Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Install Windows 7 To One Partition & Create Another Partiti

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If you don't mind my sticky beaking?   I had followed your previous Topic and think a couple of items need checking before you start transferring any files.

Did you upgrade the PSU as advised?

Did you disconnect the old drive before installing the OS on the new drive?

Advertisements

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Haven't but will be changing my PSU.  Yes I did disconnect the old drive before installing the OS on the new drive.  Matter of fact I paid so much attention to making sure the new and old drives were connected/disconnected that I left my back up "My Book" drive connected and thought I had deleted the partitions on it when installing the Win7.  There was a good 30min. where I thought I had lost that data and wasan't feeling so good... hehe.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Screenie.  Don't worry about it.  Things happen.

Alright Teach :)
In the "Unallocated space after" text field, I want you to enter the following value : 353,958 (no need to put the , I just put it so you can read the number more easily) and then click on "Ok".

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Didn't seem to do anything.  First screenie is showing where I input the number of MB.  Second screen shows the result after I pressed OK.  I did notice though that if I play around with the slider dots on the left and right of the bar on the top below where is says "Decide Size and Position" it fills in the numbers for me and I can "create" a 120GB partition.  Don't know if that's what I need to do.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • Untitled.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Didn't seem to do anything.  First screenie is showing where I input the number of MB.  Second screen shows the result after I pressed OK.  I did notice though that if I play around with the slider dots on the left and right of the bar on the top below where is says "Decide Size and Position" it fills in the numbers for me and I can "create" a 120GB partition.  Don't know if that's what I need to do.

Alright we'll do it the other way around then. Grab the right slider and shrink it (go to the left) until the number 353,958 appear in the "Unallocated space after" and click on "OK".

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Done.  Now I have showing on the bottom

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Done.  Now I have showing on the bottom

Alright now right-click on the "Unallocated Space" and give it a name. "Files" for exemple or "Data". Once done, leave everything as it is except for "Create under" and switch "Logicial" to "Principal" in the drop down list. Once it's all done, click on "Confirm" ! :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the reply TeachPower. there is always the chance that with 2 drives installed, windows Installer puts some files on the second drive and when it is formatted, Windows no longer Boots. 

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Aura... I right click on the unallocated part but no option to name or change label so I can name it "Data" or whatever.  The only one that gives me that option is if I right-click the now C: 120GB partition which allows me to name it by changing label.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Aura... I right click on the unallocated part but no option to name or change label so I can name it "Data" or whatever.  The only one that gives me that option is if I right-click the now C: 120GB partition which allows me to name it by changing label.

Oups sorry, you have to click on "Create Partition" first. I thought I included it in my precedent post ! My bad !

Advertisements

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Do I do all that

"Files" for exemple or "Data". Once done, leave everything as it is except for "Create under" and switch "Logicial" to "Principal" in the drop down list. Once it's all done, click on "Confirm" ! :)

Do all do what you said above to this menu?  There is no Principal.  Did you mean Primary?  By switching it to Primary (if that's what you mean) will that make anything I install as far as apps/progams/data be installed/added to the unallocated partition I name "Data"?  I do remember you saying something about changing some registry values to get things installed to the larger partition instead of the partition where Win7 is located.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Do I do all that

"Files" for exemple or "Data". Once done, leave everything as it is except for "Create under" and switch "Logicial" to "Principal" in the drop down list. Once it's all done, click on "Confirm" ! :)

Do all do what you said above to this menu?  There is no Principal.  Did you mean Primary?  By switching it to Primary (if that's what you mean) will that make anything I install as far as apps/progams/data be installed/added to the unallocated partition I name "Data"?  I do remember you saying something about changing some registry values to get things installed to the larger partition instead of the partition where Win7 is located.

Sorry, yes I meant "Primary". French is my native language and so is the program when I installed it therefore I just did a very bad translation :tongue: And no, a Primary partition is a partition where an OS can be installed and booted from, it doesn't affect if your programs are going to be installed there or not. The registry values edit will lately.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Just to be clear.  The Win7 OS is in the 120GB partition.  The unallocated partition with 345GB is where I will be putting data/programs.  Wouldn't the 120GB partition be the "Primary" as it would be booting up from the partition with the OS?  I want to make sure I am doing this correctly and also understand what I am doing so I can do it again and teach others =).

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Just to be clear.  The Win7 OS is in the 120GB partition.  The unallocated partition with 345GB is where I will be putting data/programs.  Wouldn't the 120GB partition be the "Primary" as it would be booting up from the partition with the OS?  I want to make sure I am doing this correctly and also understand what I am doing so I can do it again and teach others =).

You're right on the first part :)
A "Primary" partition is a type of partition, it have no impact on which partition is the first over the other one. As long as Windows is installed and runs from the C: partition, you have nothing to worry about. A "Primary" type partition is a partition where an OS (like Windows or a GNU/Linux distro) can be installed and booted from, that's it. Which means that on the new partition that we'll create, you could install Ubuntu and boot from that partition :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Do I have to install Win7 on the 345GB partition too? I don't want to dual-boot. I just want Win7 and have two partitions... one for Win7 and the other for my data.