Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to decrapify after building first PC?

• Please log in to reply

zorra

zorra

• Pip
  • 7 posts
http://pcpartpicker....ra/saved/V7bkcf

Thanks again to phillpower2 for all of his generous help. I might be posting this in the wrong section, I apologize. I read something about one of my hardware parts/devices having some task/process during startup that I could disable to shave off a little bit of startup time. I can't remember what it was!

Any advice on that or anything else I can do to decrapify my new Windows 8.1 build would be extremely appreciated.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Zorra.

I haver used Revo Uninstaller for years, without any ill effects.   Create your own manual restore point before each uninstall as although Revo does one, it just says "Revo" with no other info.   I select the 3rd radio button for uninstalling, When you get a tree view list, always expend every + sign and only tick item that are listed in BOLD.

There are other tools, including a very useful startup manager. 

I do not recommend CCCleaner or programs that modify system files to optimize the computer. 

From PC "This is a good time to kill anything you don't want that's part of Windows 8 itself. Load up the control panel called Uninstall a Program (search for it from the Start screen). On the left, click "Turn Windows Features on or off." You'll get a User Account Control warning; click OK. Uncheck anything in the list you definitely don't want, such as games, Tablet PC Optional Components, etc. If you don't know what an item does, hover the cursor over the name for a description. If you still don't know what it does, best to leave it."

Please read the whole page, download from the Major Geeks link. > http://www.majorgeek...ninstaller.html