Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FBI MoneyPak Virus warning screen [Solved]

virus laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

I have an HP Pavillion 14 Chromebook that isn't supposed to get viruses. But all of a sudden, I got this screen:

The latest FBI MoneyPak Virus warning screen – [email protected]

new-fbi-greendot-moneypak-virus.jpg

FBI warning moneypak Screen – Fake FBI warning virus removal is urgent

There are directions online on how to remove this from a PC but what about an HP Pavillion Chromebook? I rebooted several times and my browser still was locked with this thing. But after about the 6th reboot, it seems to have gone away. How can I be sure it's gone? My laptop seems to be back to working, but I want to make sure this thing is gone.

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Howdy there Feverpitch, wavey.gif.pagespeed.ce.4AQn4GwL8t.gif Welcome to the forums!
welcome.gif.pagespeed.ce.jM2aDq5TfO.gif. My name is Biscuithd and I will be assisting you with your Computer issues.

I know how upsetting it can be when one's computer is experiencing problems. I will try to help get things squared away. For a start please make sure that you...

• Carefully read every post completely before doing anything.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • Do not run any other scans or other software on your computer unless asked as it may make this repair more difficult.

Ok, let's get started. In order to figure out what is wrong with your computer.

Keep in mind the FBI MoneyPack infection is not gone, just quiet for the moment. Let's try an OTL scan. If that doesn't work, I have other ideas.

Download 'OTL by OldTimer' and save it to your desktop or move your existing copy into the said location.

• Simply double-click the program icon to run it. It will ask for administrator privileges.

SNBlQhy.png.pagespeed.ce.2gZp1nIL3G.png
  • Copy and paste the following into the Custom Scans/Fixes box:
netsvcs

BASESERVICES

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe

c:\program files (x86)\Google\Desktop

c:\program files\Google\Desktop

dir "%systemdrive%\*" /S /A:L /C

/md5start

rpcss.dll

/md5stop

CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click Run Scan.
  • Files are being searched and it may take some time. Once done, two Notepad windows will appear, named OTL.txt and Extras.txt.
  • Alternatively, you can also find these at your desktop.
  • Copy and paste (CTRL + A and CTRL + C) the content of these logs in your next reply.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Apologies! I did not read your initial posting correctly. I now realize that you have a Chromebook. I am not an expert by any means on the Chromebook, but my research tells me that there are two possible solutions to your issue. I'l clipped them and placed them below. My advice is, if the Powerwash doesn't work, seek advice on the Google Android portion of our site before you reinstall; unless you are completely backed up.

First: Try the Powerwash.

> Open Chrome and click on the three bars in the upper right hand corner.

> Click on Settings > Advance Settings > Look for Factory Reset section > click Reset and then Restart your Chromebook.

If the first method does not resolve the trouble, then examine the second method:

Second: Reinstalling Chrome OS.

You may need a flash drive with at least 8GB of space.

> On the Chrome browser type chrome://imageburner > Press Run and follow the prompts, then it will warn you of losing all data on the USB Flash drive.

> After thirty minutes, reboot the Chromebook.

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Apologies! I did not read your initial posting correctly. I now realize that you have a Chromebook. I am not an expert by any means on the Chromebook, but my research tells me that there are two possible solutions to your issue. I'l clipped them and placed them below. My advice is, if the Powerwash doesn't work, seek advice on the Google Android portion of our site before you reinstall; unless you are completely backed up.

First: Try the Powerwash.

> Open Chrome and click on the three bars in the upper right hand corner.

> Click on Settings > Advance Settings > Look for Factory Reset section > click Reset and then Restart your Chromebook.

If the first method does not resolve the trouble, then examine the second method:

Second: Reinstalling Chrome OS.

You may need a flash drive with at least 8GB of space.

> On the Chrome browser type chrome://imageburner > Press Run and follow the prompts, then it will warn you of losing all data on the USB Flash drive.

> After thirty minutes, reboot the Chromebook.

Thank you.

While the first reply was good for a desktop, I only had this problem on my Google Chromebook, so I'm glad you followed up.

When I powered up to do the Powerwash, the virus was still no longer blocking my network. I followed the Powerwash instructions and everything is reset. I assume that the reset took me back to the very beginning when I first bought the laptop in November. Anyway, I thank you. I believe that nasty virus is gone from my Chromebook. I will keep these instructions in case another virus shows up on the Chromebook (funny, it's not supposed to get viruses of any kind), and I'll save the other instructions in case it ever shows up on my desktop.

On my desktop, I have Avast, which runs every day automatically, and Malwarebytes, which I run every few weeks. I also have C Cleaner, which I love. Anything else you recommend?

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Hi FeverPitch,

Glad that my suggestion for the Powerbook worked :)

What you are doing on you Desktop is my preferred setup, so really nothing additional that I can think of.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Anything else I can do for you or should I close this topic?

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

On my desktop, I have Avast, which runs every day automatically, and Malwarebytes, which I run every few weeks. I also have C Cleaner, which I love to use. Anything else you recommend or does that cover the free desktop protection programs I need?

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

As I mentioned on #6, what you are doing is what I do. There is nothing else I'd do unless I suspected trouble. If you suspect trouble, then scan with OTL and post a topic on here and we'll help you out. :)

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Thanks so much. I'm on my laptop now and things are good. You may close this topic.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

You are quite welcome! Very glad to help :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.