Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formatting

• Please log in to reply

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
i only recently installed linux mint on new 500gb hdd, well i really want to put windows on it now and have not been able to figure out how to format from linux to ntfs... if anyone can help it would be great oh and btw i am not pc literate

Edited by carolmarie4555, 09 June 2014 - 05:44 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

There are several ways that you can do it.

One is to download the program DBAN:

http://www.dban.org/download

and wipe out the disk.

Another way is to boot Linux and then run the program "qtparted" and delete the partition table.

Booting the Windoze install CD should also wipe out the filesystem and create the filesystem.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

There are several ways that you can do it.

One is to download the program DBAN:

http://www.dban.org/download

and wipe out the disk.

Another way is to boot Linux and then run the program "qtparted" and delete the partition table.

Booting the Windoze install CD should also wipe out the filesystem and create the filesystem.

From what someone told me (someone who's very experienced in the domain), using DBAN isn't recommended for a simple format as it's process puts the HDD under a heavy stress that could damage it or even reduce it's lifespan, is that right ?

Also, carol like Kemasa said, you can format your partition to NTFS during the Windows installation. Just select the partition you want to install Windows on, click on "Advanced Options" and then select "Format". Wait for the format to be complete the pursue the installation. Alternatively, you can always format that partition during the Windows installation using the Diskpart utility that you can call via the command prompt (F8).

Tell me which solution you prefer and if needed I'll give you more information on it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Depending on which DBAN option you use, it does constantly use the hard drive for quite some time. There are some quick wipes.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Depending on which DBAN option you use, it does constantly use the hard drive for quite some time. There are some quick wipes.

Alright that makes sense then, thank you. I personally recommend DBAN with the heaviest option when someone wants to totally wipe a HDD or SSD and then trash it after, to be sure that no data can be recovered from it after. When someone wants to install Windows, I always recommend them to do that process via the Windows 7 installation. It's easy, save time and you just have to equip yourself of a Windows 7 installation media and you're good to go, nothing else.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If the Windoze install works, then that is the best way to go, but sometimes it is possible for the install to get confused by the existing partitions, at which point wiping out the partition table can make it easier.

DBAN is a good tool to wipe the disk before getting rid of it, but there are also other uses.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

If the Windoze install works, then that is the best way to go, but sometimes it is possible for the install to get confused by the existing partitions, at which point wiping out the partition table can make it easier.

DBAN is a good tool to wipe the disk before getting rid of it, but there are also other uses.

I like the way you say "Windoze" :P

Then I guess I could recommend DBAN but warn the user to just use a minimal/standard format operation with it on the partition (or the whole HDD) to make sure that it doesn't put it under heavy useless stress. There's also GParted that I recommend in these situations. They have a Live CD version of it and it works quite well. Also if Windows have difficulty recognizing partitions during the installation, you can still press F8 to get the command prompt, launch the diskpart utility and work from there no ? But this is if you know how to use diskpart to format a drive or partition, format a partition, etc.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Yes, there are many options. Some easier to explain than others.

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

you are all awesome thank you for all your help and information...

virtualtechie18

virtualtechie18

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thank you for the information guys.