Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager on an XP desktop

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I'd welcome an explanation of  the displays I see when I click Task Manager\Performance.

Re the CPU Usage display: What is the unit of time for each unit of the x-axis?

Re the PF display: What does "PF" mean" My reading shows a flat line of 1.21 GB; is that too high, too low? How do I modify it?

Where can I get more information on what Task Manager is telling me?

Thanks.    .... wdc

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
There's some information Here. That may be helpful to you.

Joe

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Joe: Thanks much. That is the best treatment I have seen. But it still is not complete or simple enough for me. I don't believe it answers the specific questions I posed (re the units on the time (horizontal) axis). So, I welcome any other GtG suggestions. ... batpark

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I'm not sure if I understood your first question well, but for the first question :

"Re the CPU Usage display: What is the unit of time for each unit of the x-axis?"

If you count the display ticks of that graph, you can see that there's one tick every second and that it goes through a full square in 5 seconds, so I guess 5 would be the answer if this is what you're asking.

For the second question :

"Re the PF display: What does "PF" mean" My reading shows a flat line of 1.21 GB; is that too high, too low? How do I modify it?"

PF stands for page file. It's a file where Windows store the data that cannot be held by your computer's RAM when it's filled up (full). Here's a good guide to understanding what the page file is and also how to modify it's values (with pictures included !) :

http://www.howtogeek...you-disable-it/

Does it answer your question ?