Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 browser

8.1 browser

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi,

After  my XP computer died I bought a new super duper tower with Windows 8.1.

What is the best recommended Browser to use and what is the best Email to use.

Regards

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello Rickles :)

The best browser really depends of what you mean by "best". How would you define "best" ? More secure ? Faster ? Who that fully supports HTML5 ? Etc.
In this question the term "best" can be interpreted in many different ways, so knowing what you mean by "best" would help me and others to give you an accurate answer to your question :)

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi,

I would prefer one that is easy to set up and works well in the Windows 8.1 computer.

Regards

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi :)

The most mainstream ones, like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox & Opera are all developed to work with Windows 8.1, so this choice is really up to you, whether you prefer interface & possibilities for each. There's not anything like "the best browser".

Exactly the same applies for e-mail. This choices are purely optional, whether you like gmail, hotmail or any other. And if you meant e-mail clients, you may use Mozilla Thunderbird, The Bat, whatever suits you the best.

If you have trouble with making up your mind, just test each of them fir about a month and if it won't fit you - just move on to another one :)

Cheers,
Naat :)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hi :)

The most mainstream ones, like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox & Opera are all developed to work with Windows 8.1, so this choice is really up to you, whether you prefer interface & possibilities for each. There's not anything like "the best browser".

Exactly the same applies for e-mail. This choices are purely optional, whether you like gmail, hotmail or any other. And if you meant e-mail clients, you may use Mozilla Thunderbird, The Bat, whatever suits you the best.

If you have trouble with making up your mind, just test each of them fir about a month and if it won't fit you - just move on to another one :)

Cheers,
Naat :)

Naathim is right :)

Any Web browsers will do (even Internet Explorer !), in the end, it all depends of how you use them and for what. For exemple here's how I use mine :
  • Google Chrome : It's my everyday browser. I use it for everything except for Web Developement and at work. I love how it works : each open tab and extension have a separate process. Which can come in useful when one of your tab crash and you don't want to close the whole browser, you just have to terminate the process of that tab and continue browsing.
  • Mozilla Firefox : I use it for web developement at school. The Firebug console is very useful and it also offers a lot of useful add-ons (extensions) that are useful for web developpers.
  • Internet Explorer : I use it at work as it's the most compatible browser with our websites and applications : Sharepoint, WebSCCM, Khronos, etc.
In the end, it all depends of what you want to do with your browser and how you use it :)

Edited by AT Inc., 16 June 2014 - 09:48 AM.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi both,

Thank you for the replies.

I have installed Chrome and will work with it for a while.

I have moved off the Apps(?) screen to the more familar start page.

Whilst on the subject, if I open the mail apps I get full screen.

Is there a way to resize this screen?

Regards

Edited by Rickles, 22 June 2014 - 02:53 AM.