Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware check requested [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"To me it appears that the Yahoo main page is being misreported to IE"

That sounds plausible.

Internet Options won't open!

I've clicked and clicked again on it. Others listed in Control Panel are opening?

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

See post above

Update: My default browser is Firefox, I use Internet Explorer occasionally.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 18 June 2014 - 03:43 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

It seems to me that the 'fix' has disabled both the Internet Explorer browser and Internet Options, but Microsoft didn't say that would happen?

2 messages above.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Just seen this further down the article:

Do I need to install the last cumulative security update for Internet Explorer? 
Yes. This security update, MS14-021, is not a cumulative security update. Customers who have not installed the latest cumulative security update for Internet Explorer are likely to experience compatibility issues, such as Internet Explorer may intermittently stop responding, after installing the MS14-021 update.

Note that the order of installation does matter. To avoid compatibility issues, the MS14-021 security update must be installed after installing the latest cumulative security update for Internet Explorer.

Refer to the following table for details:

Version of Internet Explorer

Latest cumulative update that must be applied prior to installing the MS14-021 update

Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, and Internet Explorer 9 on all supported releases of Microsoft Windows

MS14-018

Well I am missing a number of updates due to a Windows Updates issue as you know and it now seems MS14-018 should have been applied beforehand.......didn't see that, a warning beside the download would have been better.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 19 June 2014 - 07:35 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
At this stage I would be tempted to say make an image of your disc (I can provide free software for that) and then install SP4

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Very kind of you to offer me that software, thank you. Backing up is something I should think about.

I know Microsoft Updates are important, but after what happened when I installed SP3 and now this, currently my biggest fear is what they might do to my computer.

According to that article update MS14-018 must be installed before the one I installed - it wasn't.

I would now be installing it afterwards - so the update I have just installed is not right and ideally needs to be uninstalled I would think (it does have a 'remove' option)? Trouble is what will uninstalling it do - it might correct the issues, but what is the worst that could happen and could it affect more than just Internet Explorer? I'm thinking of going directly to Microsoft (Support) who produced it to ask.

I think Microsoft need to put a warning beside the download button for the May 1st 2014 Internet Explorer critical update, after all not many people read all the way through a long article like that.

Before I purchased the XP SP3 CD I purchased a XP SP2 one (I didn't know that it was only SP2 beforehand and that I needed SP3 for SFC). I purchased the XP SP3 one because I didn't want to have to make a slipstream CD.

I have been thinking about carrying out a repair installation at some point, that would remove the update wouldn't it?

If you guys were beside me I wouldn't feel fearful, it's the thought of being left without a working computer and subsequently not being able to easily get in touch with you.

Sorry that was a bit long winded but I wanted to give my reasons. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 19 June 2014 - 11:15 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not a problem at all :)

We do have a repair guide here http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/ this will revert the windows files to SP3 level without any updates

The imaging programme I use is Macrium reflect free http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx
Have a look at it. I had a reason to use it a few weeks back and the image was restored in just under 15 minutes :)

Again any questions about it then just ask

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

The repair guide was just what I needed, thank you for all the info. I don't intend to carry out a repair installation right now, but I am considering it for the future.......when I've plucked up courage. :)

Re: Backing up / Macrium reflect free - I would need an external hard drive preferably for this wouldn't I? Think this might be too advanced for me.

Re: The offending update, if this were your computer would you uninstall it? Don't know what to do. Haven't been able to talk to anyone at Microsoft.

Avast Antivirus still installed, no problems, all running well......XP / the older computer seem to be getting on well with it. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 20 June 2014 - 08:04 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Yes I would uninstall the update, although I have been unable to find the other update download location :yet : 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok :)

It's here I believe: https://technet.micr...curity/ms14-018

Seems I am not alone:

"We are having issues after installing patch KB2965111 on Windows 7 x64. IE9 crashes immediately (and consistently) after opening, but loads the "downloads" window, downloading the homepage main html file. Any application that uses the WebBrowser control crashes with the error "The ordinal 573 could not be located in the Dynamic Link Library iertutil.dll". 

Uninstalling this update fixes the issue - but we're trying to secure several thousand machines, and need to deploy this patch."

http://social.techne...85-7f7d4c558b45

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Looks the same to I, I am still trying to locate a download copy for the pre-requisite KB, MS are hiding them  ...deep

I will try to find a copy of it

Meanwhile uninstall that update

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Uninstalled the update.

"Stopping service

Restoring catalogues

Restoring processes

Updating registry"

Back to normal - Internet Explorer working, Internet Options opens.

This computer will be the death of me - the worry it causes me!

Appreciate your help. :)

In one of the tables underneath the heading of: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-018 - Critical (link above), I looked for XP SP3 / Internet Explorer 8 then clicked on it.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=42436

Is there more than one other needed - more than two total for this?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 20 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

That's the one :)  You are getting to be a better searcher than I, it is a different KB number. However, that replaces  KB2950467 which is what I was looking for

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"You are getting to be a better searcher than I"

Ahhh but you are so much better than I at everything else (computer related). :)

It's all this practice I am having. My life revolves around my computer at present!

I am trying to get information directly from Microsoft......will report back.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 21 June 2014 - 06:52 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK :)