Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremly Slow System Performance, System Freezing... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Satchfan,

Please enjoy the time with your family and respond once you returned and have more time. My computer issues are far less important.

I have uninstalled Norton and run the removal tool. I have also installed Avast and turned on Windows Firewall. At this point my computer seems to be running much better. Night and day compared to when we first started.

I will await your response and instructions.

paren12

Advertisements

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts
Please enjoy the time with your family and respond once you returned

Thanks, :)

It's 1.20am in the UK now and I'm about to get some much-needed sleep but if there are no other problems, I'll look into the "scrolling" issue when I have a moment tomorrow and if I don't find a solution, will put you in touch with those who can.

Thanks

Satchfan

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Sounds good.

If you dont mind me asking....your avatar picture leads me to believe that you are a Liverpool fan? I lived in London for a few years and if my memory serves me right that is the Liver bird of those who "never walk alone"? :D

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts
your avatar picture leads me to believe that you are a Liverpool fan

You are 100% correct. :spoton:

I am a huge Liverpool fan and used to travel the 500-mile round trip every home game for many years but I now have a rescue dog that can't/won't be left with anyone for the length of time that it took to travel and see the match, (usually leaving at 9.30 in the morning and getting back about 10.30pm and so haven't been for just over three years now.

I do, however watch all their televised matches and still love them massively.

BTW, I have been doing this for a few years now and not one person, (English posters included), has asked me that, so fair play for your observance and glad someone recognised it!

================

I need a bit more information about the "scrolling" issue. Is this a problem with FF and IE or only FF?

Also, have you looked at the touchpad properties page to see how it is set up?

If it is a problem in both browsers and you don't know how to check the settings, we can have a look at your touchpad settings in the registry to see if they are OK

Satchfan.

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Satchfan

I became a Chelsea fan during my time in London (don't judge me....lol) and was lucky enough to make it to a few games at Stantford Bridge, including one Champions League game. I try to follow the BPL as much as possible since I have been back on this side of the pond. But it can be a little difficult with the time difference.

======================

The issue with the scrolling is with both FF and IE.

I went into the mouse properties and tried to update the driver but it said that it was up to date. I though to try and uninstall and then install but was worried that I would have a hard time using the keyboard to get back into the properties to reinstall without the mouse.

paren12

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts

OK let’s look at the reg key:

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.

SystemLook (32-bit)
SystemLook (64-bit)

• double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield - please make sure you include the colon, (:), at the beginning.:

:reg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh

• click the Look button to start the scan.
  • when finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Satchfan

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

SystemLook 04.09.10 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 19:14 on 07/07/2014 by Debbie
04.09.10 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 19:14 on 07/07/2014 by Debbie
Administrator - Administrator - Elevation successful

========== Elevation successfulreg

========== reg ==========
 ==========

[
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnhSOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh]]
(Unable to open key - key not found)
(Unable to open key
 - key not found)

-= EOF =-
-= EOF =-

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts

I became a Chelsea fan during my time in London

Could have been worse!!

Sorry, meant to include that in the last post.

=============================

I could go on trying to resolve this scrolling issue but I think it’s best left to those who are more knowledgeable about hardware issues so if you feel that is the only problem left, I’ll give you some instructions to tidy up the tools we’ve used and give you a link to another of our forums where an expert in that field should be able to help.

Can you let me know if there are any other outstanding problems.

Thanks

Satchfan

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Satchfan"

The only other issue I have found, beyond the scrolling, is trying to access the start menu through control panel. When I try to access "Change Startup Program" I now get a Windows Defender pop-up box that states "Application failed to initialize:0x800106ab"

Not really a big deal. Just odd.

Otherwise the performance of the computer has completely changed. It is working great. I can't thank you enough!!!

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts
When I try to access "Change Startup Program" I now get a Windows Defender pop-up box that states "Application failed to initialize:0x800106ab"

Why are you trying to change the Startup programs?

Windows Defender is giving that message because it is disabled, (as it should be when you have an antivirus running).

