Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on "starting windows" screen? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hello, I have a Dell XPS l502x. This morning i went to start the laptop and it would not get passed the "starting windows" screen. I ran the recommended startup repair but nothing changed. Also, I was able to get it to boot in safe mode but I don't know what to do once I safe mode. I have also read that I may need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 however my laptop did not come with the Windows 7 disk as it was pre-installed.

And on more thing, I have already unplugged all devices and removed battery. Still no luck.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hi :)

Does that happened after some particular hardware/software installation? Anything more worth mentioning?

If you are able to boot into safe mode, maybe System Restore would work for you?

ALSO::

I don't believe that there's a bootloader corrupted here. If so, Safe Mode would be inaccessible ;)

Edited by Naathim, 13 June 2014 - 12:15 PM.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Hello corn4ahead and welcome to GeeksToGo ! :)

While we are waiting for an official GeeksToGo Helper to assist you, allow me to propose you some solutions first and hopefully one of them will solve your issue.

To me it looks like the bootloader might be damaged, so we could try to repair it. In Safe Mode, open a command prompt with Admin Rights : click on the Start Menu and type in "cmd". Then right-click on the cmd.exe that will appear and select "Run as Admin". From there, a command prompt will open. I'll ask you to run two commands (please wait after the first one is done to run the other one) :

bootrec /fixmgr
And after, this one :
bootrec /fixboot
Once these two commands are done running, restart your computer and see if you're able to boot into Windows normally.

Am I supposed to run it I c:\ windows\system32> bootrec /fixmgr?

When I do it says bootrec is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello corn4ahead and welcome to GeeksToGo ! :)

While we are waiting for an official GeeksToGo Helper to assist you, allow me to propose you some solutions first and hopefully one of them will solve your issue.

To me it looks like the bootloader might be damaged, so we could try to repair it. In Safe Mode, open a command prompt with Admin Rights : click on the Start Menu and type in "cmd". Then right-click on the cmd.exe that will appear and select "Run as Admin". From there, a command prompt will open. I'll ask you to run two commands (please wait after the first one is done to run the other one) :

bootrec /fixmgr
And after, this one :
bootrec /fixboot
Once these two commands are done running, restart your computer and see if you're able to boot into Windows normally.

Am I supposed to run it I c:\ windows\system32> bootrec /fixmgr?

When I do it says bootrec is not recognized as an internal or external command.

What Naathim said is right, sorry about that.

Can you answer is question first ?

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Hi :)

Does that happened after some particular hardware/software installation? Anything more worth mentioning?

If you are able to boot into safe mode, maybe System Restore would work for you?

ALSO::
I don't believe that there's a bootloader corrupted here. If so, Safe Mode would be inaccessible ;)

No. I didn't install anything. I had my laptop connected via HDMI to my computer last night running Netflix and then this morning It wouldn't turn back on. I shall run system restore and report back.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Double post.

Edited by corn4ahead, 13 June 2014 - 12:36 PM.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Write me back the results!

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Well, I guess I don't have any restore points created so there's that....

Any suggestions

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Well, I guess I don't have any restore points created so there's that....

Any suggestions

Alright, except if Naathim have another solution, here's what you can try. Go back into Safe Mode and configure a "clean boot" for the next reboot. Follow this Microsoft article to know how to configure a clean boot (follow the procedure if your Windows version) :

http://support.micro...om/kb/929135/en

Once it's done, restart your computer and see if you can boot normally :)

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I tried the clean boot and it still will not start. What else can I try?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I tried the clean boot and it still will not start. What else can I try?

Boot back into Safe Mode and open another elevated command prompt (like I explained two posts above) and enter the following command :

sfc /scannow

Let the scan complete (to 100%) and after that, tell me what message is returned.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Am I supposed to run it I c:\ windows\system32> sfc /scannow

Or am I supposed to change the drive im running the scan In?

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Don't change anything. Just type in the command (note the space between 'sfc'and '/scannow') and run it.

I'm supervising the thread, FYI.

Cheers,
Naat :)

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I don't know if this means anything but upon starting windows in safe mode, before I type in my password to get the the desktop I get the following message.

"Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting changes....
Do not turn off your computer."

OK. And after it finished reverting the changes. It restart. I tried to reboot in safe mode and it flashed a blue screen with white writing on it and then restart itself. The flash was so quick there was no way for me to read what it says. It does it in safe mode and during regular status now.

So at least it's not getting stuck on the starting windows screen now lol.

So I was not able to run that scan I command prompt.

What to do now?

EDIT.

I Googled how to get the screen to not flash and I got the screen to freeze.

It says "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

and then there's more writing that seems not as important.

Thanks again.

Edited by corn4ahead, 14 June 2014 - 01:54 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I don't know if this means anything but upon starting windows in safe mode, before I type in my password to get the the desktop I get the following message.

"Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting changes....
Do not turn off your computer."

OK. And after it finished reverting the changes. It restart. I tried to reboot in safe mode and it flashed a blue screen with white writing on it and then restart itself. The flash was so quick there was no way for me to read what it says. It does it in safe mode and during regular status now.

So at least it's not getting stuck on the starting windows screen now lol.

So I was not able to run that scan I command prompt.

What to do now?

EDIT.

I Googled how to get the screen to not flash and I got the screen to freeze.

It says "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

and then there's more writing that seems not as important.

Thanks again.

It looks like there's a problem with your current Windows partition from what I understand.

Are you able to boot in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" mode ?