Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with windows XP

• Please log in to reply

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Hi,

I am brand new to this forum. I am a Mac user. I just acquired a dell dimension 8300 desktop.

What I am trying to do is update stuff. I have used superspyantispyware most recently. seems to be a good program. It got rid of alot of stuff but not the popups I mention below or the sound.

Before that I was messing with driver updates etc. with what is on the computer and then looking around the net for free anit virus stuff driver updates. I know that support for windows XP ended but got a link from an online chat window at Dell to use and hopefully help me fix some stuff.

Right now there is nothing installed for virus protection. Is there a free Anti Virus and/or Malware program that I can install?

Anyway, it was working fine. Then the audio stopped  there are external speakers hooked up. And then the bad image popups - lots of them. Maybe it was the other way around. I don't remember which came first.

So, right now I am online and found this forum. And I figure that I probably screwed up by messing around with stuff but I'm here and it's working to do this.

One thing - when I go to control panel and go to the Sound and Audio Device Properties, I see that the 'Volume' tab is grey so I cannot click on anything. So I cannot change the volume at all. The other tabs I can, but I don't know what they do really.

Like I said, I am a Mac person and this is all new to me. And O yeah, I cannot upgrade the OS, so I would like to just get this running smoothly and have it for back up.  And I do not have the Install CD.

So what I need I guess is to get antivirus installed, get rid of the darn popups and have the sound back.

Can someone please help me.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello itsmesunny and welcome to GeeksToGo :)

These pop-ups looks like Adwares to me according to the way you talk of them but they could also be legitimate Windows XP pop-ups as I remember it being very good on that. Before I recommend you to go get checked by a Geek in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section, can I just ask you what are the pop-ups about ? What to they contain, advertise, advice, etc. ? If you actually think that you are infected, you can always request help in the section I previously linked. Just be sure to follow the instructions in this thread in order to get started.

I'll be online for a few and hopefully hear back from you soon !

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Hi!

thanks for getting back to me.

There are a bunch. They all end with the same thing I think. Here is an example.

rundII32.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL:PROGRA~1\SupTab\SEARCH~1DLL is not a valid windows image.Please check this against your installation diskette.

Each one has a name and after it is "...32.exe - Bad image"

Here are a few:

services

Isass

user init

Explorer

jusched

vprot

ctfmon

and there aqre more...

Edited by itsmesunny, 13 June 2014 - 12:27 PM.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hi :)

Please go to Malware Removal Forum and read the instructions here. Post a new topic there ans one of us will surely help you :thumbsup:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hi!

thanks for getting back to me.

There are a bunch. They all start with the same thing I think. Here is an example.

rundII32.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL:PROGRA~1\SupTab\SEARCH~1DLL is not a valid windows image.Please check this against your installation diskette.

There are:

services

Isass

user init

Explorer

jusched

vprot

ctfmon

and more...

Follow Naathim's instructions. Like I thought, you are indeed infected. A trained Geek shall assist you shortly there :)

Good luck !

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Thanks. I will go there.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

You are welcome :)

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

ok. I posted a thread. I hope there enough info. I am feeling burned out at the moment and need a break with this mess.

I will check back later on this afternoon.

Thanks to all of you for helping me.. :yes:

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi once again :)

I've taken your thread into custody in the Malware Removal area.

Do not help in this one until our work there will be completed.

Cheers,
Naat :)

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Any news?

:huh: 

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Any news?

:huh:

Your other thread in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal was closed due to a lack of feedback from you. You can see a Moderator reply on it here. Follow it's instructions and send a PM to Staff member to get it re-opened if you wish to receive assistance.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Big goof on my part. I was waiting here for a response. I contacted Naat with an apology and saw what he has done.

He can unlock the thread - if he's willing, cuz I made such a dumb mistake.

Thanks for letting me know.

PS Also, I had not clicked on "Follow this Topic."

Edited by itsmesunny, 20 June 2014 - 02:34 PM.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi Sunny :)

I will ask someone to reopen your thread. It's quite late here, but please perform my instructions listed in the aforementioned thread - I will review everything tomorrow :)

Cheers,

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Thanks Naat!

You're the best.

:thumbsup: 

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hello Sunny :)

Your topic has been reopened per your request.

Cheers,