Advertisements

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

No reason really. It was just something that I noticed previously and checked again when you asked if there was anything else that I noticed. I guess maybe I am just used to older Windows versions that allowed you to access it anytime.

But there is nothing that I am trying to remove from Startup.

Other than the scrolling issue, I think we are good to clean up.

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts

Your computer does appear to be clean but you should stop "fiddling" with your it: if it is working OK that's fine - if it is not, ask for help. ;)

Now that you’re free from malware, as long as your computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up you computer and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:

Uninstall OTL

• double-click OTL.exe
  • click the CleanUp! button.
  • select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
  • if you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • the tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

NOTE: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

===================================================

Uninstall AdwCleaner

• double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
  • click on Uninstall
  • confirm with Yes.

You can delete all other logs and programs we’ve used that are on your desktop. Just click on them and press Delete.

Create a Restore Point

• click on Start > Control Panel (All Control Panel Items)
  • click on System > System Protection
  • check that you have System Protection turned on for the drive that you want to create a restore point for, (usually C:
  • click Create
  • type in a description for the restore point to help recognize it when doing a System Restore, and click on the Create button.

Remove old restore points

• open Disk Cleanup by clicking Start. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
  • if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
  • in the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
  • if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK
  • click the More Options tab, then under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up
  • in the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete
  • click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Update installed programs

Your versions of Flash Player, Java, and Adobe Reader are out-of-date and need to be removed and updated.

Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.

Uninstall the following programs:

Adobe Flash Player 13.0.0.214
Adobe Reader 10.1.10
Java™ 6 Update 24

• click Start, Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features.
  • click on Adobe Flash Player 13.0.0.214 and then Uninstall.

Repeat this for the other programs listed above plus Eset online scanner.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Go here and download the latest version of Flash Player.

Note: Before you hit the Download now button, uncheck the Chrome offer if it’s not something you want.

NEXT

Visit Adobe and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader.

NEXT

Install the latest version of Java:

Java

NOTE – when you install Java, before clicking on Install, be sure to Uncheck “Install the Ask Toolbar and make Ask my default search provider”

Java.gif

Even though I just had you get the latest version of Java, there is a vulnerability with regards to Java and web browsers. Therefore, we recommend to disable java in web browsers.

More information can be found here.

Recommended programs

SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.

Update and run Malwarebytes. This really is an excellent program that you should also update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.

It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.

I also recommend that you read the following:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes

Help! My computer is slow! by miekiemoes

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet  by Lawrence Abrams

I suggest you go to our Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum and start a new topic about your scrolling issue.

I will keep this open for 24 hours in case you have any problems, after which I’ll close the topic.

Safe computing

Satchfan

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Satchfan,

I have uninstalled OTL, AdwCleaner and created a restore point.

I also uninstalled Adobe flash and reader but am unable to install the newer versions. I can get through to the site and the download starts but when I go to run the exe. it just doesnt do anything. I have turned Avast off while trying to install it but still no luck. If I try and start it again I get a Adobe Acrobat Installer pop up that states "only a single instance of this application can run" 

It seems like the installer is still running but not doing anything.

Not sure what to do about that.

Also just wondering if I should be uninstalling JRT and Hijack This?

paren12

Satchfan

Satchfan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 624 posts

Open “Task Manager” by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete simultaneously.

Stop all the process related to Adobe by right-clicking and selecting "End Process". Also, if msiexec.exe or any version of FlashUtil is in the list, stop those processes also.

Now try to Install the applications again but be patient as Flash Player’s installation is not always started instantly.

should be uninstalling JRT and Hijack This?

You can uninstall HijackThis but just remove the JRT files by deleting them.

paren12

paren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have never had this much trouble installing a program before. I have stopped any processes as mentioned above but can still not get the install program to run.

I have also tried to save it to the desktop and then run it but it will only ask me to allow, which I do, and then nothing happens. I even gave it all night to start up but when I checked this morning it had still not done anything.

I have also tried to turn Avast off when attempting to install and it didnt make a difference.

paren12