Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC controller acts on its own

controller buttons random

• Please log in to reply

mispin

mispin

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello,

I've bought a new pc controller for playing games, but I was unable to use it. It presses keys randomly by itself, even when you don't touch them at all; this is visible to me also when I test the controller in the control panel.
I'm using windows 7 and the drivers were automatically and successfully installed with no problems whatsoever.
I've tried connecting it to all three of my usb ports, obtaining the same results.
My biggest concern is that the controller works flawlessly on other computers, and acts up only on mine. It is therefore, not cause by the controller hardware. I can't seem to find either any other case on the internet in which something like this happened or a way to solve it. I'm begging for help.

Thank you in advance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   mispin

Can I ask what the brand and model name or number details are for the controller and what drivers were installed for it.

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you, glad to be here  :laughing: 

The controller is the ''Trust Dual Stick Gamepad GXT 28''.
The drivers were downloaded and installed automatically when I connected the controller.
In the settings, though, it says ''driver provider: Microsoft'', ''driver data: 21/06/2006'' ''driver version: 6.1.7601.18199'', I don't know if that's any help though.

In the meanwhile I've tried disabling the antivirus shield that checks on files all the time. I'm trying lots of things, and one of the things I've thought is that maybe some other process on a software level is interfering with the gamepad somehow. Strangely enough, it has improved the situation; the controller acts up less, but it still does. As antivirus I'm using Bitdefender free edition, together with Malwarebytes anti-malware.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Try uninstalling the present drivers then restarting the computer in Safe Mode and allowing Windows to reinstall the drivers, try the controller in Safe Mode then reboot the computer as you would normally and test.

When you start in Safe Mode only the bare amount of Windows drivers are installed and this helps to avoid driver conflicts when installing new devices.

Good idea to check the AV software, if installing the drivers in Safe Mode does not help we should take a look at other drivers that are installed and trying an alternative AV software such as Avast or MSE (both free but very good).

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I've tried using the controller in safe mode, but the same problem occurs  :no: 
I don't think it happens because of the antivirus, since it occurs also in safe mode and in normal mode when I deactivate the antivirus (I also like Bitdefender too much to give it up :prop: ). One thing I noticed, even in safe mode, is that when testing the controller in the control panel, sometimes the commands freeze or stop working, as if something is loading. I think the best way would be to find out what's conflicting with it, but I don't know how to do that.
I've also noticed that when I connect the controller after rebooting the computer, it installs the drivers again. It also installs the drivers again when I use a different USB port.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Run DriverView, save the results in Text Format and then paste them into your next reply, DriverView here, no download required.

Trying an alternative AV as a temporary measure is the only way to rule it/Bitdefender out as being the cause of the issue.

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I uploaded the html file generated by drivers view here, the text file wasn't readable.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 June 2014 - 10:18 AM.
Link removed for foistware.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

That was hard work getting through that lot  :blink:

Nothing of note there but I would get rid of the Iobit software that you have, it is at best a gimmick and at worst harmful to you system and it`s performance.

Couple of questions, what happens if you remove your mouse and keyboard etc, is the issue the same, what AV is running on the other computers that you tried,

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you for your hard work, you're very kind and I appreciate it  :yes: 
I've uninstalled the Iobit software as you suggested, I didn't really use it anyway.
I'm using a laptop, so I can't remove the keyboard :D . I do use a spare usb keyboard sometimes, because a couple keys on the laptop keyboard aren't working anymore due to wear. I also use a usb mouse. I've tried removing them but nothing changed. Both the mouse and the keyboard have never given me problems, that's why I was so surprised about the controller not working.
I've tried the controller on two other computers: the laptop of a housemate who has windows essentials installed on it and a notebook in the shop where I bought the controller (I tried having the controller replaced because initially, it seemed to me to be a hardware malfunction), I don't know if that notebook was using an antivirus or not though.

Edited by mispin, 11 June 2014 - 10:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Seeing the keyboard and mouse drivers threw me off track  :unsure: 

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X marks, the chipset, HID devices and game controllers in particular.

Can you post the full brand and model name or number of the notebook for us, we may need to change tack on this as the issue could be with your USB ports, this based on the fact that the issue is present in Safe Mode when no third party drivers are installed, you can check for updated drivers for the device from DriverMax first though;

Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are suggested, let us know before installing anything.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

Trust troubleshooting steps here

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I've checked the device manager, but there's no marks whatsoever, except for ''bluetooth device'', but that's always been there as far as I remember, it probably refers to mobile phone that I've connected to the pc though bluetooth, but that now are not connected and therefore generating a warning. I might be mistaken, but I don't think it can have much to with the usb controller.

The only step I haven't tried from the Trust troubleshooting is the 8th.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6 - 1323el

Here's more information http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01959152

I've run Drivermax and these are the results I got. Which ones shall I update?

2ivobbt.png

Edited by mispin, 11 June 2014 - 11:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Create a new restore point and then update the SMBus Controller and the Enhanced Host USB2 drivers and see how it goes.

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I've bought the pro version of the program and updated almost everything ''input'' and ''usb'' related, unfortunately nothing happened.
Actually, before I installed the software, the gamepad stopped being recognized by the pc all of a sudden, no idea why. I thought it was only temporary but it wasn't.

I rebooted my pc, installed drivermax, updated the drivers, rebooted the pc again, but the controller is still not identified by the pc.
Right now I'm making a deep scan of the computer, maybe it's a virus of some sort, and uninstalling unnecessary programs that might clog the OS operability. At this point it's the only measure I can think of taking, and I'm starting to lose my patience  :smashcomp:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Going offline shortly as it is getting late here, can you download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us to check in the morning, details here

Are other devices still working ok in your USB ports.

mispin

mispin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

The other usb devices are still working flawlessly. I neved had any problem with peripherals before buying this controller anyway.

I downloaded speccy, here you can find the information:
http://speccy.pirifo...nOGaZmrCySW7gMK

As you can see, some information is in italian even though I downloaded the english version of speccy, because my windows 7 is in Italian. It's probably not relevant information, and you can get the gist of it with google translate, but if you need the translation of some parts in particular just let me know and I'll do it.
Another unfortunate thing is that even in speccy the gamepad doesn't seem to be listed in the peripherals, as the laptop isn't recognizing it. I also noticed that the leds on the gamepad emit light when I press certain buttons, even though the laptop doesn't register its presence. I guess it means the gamepad is sending a signal, but the laptop is ignoring it.

I also want to thank you again for your precious help  :laughing: 

Edited by mispin, 11 June 2014 - 05:41 PM.