Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could someone help me..Dell Inspiron M1050 won´t turn on

• Please log in to reply

1pinkcoco

1pinkcoco

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I have a dell inspiron m1050 was working perfectly, until it suddently turned off. I took it for repair about 1 year ago for motherboard issues which made it turn off and gave me 7 beeps.

Now its different tho. There are no beeps. I tried connecting to an external monitor one time and checked the battery life was good. I tried the ¨30 sec method¨ as well as pressing the power buttom plus the ¨d¨ key which got the screen to turn different colors but then it worked good for about 2 days.

then it turned off again but now nothing works, i can´t even connect it to the external monitor.

The status lights look like this= (power light)/first light turns on normally in white, (hard drive light) second light stays off, (powe adapter light) third light turns normally too in white. Nothing on screen! It won´t turn on.

This laptop is about 4 years old and I have never replaced the battery. Could it be that the battery died? Can I just buy a new battery? or is it the hard drive?

Does anyone knows what could be the problem?

thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:    1pinkcoco

Have you tried removing the battery and only using the AC adapter.

Do you hear the notebooks cooling fan working or get anything showing on the screen at any time, a failed hard drive would not prevent you from seeing the Dell splash screen or being able to access the BIOS.

1pinkcoco

1pinkcoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes, i tried that several times. I don´t get anything on the screen, but I can hear the fans. Barely hear them.

1pinkcoco

1pinkcoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

So if I can hear the fans, does this mean it could be the battery rather than the hard drive?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

As you get no error beeps, nothing on the screen but can hear the cooling fan you know that there is some power present but none getting to the hard drive, this does not look good for your MB I`m afraid.

A starting point for a tech or a suitably qualified person would be to remove the Ram to see if the behaviour changed and if not then to remove the hard drive.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

1pinkcoco

1pinkcoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

How hard is it to remove the RAM? Can I try this my own using a tutorial video? Or should I take it for rapair? Thanks for the tip.... Do you think I should buy a new REM and replace it?

Edited by 1pinkcoco, 08 June 2014 - 01:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

At present I would not purchase anything, start with removing the Ram if you are confident as it is relatively straight forward on most modern notebooks, once you have removed the Ram, replace the battery and press the power button, let us know if there is any change in the behaviour such as error beeps etc.

72703.jpg

The required tools for upgrading a notebook computer’s memory are a Phillips head screwdriver (a small one), a clean towel and a well-lit area.

First we’ll take some safety precautions.

• Unplug the notebook
  • Place the notebook on the towel so it doesn’t get scratched
  • Remove the notebook’s battery (this may not be possible with all notebooks)
  • Hold down the notebook’s on/off power button for 10 seconds to drain any excess electricity

Most notebooks will have a process similar to what’s illustrated below.

Memory is generally considered a user-serviceable component; the access panel should be located on the bottom of the notebook. The HP EliteBook 8740w I’m using as an example has an access panel specific to RAM; take out the one screw, gently pop the cover and behold the RAM modules:

72705.jpg72707.jpg

To remove a module, use your thumbs and gently push the white tabs on either side outward; the module will “pop” upward (pictured below, left).

Using your thumb and index finger, grasp the module and gently pull; be sure to pull it straight out in the direction it’s aimed (pictured below, right).

72711.jpg72709.jpg

Once the module is out, be careful to avoid touching the gold metal pins at the bottom; oils from your fingertips can impede or damage the module’s performance.

Note: your notebook may have more than one RAM module installed; if you intend on replacing all of them, it’s best to remove all the modules at the same time.

Installing a memory module is the opposite. Pay special attention to the notch in between the module’s gold pins; the module will fit into the slot exactly one way. Once you have the module lined up, apply a small amount of pressure and push the module into the slot. When the module goes no further, reorient your finger and push the module sideways so the white tabs catch its edges and it snaps into place. It may require slightly more pressure than you’re use to for this to happen.

Once it’s installed, close the access panel.

1pinkcoco

1pinkcoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will try this thanks for the detailed instructions...I will let you know

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:thumbsup:

1pinkcoco

1pinkcoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I tried it, my laptop stills the same. I noticed two little scratches on the gold metal pins...Could it be that the RAM is damaged?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If you got no error beeps when turning on the power with the Ram removed it suggests that your MB has failed, this based on the fact that your notebook normally emits a single beep when it successfully boots into Windows, the single beep is the BIOS letting you know that the computer has passed the POST (power on self test) if the notebook had emitted error beeps with the Ram removed it would have suggested that the Ram was ok and that the problem was with another hardware item, the GPU is the next item tested and it is often found to be bad if the Ram is ok.

To summarise, the problem is before the Ram is tested as part of POST so it is power or MB related, the issue is the same with both the battery and the AC adapter when used, this unfortunately points towards the MB having failed, a common fault with the MB used in the M1050 it would appear, this angry chap here had two bad MBs in 12 months.

Is the DC power jack port on the notebook secure as in no movement in any way.