Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware check requested [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that explains the error and the tool to fix that is only available for windows 7 on unfortunately (dism.exe)

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok

Don't understand why Microsoft would make software that generates an error code and then not produce an article that explains what that error code means and what to do about it (specifically for SFC)..... ?

Just uninstalled Immunet, about to install Avast......then I read this:

November 17, 2013  |   By indy_b

Version: Avast Internet Security 2014 2014.9.0.2006

Cons

Destroys an XP computer utterly. Hangs during install, then the system goes into BSOD and won't boot. Had to take my dad through XP Safe Mode to Restore Last Good Configuration. Which worked OK. Luckily.

Summary

DO NOT INSTALL. DO NOT INSTALL. Repeat DO NOT INSTALL.

October 26, 2013  |   By conansings

Version: Avast Internet Security 2014 2014.9.0.2006

Cons

Messes up Windows XP

Summary

I was very impressed at first but I ended up having to re-install Windows XP - twise! I will never again pay for products from this company.

http://download.cnet...4-13381547.html

:headscratch:

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That has occurred on a few machines although the percentage is relatively small. However, XP is vastly different in file structure and type than later windows versions so trying to get a programme that will run on all flavours without error is a bit daunting. Myself I have never had any problems with Avast and XP. Just about to install XP and try the SP, I will also add Avast :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

:) Okay

It must be difficult to make an anti-virus / internet security suite that suits all different versions of Windows.

I used Avast anti-virus for a long time in the past, I was very happy with it, then I had problems with a new program, multiple BSODs (Avast driver related), but Avast later advised that there had been a number of BSOD problems with this program, which they had recified.

So although I know I need a stronger anti-virus I'm a little apprehensive.

Just looked again at that, it's Internet Security and apparently a newer version is available, I want Avast Anti-Virus.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 09:11 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK give me an hour as XP is nearly installed, I will add the SP4 and then Avast and let you know the outcome :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you very much :)

As well as Avast and XP there's my older computer as well!

Should Windows Defender be enabled, mine isn't?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
An older computer :rofl:

Had a slight hiccup I forgot my XP disc was SP1 so I had to then install SP2 before I could even attempt anything else. Avast installed with no problem

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Why are you laughing at: my older computer? Well I don't know how else to describe it, to me it's not old, but in the computing world it is.

:laughing:

Oh good, I will try to install Avast Anti-Virus direct from the Avast site and come back to you.

You've got some great emoticons here, didn't realise how many you had......looking through them now.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 10:50 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
These are direct links for Avast

Download the correct version of Avast
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Installing SP4 now

[attachment=71056:Capture.JPG]

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ahh you're so good!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Ahh you're so good!

Ahh I prefer Smooth, sauve, debonair and sophisticated :rofl:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK it took 35 minutes to install, prior to installing it I was unable to get updates to work.. However, on completion I got this

[attachment=71057:Capture.JPG]

Just installing those now, then I will give a few hours testing the beast to ensure all is OK

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Hey Mr smooth, sauve, debonair and sophisticated - ! BSOD after it had completely installed, usual error code 0xc000021a, no mini dump produced (as is usually the case, but not always with this error code).........and in Event Viewer "The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error 0xc0000001 while processing the file on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume."

?

In Event Viewer XP "Hotfix" installed today - KB2934207 - XP End of Support death threat being called a Hotfix?

What you got on screen looks good.

Shall I uninstall Avast - nervous now?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 12:31 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Was the BSOD after the reboot ? I.e. did the computer reboot normally with no errors

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

There seems to be something not right, something unstable on my computer causing 0xc000021a BSOD.

Avast set up a System Restore point probably related to that entry in Event Viewer.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.