Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on "starting windows" screen? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
No. I was not able to boot into anything.

It was automatically restarting but I disabled that so I could see what the Blue screen said.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It was automatically restarting but I disabled that so I could see what the Blue screen said.

Alright so you can't boot in any mode.

Do you have a bootable DVD or USB Flash Drive with your Windows version installation on it ?

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Do you have a bootable DVD or USB Flash Drive with your Windows version installation on it ?

Unfortunately no, my laptop came pre-installed with confidence home premium and no disk.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Unfortunately no, my laptop came pre-installed with confidence home premium and no disk.

Alright. Do you have access to another computer from which you could create a bootable DVD or USB Flash Drive with your Windows edition installation .iso ?

Are you running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits ?

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Well I'm trying to get a copy on the other laptop I have unfortunately, this other laptop is rather unresponsive.

And yes, it's 64 bit.

Where can I get the .iso from?

Edited by corn4ahead, 14 June 2014 - 11:32 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Well I'm trying to get a copy on the other laptop I have unfortunately, this other laptop is rather unresponsive.

And yes, it's 64 bit.

Where can I get the .iso from?

RIght here :

http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-24209.iso

This is an official Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits from Microsoft servers at Digital River Content website. Not a crack, not pirated, not illegal.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Ok. I got the iso on the my flash drive. What do I do now?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Ok. I got the iso on the my flash drive. What do I do now?

Did you just move the .iso to the USB Flash Drive or did you made the USB bootable with the .iso using a tool like Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool or YUMI ?

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Oh. I just copied it to my flash drive.
What do I need to do to make it Bootable?

The PC I'm using to put the iso on the flash drive is running Vista. I don't know if that matters or not.

EDIT

once I get it to be Bootable (if I do before your next response), what do I need to do? Run a chkdsk? Or just fresh install? Or something else?

Edited by corn4ahead, 14 June 2014 - 09:16 PM.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Corn4ahead,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but real life happened. Please refrain from any other steps for now, because they lead you nowhere... I see there's too much chaos in these steps.
Tomorrow I will jump in here and review this whole thread, we will discuss this one and I will provide you with the next set of instructions.

Regards,
Naat :)

Advertisements

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Ok Thank you. I look forward to your response.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hi :)

I have reviewed this thread and as far as I can tell a very bad coincidence had happened. I refer to automatic updates, which failed and made your machine totally unbootable. 

The only one option I see for now will be trying to do a repair install. You should be able to do it, folowing the steps for a  Repair Install.

But personally I doubt if it will take any effect, because we don't know what about the updates - what exactly failed. Also, because we can't even access your drive in any mode, we can't determine what is going on there.

I am sorry to say that, but I really doubt that we will be able to fix your issue. I really don't like to advise that, but the best course of action would be to use a live Linux CD to back-up your private data to an external drive and completely reformat & reinstall

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Hi :)

I have reviewed this thread and as far as I can tell a very bad coincidence had happened. I refer to automatic updates, which failed and made your machine totally unbootable. 
The only one option I see for now will be trying to do a repair install. You should be able to do it, folowing the steps for a  Repair Install.

But personally I doubt if it will take any effect, because we don't know what about the updates - what exactly failed. Also, because we can't even access your drive in any mode, we can't determine what is going on there.

I am sorry to say that, but I really doubt that we will be able to fix your issue. I really don't like to advise that, but the best course of action would be to use a live Linux CD to back-up your private data to an external drive and completely reformat & reinstall

How can I do a repair install if I'm not able to boot?

Am I supposed to put the windows 7 iso on a Bootable flash drive the go from there?

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

You need to burn the .iso file on a clean DVD or USB flashdrive.

You may do it using ImgBurn for a DVD or RUFUS for a USB drive.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
So is my Computer going to be usuable again or should I start shopping for a new one?