Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus G73jh bootable win7 USB drive...?

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I have installed larger HDD's in my G73jh and in trying to reload Windows 7, I am trying to use a USB drive but I can't get the machine to boot from it. I used the Win7 USB/DVD download tool to load the .iso onto the USB drive so as far as I know it should work. I seem to remember getting this to work once before but I don't remember exactly what I did, and I got it to boot off my win7 DVD and start the installation but the disk was corrupt so it didn't finish. So... what do I need to do to make that machine boot off the USB drive?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hi brettt777 :)

Allow me to assist you while an official helper of GeeksToGo come lend you a hand, alright ? :)

First of all, can you describe me what happens when you want to boot from the USB ? Error message ? Black screen ? It would help in knowing what is really happening. Also, can you explain me how you are trying to boot from that USB ? You changed the boot order in the BIOS and made it first boot device ? You're bringing up the one-time boot menu during the boot and choose to boot from the USB ?

Let's help you fix this issue ! :)

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Allow me to assist you while an official helper of GeeksToGo come lend you a hand, alright ? :)

First of all, can you describe me what happens when you want to boot from the USB ? Error message ? Black screen ? It would help in knowing what is really happening. Also, can you explain me how you are trying to boot from that USB ? You changed the boot order in the BIOS and made it first boot device ? You're bringing up the one-time boot menu during the boot and choose to boot from the USB ?

I get the Asus BIOS screen and then it just goes to a blank screen except for a cursor flashing in the upper left hand corner. No error message at all. And it doesn't matter if I try to boot from the USB drive or the SD card. Neither one works. 

And yes, I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order, making the flash drive #1. How do I get this one time menu during boot up?

old-fart

old-fart

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I'd be wary of messing too much with these kinds of machines. I'd go for pc customer support. It may be that the new hard drive is the glitch. Not that there's anything wrong with it but setting it up properly could be an issue. Once it's properly recognised and rebooted there may still be a matter of getting what you want done to work though usb. Don't brick it.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I get the Asus BIOS screen and then it just goes to a blank screen except for a cursor flashing in the upper left hand corner. No error message at all. And it doesn't matter if I try to boot from the USB drive or the SD card. Neither one works. 

And yes, I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order, making the flash drive #1. How do I get this one time menu during boot up?

Alright. First of all, you said that you loaded a Windows 7 .iso on that USB Flash Drive, right ? May I ask where did you take that Windows 7 .iso from ?