Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I determine where to begin?

• Please log in to reply

lemaybob

lemaybob

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have run several scans ... AVG, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and CCleaner 

I am running a Dell Laptop PP32LB with Windows7Pro ... and almost EVERY time after running for about 1/2 hour to an hour the computer locks up ... sort of ... I can move the cursor around, but can't use any programs nor can I shut them down in any way. 

Simply put, I'm not sure what's going on or where to begin to work on this laptop ... can someone point me in the right direction please?

bob

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Welcome to GeeksToGo.

Let's see what starts when you boot your computer.

Download and run Startup List (does not need to be installed, just run it).
When done, click File then Save as and save Startuplist.txt to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it.
Start a reply here and paste the contents of Startuplist.txt into it.

lemaybob

lemaybob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thanks for jumping in to help ... 

after running all those scans I ran,it no longer seems to lock up anymore ... but it is VERY sluggish. this could be the age

of the laptop though 

I have been trying for 3 hours on 2 different laptops to upload the results and have NOT been successful ... not sure now what is going on that would affect BOTH laptops ... I will try it one more time on this second one and then try it on my friend's laptop.

bob

lemaybob

lemaybob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have now tried 7 times on 3 different laptops and can NOT get that file uploaded ... can I add it as a file? Just in case, I will.

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

A couple things I notice.

There are 4 instances of Google chrome.exe running. Do you use chrome as your normal browser? If not, try uninstalling it for awhile.
You have several toolbars that are not needed, especially Google toolbar, uninstall it. You could also get rid of Bing bar.
What about HughesNetStatusMeter? Do you use/need it?

It looks like you have AVG and Trend Micro both installed and active. If so, pick one. I'd recommend uninstalling AVG and going with Trend Micro or uninstall both and go with Avast.

If you still have problems, how does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7
Advanced startup options - Windows 8

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Also, download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

You can also use a Flash drive instead of a CD.

Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*.
Unzip and run Memtest86+ USB Installer.exe.
It will format the flash drive if you tell it to. I used a small, 16MB flash drive and it had 8.5GB left when done.

Boot the CD or Flash drive and run Memtest86+ for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

lemaybob

lemaybob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have uninstalled chrome ... I will use IE as my normal browser ... at least for now. I have gotten rid of google toolbar and the bing bar 

I DO use the HughesNetStatusMeter ... part of the BAD part of living so far out in the sticks

I have uninstalled AVG for now. 

After this it seems to be working a lot better ... I THINK that perhaps all is now well. 

Do you think I NEED to go further with the msconfig stuff"?

bob

A couple things I notice.

There are 4 instances of Google chrome.exe running. Do you use chrome as your normal browser? If not, try uninstalling it for awhile.
You have several toolbars that are not needed, especially Google toolbar, uninstall it. You could also get rid of Bing bar.
What about HughesNetStatusMeter? Do you use/need it?

It looks like you have AVG and Trend Micro both installed and active. If so, pick one. I'd recommend uninstalling AVG and going with Trend Micro or uninstall both and go with Avast.

If you still have problems, how does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7
Advanced startup options - Windows 8

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No, if things are better, hold off and see how it runs for awhile. You can always do teh msconfig stuff later if needed.

lemaybob

lemaybob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I ran the Memtest program you suggested for at least 6 passes and no errors were found ... so ... are we good? :)

bob

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Yes, all looks good.