Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enlarge Scanned Photos

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I am scanning photos into my Computer running Windows 8.  What is the best software to be able to enlarge these photos in size?  They open small and I want to print as a full size photo.  Thanks! 

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi jbljohn,

Which brand and model scanner are you using ?

Is it a Photo model scanner ?

With the software the scanner uses most have settings to scan the photo larger.

Also increasing the DPI (dots per inch) will give you better quality photo scans, when they are enlarged.

Then when printing you can also decide the print size of your photo, by right clicking the photo choose preview in Windows 8, but only up to size of the paper in printer.

Always best to use glossy photo paper.

When you do enlarge a photo it can blur mattering to how large you will make it and according to the resolution it was scanned at and the resolution and quality of the photo itself.

For software that can enlarge photos, you can use a Photoshop program, i use Corel PaintShop Pro X6.

Other brands out there like Adobe Photoshop, which have more advanced features.

Most Photo programs give you the option of enlarging photos. But as said previously this can be done with the scanner software and printer too.

There are certain factors that can degrade the quality of those pictures, but with Photoshop programs there are many tools to fix up your photos.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Thank you!  :yes:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your Welcome !

If you feel this information solved your thread here, please respond back on how it did for others who read this, so it can help them too.

Unless you still need more help then we will still try to help,TY.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I have a Canon MG5520 All in One.  May objective is to scan old b &w photos into my computer and then enlarge them to e-mail them.  I have no need to print these just want to share with family via of e-mail.  When I enlarge them they are a little blurred.  How do I make them larger and not blurred is the question.  Thanks! 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Mattering to the quality and original size of the photos you are scanning and how large you make them, will be how blurred they will become.

It's just a matter of testing different sizes till you find one that does not blur too much.

These must be old photos if in B & W i assume, so they may need touching up, this is where a Photoshop program comes in.

If you are not that concerned on using a program to do this, try different DPI (dots per inch) settings, this will increase the resolution for the pics when you enlarge them and should make them somewhat better.

I am not sure this feature works when you use scan to e-mail ( changing DPI ) it should if there is a way to set it before, if you are using thos feature to do this.

Edited by jds63, 16 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.