me back is if it were to go wrong I'm not sure I could manage a clean installation.

I think like you said that may be the only way to deal with the SFC errors (apart from carrying out a clean installation).

Do you have any information available on repair installation for XP please?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 17 June 2014 - 04:05 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

My apologies for the delay but I am unable to respond until Wednesday evening UK time due to unforeseen circumstances  :(​  

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

No problem, I hope it's nothing serious.

Computer is currently running well, so I don't need an urgent response, I can wait until the weekend, next week if need be......whenever is convenient for you.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

This does not require an urgent response, but I thought it best to add now rather than later.

Yesterday I installed the Internet Explorer critical update from May 1st 2014:

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8 
(2964358)

Remote Code Execution

Critical

None

from here: https://technet.micr...y/ms14-021.aspx

Now whenever I try to open Internet Explorer 8, it opens then immediately shuts down and a Yahoo file download box opens:

"Do you want to save this file?

Name: uk_yahoo_com.htm

Type: Firefox HTML Document

Security Warning: The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download."

?

Internet Explorer was functioning normally before.

In Event Viewer only:

NtServicePack

Window XP Hotfix KB2964358-IE8 was installed

Nothing else to note

:(

Edited by scarlet.rose, 18 June 2014 - 11:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Anything security related is often best checked with the malware staff, please post your reply #43 in your malware topic asap so as to avoid the topic being closed, if Essexboy gives you the ok we can continue here.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Hi, :)

Hope all is well.

Recent update issue sorted.

What do you think about the intermittent BSODs 0xC000021A since April please? Happened again when i tried to install Rapport Security Software?

All is running very smoothly and fast at present, older computer, XP and Avast Anti-virus getting on well!

Edited by scarlet.rose, 25 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.