Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Gateway FX

upgrade processor case motherboard ssd fans cpu 3.0 usb

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, you will need to remove the old TIM from the top of the CPU and the heatsink plate before installing in the new board.  

As all ports on the back of he case work, it is the missing pin.   From the pic, looks as if it was never there.   Before pulling the rig apart, Might be worth contacting Asus directly, as well as the retailer, tell them the problem, include those pics. 

Advertisements

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Yes, you will need to remove the old TIM from the top of the CPU and the heatsink plate before installing in the new board.  

As all ports on the back of he case work, it is the missing pin.   From the pic, looks as if it was never there.   Before pulling the rig apart, Might be worth contacting Asus directly, as well as the retailer, tell them the problem, include those pics. 

I called the manufacturer Asrock and they weren't real talkative. Just told me to give them my email and they would send me a RMA form (which I never got). I'm probably going to do the RMA through newegg which was where I bought it from. I looked up a better photo of my motherboard and there was a pin where I have none on that picture. I included the picture I used as a reference. Just out of curiosity, if the TIM isn't keeping me from separating the processor from the heat sink why does it need to be removed then replaced for the new MB?

edit: disregard the blue line, it isn't pointing to anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• missing pin 3.png

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 21 July 2014 - 05:47 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Stock cooler pre applied TIM is paraffin base, on initial heating, paraffin evaporates, compound spreads out displays air bforming a heat transfer layer..   If you separate heatsink from CPU and then assemble again, initial process is not performed and air is trapped, transfer layer performs poorly.

Cleaning and applying new TIM, (usually as a small BB sized blob in the centre of the CPU top, spreads out under pressure, expelling air, forming a transfer layer. 

I use this TIM as it is electrically non-conductive. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Stock cooler pre applied TIM is paraffin base, on initial heating, paraffin evaporates, compound spreads out displays air bforming a heat transfer layer..   If you separate heatsink from CPU and then assemble again, initial process is not performed and air is trapped, transfer layer performs poorly.

Cleaning and applying new TIM, (usually as a small BB sized blob in the centre of the CPU top, spreads out under pressure, expelling air, forming a transfer layer. 

I use this TIM as it is electrically non-conductive. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038

will removing and reapplying the TIM void my warranty?

EDIT: Also out of curiosity could you explain the purpose of the following steps?

These are the steps I would like you to follow.

1.   With the PSU off, disconnect everything from the case, except the PSU, > remove the side panel, lay the case down flat.

2.   Disconnect the HDD, > switch the PSU on, > press the power on button, count to ten, > Press the power on button and hold in until the computer powers off.

3.   Switch off the PSU and disconnect the cable.

EDIT: Im trying to round up all the parts to send back, but have run into another problem. I found a plastic bag with no words printed on it, only numbers. I have no idea what goes in it. Is there any way to find out? I have include pictures of the container

Attached Thumbnails

• pack 1.jpg
  • pack 2.jpg

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 21 July 2014 - 10:11 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

will removing and reapplying the TIM void my warranty?

No.

1.   With the PSU off, disconnect everything from the case, except the PSU, > remove the side panel, lay the case down flat.

If you are removing the MB/working on the computer, you don't want any external devices connected, except the PSU for the second step.

2.   Disconnect the HDD, > switch the PSU on, > press the power on button, count to ten, > Press the power on button and hold in until the computer powers off.

This step is to warm up the CPU/TIM but, disconnecting the HDD is being preconscious, because switching of the computer vie the case button, (hard shut down) and not the correct way via the OS start menu, might cause file corruption. 

3.   Switch off the PSU and disconnect the cable.

To make the computer safe to work on.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I just edit my last post with more important info. It is about packaging.

EDIT: nvm, I think that container was from something else and got mixed in.

EDIT: Correction, it was for the IO shield.

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 27 July 2014 - 02:58 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No, a Google search brings up nothing for the number.

Could be the bag for the I/O shield. 

Providing the CPU protective cap is fitted and the board inside the anti static bag, not supper important that everything is in it's original bags, just that all the parts are returned.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The motherboard has been shipped out, now all I can do is wait and hope they send me a new one. In the mean time I would like to continue our HDD conversation.

What were you going to say before the MB fiasco happened?

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 25 July 2014 - 04:50 PM.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 27 July 2014 - 10:40 AM.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

This has been a very nice informative Topic and i enjoyed how much description and thought went into iammykyl answers. Very well done! I am impressed Keep up the good work

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 27 July 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Advertisements

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Not trying to step on anyones toes, Just read all of the Thread and to answer Leo_Leonardo With his Question (Tips for removing and applying TIM) iammykyl Gave the link on page 3 of this thread to help with the removal of TIM see link below

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

This has been a very nice informative Topic and i enjoyed how much description and thought went into iammykyl answers. Very well done! I am impressed Keep up the good work

How silly of me, sometimes it hard to keep up with what has been answered when a topic goes on long enough.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I've been looking at some thermal compounds and am very confused about what the real difference is between them. Can anyone tell me if there is a major difference between these three compounds? Link_1 Link_2 Link_3

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

They are all exactly the same, MX 4, the one I always use.   If you buying on the Newegg site, the cleaning kit is on offer, > http://www.newegg.co...Item=35-100-010

I think you had some questions about the HDDs???

To HelpMeHelpYou

Thank you.   You could click the up arrow, bottom right of a reply window, when you think anyone's post is worth a point. Trying hard to get ahead of Phillpower2, :whistling:   

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Gday.

They are all exactly the same, MX 4, the one I always use.   If you buying on the Newegg site, the cleaning kit is on offer, > http://www.newegg.co...Item=35-100-010

I think you had some questions about the HDDs???

To HelpMeHelpYou

Thank you.   You could click the up arrow, bottom right of a reply window, when you think anyone's post is worth a point. Trying hard to get ahead of Phillpower2, :whistling:   

Thank you, with all the different prices on those thermal compounds I thought for sure I was missing something. Yes, I do. You suggested I put my OS on a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003 (link here). I'm actually thinking about going ahead and buying the 250 GB Samsung SSD you suggested so that I don't have to worry about moving the OS again. A related question would be whether or not I should go ahead and buy a couple of the ST1000DM003 to store my HD footage and programs on, or should I use a different kind of storage device for that? Also is there an advantage to having multiple hard drives versus a single large one (2TB-3TB)? For example, would two 1TB HDDs have and advantage over a single 2TB HDD?

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 27 July 2014 - 10:15 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Using a 250GB SSD is a good idea, but I suggested the spinner, (ST1000DM003) to keep costs down.

A related question would be whether or not I should go ahead and buy a couple of the ST1000DM003 to store my HD footage and programs on, or should I use a different kind of storage device for that?

Those drives are right, good speed and capacity, most cost effect way to buy.

Also is there an advantage to having multiple hard drives versus a single large one (2TB-3TB)? For example, would two 1TB HDDs have and advantage over a single 2TB HDD?

Having smaller multiple drives is 1. safety, if you had a 4TB drive and it fails, you loose everything. 2. if you are using software capable of using multiple drives, or software like FRAPS, (read from one drive, write to a second drive)

Info, >  https://forums.adobe...662972?tstart=0