Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware check requested [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Maybe it did - I hope so. :)

I think something wasn't right with all those Java entries in Add/Remove programs (six). I did try to investigate that before, I run a scan on the Java site to search for and remove old versions, but it said there weren't any. Each of the entries was about 99 - 120MB?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Well I'm none the wiser as of yet about Microsoft Updates.

I turned Automatic Updates on for some time and then set for a scheduled time.

wuauclt.exe run for about 20 minutes the second time, sounded to me like it was installing, but when I looked in Windows Updates / Add/Remove programs and Microsoft Updates History afterwards there were no new updates listed, not even the recent critical Internet Explorer one. No entries to note in Event Viewer either. I carried out a Custom Install scan, exactly the same results as before.

Should all Microsoft Updates appear in Add/Remove programs?

Really don't like that I don't know for sure what updates are on my computer.

What are your thoughts on what I said about Java please?

UPDATE BELOW!

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 09:01 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

!!!

I run Microsoft Fix it

http://support.micro...te-issues/en-gb >>>>>>>>

Windows Update Publisher details
Issues found Fixed
Repair missing or corrupt files
Succeeded
Fixed
Resetting Windows Update data store
Succeeded
Fixed
Repair Windows Update
Succeeded
Issues checked Checked
Checked
Checked
Checked
Checked
Checked
Issues found Detection details
Check for missing or corrupt files Fixed

Windows Update error 0x80070057(2014-06-13-T-03_14_17A) Fixed

Problems installing recent updates Fixed

Issues checked Detection details
Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Checked

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Checked

Service registration is missing or corrupt Checked

Corrupt Patch Registry keys Checked
Detects corrupt or missing patch cache

Windows Update services are not running Checked

Cryptographic service components are not registered Checked

Detection details
Publisher details

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 08:58 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

It's not made any difference!

Can't believe this.

Nothing happened, same as before, not even the recent critical update - as far as I am aware? Unless updates are being installed without notification.

Custom Scan afterwards:

arrow.gif Review and install updates Total:  1 updates , 504 KB , less than 1 minute

High-priority updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Download size: 504 KB , less than 1 minute
This update is intended to notify customers of the Windows XP End of Support date, April 8th 2014.  Details...

Don't show this update again
Optional software updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Download size: 23.1 MB , 5 minutes
The .NET Framework is a component of the Windows operating system. For developers, the .NET Framework makes it easy to rapidly create powerful software that maximizes performance, scalability, opportunities for integration, reliability, security, and the end-user experience, while minimizing the costs of deployment and management. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...

Don't show this update again

Now being offered an outdated: Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 again

I think I'll have to abandon this. Even if I / a technician carried out a fresh installation, still wouldn't be able to get any updates for XP SP3 from Microsoft Updates.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 05:11 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

JavaRa will remove all the old Java files etc..  http://singularlabs....oftware/javara/

With regards to updates MS is not very forthcoming about whether old updates are still available, I have a feeling they may have pulled them to force users to upgrade

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Great, thank you for the Java remover. :)

Did that sound like more than one version on my computer, is it normal to have more than one Java entry in Add/Remove programs?

"With regards to updates MS is not very forthcoming about whether old updates are still available, I have a feeling they may have pulled them to force users to upgrade"

It seems they have pulled them for the very reason you mentioned no doubt. I was living in hope though. :) However, I should be able to at least get the recent May 2014 critical Internet Explorer update, which Microsoft made an exception to and rolled out to XP SP3 users.......it's all very odd.

Would that definitely show in Add/Remove programs if I had it, do all Microsoft Updates show there?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 06:09 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK I have found the standalone download for that here http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=42591

Download the KB to your desktop and then run

As for Java it is well known for failing to uninstall older versions, hence the number of hacks that it experiences  

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the link. I actually have Internet Explorer 8, it says Internet Explorer 6?

I'm wondering if Microsoft Fix it has not totally fixed it because that update should have been installed automatically. If it has been, I can't find any record of it anywhere.

I have seen this:

"After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system."

http://www.microsoft...of-support.aspx

It is unfortunate that I didn't find out before April 8th that my Windows Updates were not working.

Due to the Windows Updates error and apparent "missing or corrupt files" I really have no idea what updates are actually on my computer.

25 Java files removed - appreciated the info. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 11:12 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Haven't yet got my VM up and running to try the unofficial SP4, I am hoping to get time to do that tomorrow

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OOps IE8 http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=42588

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Re: "the unofficial SP4"

For several reasons I'd like to think about that please.

I realise my computer is vulnerable without the updates / with XP. I may have to consider trying Avast anti-virus again.

There's been a number of positive changes to my computer so I am grateful to you all for that - I can now run CCleaner without a BSOD occurring, did again today. :)

Still want to get to the bottom of the SFC errors in Event Viewer, although may not be able to.

I was never really sure what Java was for, the PCWorld technician installed it to begin with.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 02:23 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The SFC errors can be unimportant if they reference ini files as they will always fail SFC

I believe it is going to rain tomorrow so I should be able to get my VM up and running :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Re: "the unofficial SP4" - For several reasons I'd like to think about that please.

Sorry I meant I'm not sure at the moment. I do appreciate your help though.

"The SFC errors can be unimportant if they reference ini files as they will always fail SFC"

Oh ok thank you. I don't know whether they referred to ini files or not, will kook again.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, I am sure I will come across something similar. Many people will want to stay with XP for various reasons so it will be handy to know :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Yes I think many people will go on using XP.

They were all system files - "The system file ........ could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability" - about 90 of them.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 13 June 2014 - 04:20 PM.