Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS EEE PC 1015PE no sound after new hard drive install

• Please log in to reply

lucy.ascher

lucy.ascher

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello everyone,

My Father in Law gave me a ASUS EEE PC 1015pe to fix. I got the infamous BSOD and decided that it was high time to get a new hard drive. I was able to install the hard drive with no issues, the installation of Windows 7 was flawless but the speaker icon on the lower left hand corner has a red X on it. When I double click on it it says that no audio device is installed, and the troubleshooter won't even help with troubleshooting. I have installed the audio drivers (RealTek), as well as go into Device Manager (where oddly enough there is no soundcard device available)

Any one have any ideas? Should I flash the BIOS?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and sung from the mountain tops

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:welcome:

Hi Lucy,

There was no audio issues before you replaced HD ?

You say there is nothing showing in Device Mnanger under sound,video and game controllers ?

Would try reinstalling the drivers again here with the latest  http://support.asus....mgu9dBCiMSvFwgn

Would not advise flashing a BIOS, unless there is an update within the new BIOS you really need.

If it goes wrong you will need to bring it to a tech to fix.

Try the add hardware wizard in Windows 7 also see if it helps. Possible something came loose in process of opening the laptop,Double check this too.

Edited by jds63, 16 June 2014 - 06:18 PM.

lucy.ascher

lucy.ascher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi there!

Thanks for getting back to me.

The laptop had Windows XP installed on it, but the drive was dying and giving me the S.M.A.R.T disk error.

Aside some problems with Windows XP (latency) everything was fine, I was able to listen to sounds, navigate, etc

I was able to add a new hard drive (power lights don't work for some reason but I could care less)

I downloaded all the drivers from ASUS and for some reason that little speaker icon with the red X mocks me. I will check the laptop and see if something got loose or something. I was thinking that it could be something like the i/o ribbon? those ribbons that go across the hard drive. 

Thanks again for your assistance, if you can think of others things I will sing your praises from the highest mountains  :prop:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your Welcome,

Not to familiar with power lights on an internal Hard Drive, external hard drive i am, where is the lights located ?

Maybe if you give me the Model of this Drive i can assist more.

Yes i felt it could be something came loose when you installed the new drive ,but i felt it was possibly with the audio device, not the Hard Drive.

Are you sure nothing is listed in the Device Manager under, sound,video and game controllers ?

If so try disabling then re-enabling it the reboot. Can also look in the sound properties in control panel, to see if you find anything there as default device.

Edited by jds63, 17 June 2014 - 08:26 PM.

lucy.ascher

lucy.ascher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi again!

Here is information about my computer

ASUS EEE PC 1015pe

http://www.asus.com/...specifications/

When I say lights, I mean the power lights not anything inside the computer itself.

I just opened it up to look at it again, and across the hard drive there are these things called Audio Con on the circuit board, where there was a orange yellow ribbon that was attached to it before. Could it be that?

lucy.ascher

lucy.ascher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

This is the cable that broke off:

http://www.google.co...403226828735187

Which could also explain why the power lights won't go on.

If this is the issue I will be happy to buy another one

Edited by lucy.ascher, 18 June 2014 - 07:19 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Lucy,

Hi again!

Here is information about my computer

ASUS EEE PC 1015pe

http://www.asus.com/...specifications/

When I say lights, I mean the power lights not anything inside the computer itself.

I just opened it up to look at it again, and across the hard drive there are these things called Audio Con on the circuit board, where there was a orange yellow ribbon that was attached to it before. Could it be that?

Hi Lucy, this could be the cause of the Audio issue i feel ,try reconnecting this, plus if a cable is broken then certainly you could buy another and replace it.

I saw your computers link before but had Windows 7 starter on it, before you told me it was original to Windows XP.

yOUR GOOGLE LINK DID NOT OPEN.

lucy.ascher

lucy.ascher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi again

When my Father in Law gave me the computer it had Windows XP on it (he got it from someone else)

I was able to load Windows 7 Starter on there and then no sound

I just ordered the new i/o usb power small cable that goes across the hard drive. Hopefully this fixes my issues.

I am sorry that the link didn't open

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Lucy,

It's o.k., sorry for the caps in my last line in my other post.

As said i am not positive this will fix audio issue, i thought you stated there was something possibly disconnected for the audio also.

If so, this is what i meant in previous posts, when you originally opened up the laptop to replace the Hard Drive i suspected you may have loosened or not connected something having to do with your Audio.

This would be the reason for laptop not to detect an audio device.

:yes:

O.k. i misread your last post that this audio issue started right after the installation of Windows 7 Starter ,not after you opened the laptop to change the hard drive .

Is this correct so i do not confuse this ?

Edited by jds63, 19 June 2014 - 12:22 PM.